Investing General Discussion

ShakyJake

<Donor>
I have surprisingly seen a lot, compared to how many are on the road. I even saw SUV versions which I didn’t know they made til I saw one. Not even counting the one truck at my work.
Same here. I've seen 2 or 3 running around in bumfuck Virginia.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Tsla is fast approaching a trillion dollar valuation itself.

Apple joining the AI party.

12:05 [AAPL] Said to be working on large language model AI framework named 'Ajax' - press
  • Apple has created an internal ChatGPT style bot for employees and hopes to challenge OpenAI's tools
While the chat capabilities of chatgpt are great for wowing the masses, have any of these companies demonstrated solid use cases of how AI is going to revolutionize business practices or open up new possibilities?

Microsoft anounced yesterday it was going to charge $30/month to access its AI capabilities in office365 which is why it popped 5%.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I saw a real life Rivian on the road today.

I think this is the appropriate thread for such an anecdote.

Nobody in any other thread here will have any idea what I'm talking about.
Someone on my street has the electric hummer.

It is a very strange experience when it speeds past you at 40 while walking along a country road.

• 1Thoughts & Prayers

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Hmmm, what happened to AI? First ASML now TSMC.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Burns

Second Baltimore office building to take a huge (69%) hair cut in the last 30 days:
2023-07-20 07.02.04 www.bizjournals.com c120ae875507.png

2023-07-20 07.00.36 twitter.com afb4edf9397d.png

• 1Like
  • 1Worf

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
  • 2Like

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
The best thing that could happen to this country is the diffusion of people in cities out to the suburbs to make more smaller towns viable.
The suburbs are just cities with bigger lawns and less crime, but all the same fundamental problems as cities.

What this country needs is for people to return to actual small towns, the normal units for human civilization.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Break

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Is now a good time to buy Redfin? They're not far from all-time lows, once the housing market recovers years from now I'm thinking they would rally massively, especially as technology continues to streamline the home buying process and they expand into other markets, displacing the old realtor model.

1689877049756.png

• 1Like

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
Is now a good time to buy Redfin? They're not far from all-time lows, once the housing market recovers years from now I'm thinking they would rally massively, especially as technology continues to streamline the home buying process and they expand into other markets, displacing the old realtor model.
Just my opinion, but they use AI models to price houses and I know that they were getting absolutely skunked in late 2021-2022 due to that model failing massively. I guess if you think AI will be effective in pricing houses in the future its probably the company to buy. I couldn't speak to fundamentals or anything like that, but anecdotally, when we were shopping for our house we used Redfin to find them then worked with a local agent to do the actual purchase. We tried to use Redfin but it sent us to an Indian dude and we weren't interested in that.

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Looks like NVDA didn't take the aapl AI news too well, its almost back to its low last week. It also didn't make a new high, so do we finally see the downturn? Here's hoping, still holding those NVDS calls

• 1Like
  • 1Diamond Hands

Break

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Just my opinion, but they use AI models to price houses and I know that they were getting absolutely skunked in late 2021-2022 due to that model failing massively. I guess if you think AI will be effective in pricing houses in the future its probably the company to buy. I couldn't speak to fundamentals or anything like that, but anecdotally, when we were shopping for our house we used Redfin to find them then worked with a local agent to do the actual purchase. We tried to use Redfin but it sent us to an Indian dude and we weren't interested in that.
It's not just AI, they take a smaller cut than the standard realtor model and from what I read people really liked the service whereever it's available. People typically like realtors too but showing people houses and accentuating the positives isn't exactly a skill required to sell every property.

Maybe AI/ML could work with Realtor drones who fly around the property and even inside to get video, create 3d models automatically with LIDAR etc... show off potential renovations with different flooring, paint etc, I think there's a lot of potential for a company like Redfin do things for real estate that the average realtor won't have a clue about. Sounds like they made some really bad bets right before terrible market conditions hit. If they're solvent as a company I think I might buy a small stake and just hold it.

• 1Like

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>

View attachment 483303

assuming you're familier with the home buying/selling process and the 'old' realtor model, go try a redfin agent and get back to me with how you think they're doing

they get away with charging 1% for a reason

• 1Like

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Could anyone suggest an investment service that offers automatic deposit functionality, alongside automatic investments into chosen stocks and ETFs? Ideally, this service should accommodate fractional investing, allowing for flexible distribution of funds across the selected stocks according to the desired percentages.

I know mutual funds allow for this, but I want specific stocks and ETFs.

EDIT: It appears RobinHood allows for this. Any issues with these guys?

Last edited:

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Could anyone suggest an investment service that offers automatic deposit functionality, alongside automatic investments into chosen stocks and ETFs? Ideally, this service should accommodate fractional investing, allowing for flexible distribution of funds across the selected stocks according to the desired percentages.

No, except for the time they paused trading on certain stocks, during COVID, to keep their largest shareholder solvent longer.

• 1Worf

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>

SoFi is probably better for what you want. Also works as a bank.

• 1Like

ShakyJake

<Donor>
I asked ChatGPT to create me a balanced, commodity-focused portfolio. Anyone see anything wrong with these selections?

1. **Exxon Mobil Corp (XOM)** - Oil and Gas (18%)
2. **Chevron Corporation (CVX)** - Oil and Gas (13%)
3. **BHP Group (BHP)** - Metals and Mining (13%)
4. **Rio Tinto (RIO)** - Metals and Mining (8%)
5. **Vanguard Materials ETF (VAW)** - Diversified (10%)
6. **Invesco DB Commodity Index Tracking Fund (DBC)** - Diversified Commodities (9%)
7. **SPDR Gold Trust (GLD)** - Gold (9%)
8. **First Trust Water ETF (FIW)** - Water (9%)
9. **iShares Silver Trust (SLV)** - Silver (11%)