Investing General Discussion

Haus

<Silver Donator>
Am I insane that right now cash inflows I have are piling up because I can't see any smart place to put money if I plan on it being there for a year? (i.e. I'm not one of you wacky day traders. heh)

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Am I insane that right now cash inflows I have are piling up because I can't see any smart place to put money if I plan on it being there for a year? (i.e. I'm not one of you wacky day traders. heh)
You're roughly 20% discount (SPY) from the highs. Can we go lower? Certainly. The trick is, not to try and bottom tick the market. Scale in appropriately. If you haven't put money to work yet at these levels, you should have a think about how often you get 20% discounts to market. By all means, leave some dry powder on the side in case we want to head lower.

Bigger picture is, we are far closer to terminal (Fed funds) rate than we started the tightening mess a year ago. There can always be some macro news to drag us lower, but we can also equally just print some good CPI news next week / next month and we start grinding back up on talks of Fed easing.

*edit* I did just catch you specifically mentioned a year. At least a year (or longer)? Or just 1 year? Because that is certainly a more difficult question and definitely need to ask yourself how much risk you are open to. JEPI has been a favorite here and Sanrith Descartes Sanrith Descartes / Blazin Blazin can speak on entries here. I think the steal of the year was getting in when it hit $50 back in October. (JEPI currently pays roughly 11+% annual div return, paying monthly dividends).

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Some hefty price cuts to Model 3 and Model Y in China and South Korea. (13.5% and 10% respectively)

Further fueling rumors of falling demand. Tesla down 5% overnight back to lows.

TD Ameritrade Turns Off Day Trading Buying Power For Tesla Stock​

byBenzinga Newsdesk
January 5, 2023 10:39 AM | 18 seconds read

Last edited:

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Assuming I read your post correctly, that the cash will be for a year+ then I agree with Jysin Jysin , the Market is discounted and put some cash to work. Over a long time horizon by on pullbacks and sit back and wait.

If you mean only a year max, then again I agree with Jysin that its more tricky. JEPI has indeed returned well for a low beta instrument. Normally I would piss on bonds but right now a bond or CD for a year might be a good investment (3-4% return-ish). Very low risk.

• 1Like

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Fed has stated wage gains as a primary (current) driver of inflation. I am sure this is why market has popped. This is good news for Fed, bad for employees.

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Anyone done any research on the GEHC spinoff? Its a profitable segment and I like the space. I am just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on where valuation will end up in the next couple of quarters.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
In complex markets no one thing is the only thing. Does lower than expected inventories negate very mild and warm weather across Europe . Think how easy things would be if they were as binary as you present. There is nothing to figure out, the net aggregate opinion of all market participants weighing all data on all time frames to find a price
Guess you’ve never seen an Elon Tweet before!

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
If you're only looking for a year, max out the I-Bonds which are paying almost 7% right now.

After that, I'd say there are a lot of other options like bonds and CD's which, with interest rates higher than they've been in forever, should give you a decent return.

If you're going longer than a year, well, everything is on sale.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Guess you’ve never seen an Elon Tweet before!
Elon Musk Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
1673016891420.png

1673016878323.png

• 4Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 4 users

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
META pushing up against the 100-DMA. First time it has hit it in over a year. If it clears it, there is clear sailing up a good 20% to the 200-DMA.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
AMD is testing $60. If it fails to hold it starts to get into the interesting range again. I like it around $52-$53.