Investing General Discussion

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
After messing around with AI stuff for the past month, my feeling is Google is going to be fucked in the near future unless they have a super secret AI program nobody knows about.
It's not super secret, they have tons of AI.

It just isn't a toy that people can directly play with in a browser so there's 0 hype.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
It's not super secret, they have tons of AI.

It just isn't a toy that people can directly play with in a browser so there's 0 hype.

Oh I know they have ai, but from what I've read they are very behind. Also it seems like the very nature of how ai is used would likely destroy their current business model. I'm no expert though, just going off things I'm reading

Wingz

Being Poor Sucks.
Bought cheap spy puts for Fri. Can't imagine it won't mellow out by then but it probably won't.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
People saying that ChatGPT is going to replace Google search don't understand how ChatGPT works. It's (mostly) great for information that is already in its data set, but cannot incorporate new information without entirely re-training the model. New website? New product? News story? Forum post? It doesn't exist to chat GPT.

It's obviously going to happen sometime that these tools will dynamically scrape and ingest live data, but we're easily many years out from that reality. The pipeline doesn't exist now and it's not a trivial problem to solve. GPT-3 took about a month and $5M in electricity to train.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
People saying that ChatGPT is going to replace Google search don't understand how ChatGPT works. It's (mostly) great for information that is already in its data set, but cannot incorporate new information without entirely re-training the model. New website? New product? News story? Forum post? It doesn't exist to chat GPT.

It's obviously going to happen sometime that these tools will dynamically scrape and ingest live data, but we're easily many years out from that reality. The pipeline doesn't exist now and it's not a trivial problem to solve. GPT-3 took about a month and $5M in electricity to train.
Yeah, that's what I've been saying. There's no way to turn GPT into realtime search without risking it turning into Taybot overnight.

• 1Truth!

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
No idea how credible Paul Buchheit is, but this definitely caught my eye: Gmail creator warns Google is 'only a year or two away from total disruption' because of AI like ChatGPT

I'll leave it to others to argue about the difficulty of implementing ai into a search engine, but I guess my point was, after playing around with chatGPT and using it a lot over the last month, I can easily see how what he is saying is true.

In fairness, I'm sure it depends a lot on use case. I have no idea what fraction of google searches are looking for established knowledge, but it's probably high. And while it might not be technically part of the model I'm sure someone will come up with a plugin that partially integrates traditional search results in a chat framework. Maybe that's better than just using the search directly? Dunno.

Edit: Yeah, that link describes pretty much what I'm talking about. I'm not sure the extra man in the middle is obviously an improvement, but it might be.

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>

lol ppl don’t understand the difference between a web crawler and ML model. Peak stupid.

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
After messing around with AI stuff for the past month, my feeling is Google is going to be fucked in the near future unless they have a super secret AI program nobody knows about.
They can buy anyone they want. Dont think for a minute some little AI start-up is going to be fucking them. For that matter some big AI company isnt going to be fucking them. Companies of this size and scale do the fucking. Take a look sometime at how many acquisitions of small companies MSFT has made in the last 30 years.

1675297361281.png

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Bought cheap spy puts for Fri. Can't imagine it won't mellow out by then but it probably won't.
I'm curious, since its more of a gamble why not do a spread and cover your bases in case it moves up instead of down?

Dice Vegas GIF by The Weeknd

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
No idea how credible Paul Buchheit is, but this definitely caught my eye: Gmail creator warns Google is 'only a year or two away from total disruption' because of AI like ChatGPT

I'll leave it to others to argue about the difficulty of implementing ai into a search engine, but I guess my point was, after playing around with chatGPT and using it a lot over the last month, I can easily see how what he is saying is true.
GOOGL's big worry isnt GPT per se, its MSFT taking a stake in GPT. MSFT who is a> ginormous, b> a cash cow, and c> has the number 2 competing search engine in the world. MSFT eventually rolling GPT in Bing is what GOOGL should be concerned about. MSFT is one of the few threats to GOOGL that they cant buy.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 1 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
They can buy anyone they want. Dont think for a minute some little AI start-up is going to be fucking them. For that matter some big AI company isnt going to be fucking them. Companies of this size and scale do the fucking. Take a look sometime at how many acquisitions of small companies MSFT has made in the last 30 years.

View attachment 456478
I don't think ChatGPT is a threat to Google but I do think it's a huge boon to MSFT. MSFT has been hindered by having a decent-but-unpopular search engine. It now has a new toy. It has already integrated ChatGPT into Teams, and will be integrating it into Word, Outlook, Excel soon, then likely PowerBI soon after that. PowerBI's low-code solutions become no-code solutions. The value that ChatGPT will add to Microsoft's existing product stack will massively outweigh the few billion it will pour into the company.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I don't think ChatGPT is a threat to Google but I do think it's a huge boon to MSFT. MSFT has been hindered by having a decent-but-unpopular search engine. It now has a new toy. It has already integrated ChatGPT into Teams, and will be integrating it into Word, Outlook, Excel soon, then likely PowerBI soon after that. PowerBI's low-code solutions become no-code solutions. The value that ChatGPT will add to Microsoft's existing product stack will massively outweigh the few billion it will pour into the company.
I only use Bing. Mainly because I really dont like GOOGL as a company. Bing tends to censor less shit too.

• 1Truth!

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
MSFT eventually rolling GPT in Bing
Bing yes, but also everything else. Microsoft has the best business product stack ever made and almost all of it gets better with ChatGPT. It also has a licensing schema that ChatGPT For Business fits nicely into. AI-enhanced versions of app could be a per-user addon license even.

Wingz

Being Poor Sucks.
I'm curious, since its more of a gamble why not do a spread and cover your bases in case it moves up instead of down?

Dice Vegas GIF by The Weeknd

2 reasons:

1) I use webull so I don't know if I can actually do that but most importantly.

2) I don't really understand how those work so I don't do something I don't understand. Its really that simple. Buy/Sell call and put. Buy / sell stock, I get that.

Calendar spreads, debit spreads etc. To me that's fairly high concept stuff and is pretty complicated and so far I haven't seen something that really explains it really well to me so I just don't mess with them.

AKA:

Mental Health Reaction GIF by CBS

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider

View attachment 456478

Yeah, FWIW I never said anything about OpenAI fucking anyone, including Google. What I said was that the emergence of useful AI and how it can be integrated into search engines (among other things) will fuck Google if they fail to adapt very quickly. Like you mentioned, everything I'm reading right now is pointing at Bing/Microsoft as the main threat.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Bing yes, but also everything else. Microsoft has the best business product stack ever made and almost all of it gets better with ChatGPT. It also has a licensing schema that ChatGPT For Business fits nicely into. AI-enhanced versions of app could be a per-user addon license even.
Yeah they will monetize and license the living fuck out of this shit. its my second biggest holding for a reason.

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Yeah, FWIW I never said anything about OpenAI fucking anyone, including Google. What I said was that the emergence of useful AI and how it can be integrated into search engines (among other things) will fuck Google if they fail to adapt very quickly. Like you mentioned, everything I'm reading right now is pointing at Bing/Microsoft as the main threat.
My bad. You said "dont think for a minute..." and I sort of instantly forgot that part of the sentence and focused on the rest of it.

Melissa Villasenor Oops GIF by Saturday Night Live