Investing General Discussion

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I wonder if news is leaking of AMZN moving forward with cellphone market entry? Only thing I can think of.
Seems they are getting battered by environmentalist calls to the EPA for abandoned lead cabling left by the telcos (T / VZ etc).

1689603861688.png

**EDIT**
T hit a 30yr low today

Last edited:
  • 1Like
  • 1WTF
Reactions: 1 users

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Kind of opens a can of worms of unknown liability. It may seem cheap here, but start getting smashed with lead poisoning fines and lawsuits and it will be an immediate hit to the dividend. Best wait this out a bit. This is likely to be drawn out politically / legally.

• 2Like

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
If you factor in the fact that China has no qualms with manipulating data, I'd say it is if you factor in they already padded those numbers.

• 2Like

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
For all these tech stocks that have had an enormous run up, are people seriously going to hold them through earnings?
Well the alternative is you could sell them before earnings like I did with my META last quarter...

• 1Worf
  • 1Paper Hands

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Kind of opens a can of worms of unknown liability. It may seem cheap here, but start getting smashed with lead poisoning fines and lawsuits and it will be an immediate hit to the dividend. Best wait this out a bit. This is likely to be drawn out politically / legally.
I doubt we will see any type of issue. All the legacy telcos were overseen by the 50 public service commissions of the 50 states. The telcos will just say "the state was fine with it, blame them".

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Not quite sure the market agrees with you there.

View attachment 482847
Oh the markets and the lawsuits are two different things entirely. I was speaking strictly to the liability. The amount of miles of lead cables in underground conduit runs is a number that would boggle the mind. Oh and the REALLY funny part is lots of those lead cables were pulled through transite ducts. For those that have never heard of transite...Transite was a brand of asbestos-cement.

Wait until the environmentalists find out all that lead is encased in asbestos. Vast majority of those transite ducts collapsed on themselves decades ago so removing the lead would mean removing the transite. Now, unlike the lead cables, removing those broken transite concrete ducts would be an actual health safety hazard.

ps.. The Federal gubmint cant afford to have T and VZ close their doors over this. If they did the Feds would lose their ability to track all those citizens' every movement via their cellphone gps units.

• 4Like
  • 2Worf
Reactions: 5 users

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
As a newly minted shareholder, Blazin Blazin I would write Bob Iger a sternly worded letter.
My daughter asked me why I bought shares and if the company was doing better. I told her no it's a giant shit salad and a complete disaster all around...which is why I bought shares. Nearing the XOM "Uninvestable" level soon.

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Oh the markets and the lawsuits are two different things entirely. I was speaking strictly to the liability. The amount of miles of lead cables in underground conduit runs is a number that would boggle the mind. Oh and the REALLY funny part is lots of those lead cables were pulled through transite ducts. For those that have never heard of transite...Transite was a brand of asbestos-cement.

Wait until the environmentalists find out all that lead is encased in asbestos. Vast majority of those transite ducts collapsed on themselves decades ago so removing the lead would mean removing the transite. Now, unlike the lead cables, removing those broken transite concrete ducts would be an actual health safety hazard.

ps.. The Federal gubmint cant afford to have T and VZ close their doors over this. If they did the Feds would lose their ability to track all those citizens' every movement via their cellphone gps units.

So...buy the dip?

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
Where is the cash parked? Fidelity cash sweep pays ~4.7%. That’s reassuring for me, at least, where I’ve taken some risk off the table in equities.

I never realized it made that much. Just moved money from my bank account to there, may as well earn that while sitting liquid. My account has it in SPAXX , so thats paying over 4 percent? neato

• 1To the Moon!
Reactions: 1 user