Investing General Discussion

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm

They've got this all wrong, as usual. Focus on product instead of politics. They view their social positions as neutral, broad accommodations and are surprised when people disagree with shoving them into films and other media forms. Going to take a long time to win back those they've lost with recent policies and decisions. Will they sell off ABC/ESPN etc. and focus on their historical bread and butter? Promising $60b in parks upgrades is a huge number.
Disney has also faced social media backlash from conservative commentators over the casting of Halle Bailey, a Black actress, in the lead role of Ariel in “The Little Mermaid," though the movie ended up making $570 million worldwide, making it the seventh (ninth) highest grossing film of 2023 so far, according to Boxofficemojo.
Thats a pretty big surprise to me. I dont track movies - but the way everyone acted about the movie - I was under the impression that its box office sales were absolutely horrid. I guess, in a way that if its attached to Disney, there is a certain level of success. That, or I need to exit the echo chamber a bit.

On a separate note - Why is Etrade so damn caught up with NKLA stock? Is it because its so cheap that you can double your money over night, or what? The shit just seems volatile as hell and all I can really see from the company is that they delivered their first set of inventory.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
It's a bit surprising, but look at the list. It's more a function of nothing worth a shit being out in theaters, and I'm guessing a lot less people spending their money there.

It still made shit money for what they expected.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Edaw

Parody
<Gold Donor>

buckle up let's go GIF by Comedy Central

• 1Dislike
  • 1Thoughts & Prayers
Reactions: 1 users

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Market's been trading sideways since like June. Guess we're finally going to break out of it, and not in a good direction.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Jobless numbers well below expectations plus

US Philadelphia Fed Business Outlook Sep: -13.5 (est -1.0; prev 12.0)

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
still not clear if this will just be a check back to SPY ~430 as previous dips or if we really make a run at the original breakout around 422. If a more protracted decline don't look for red everyday. May be opportunity to buy dips and sell rips as we stair step our way down. We can all see the reasons for a more serious decline which of course is why I'm skeptical. Probably worth throwing the Jap Yen and Jap 10yr bond on your screen for this period.

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Sold some treasuries and used the cash to write puts on SPLG at $47 strike, Nov expiry. 26 cent premium. This is the equivalent of the $400 strike on SPY. This would be a price going back to March.

• 2Tendies

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I really don't know how Blazin Blazin calls these SPY exits so well, so consistently. We should all just listen to him. I was so close to pulling the trigger but I didn't know what to do with the money if I did. My backup plan is to just keep buying more when the price goes down.

As a small consolation, I did somewhat coincidentally sell my FEQIX from my Roth at the top, because it was up 30% but has otherwise underperformed.

• 1Solidarity

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I really don't know how Blazin Blazin calls these SPY exits so well, so consistently. We should all just listen to him. I was so close to pulling the trigger but I didn't know what to do with the money if I did. My backup plan is to just keep buying more when the price goes down.

As a small consolation, I did somewhat coincidentally sell my FEQIX from my Roth at the top, because it was up 30% but has otherwise underperformed.
Honestly, don't think just follow the advice.

• 1Truth!
  • 1Tendies

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>

Please don't. I want to emphasize that I don't do it by guessing or predicting the future. I try to just watch for signals, people try this all the time and usually they just get too fixated on one thing, or maybe even three things. I do it by looking at lots of things and weighing them based on past experience both my own and the markets history to respond to what I'm seeing in the moment.

Many people try to fully quantify this to make a rules based system that can just do the process, and that is when you get to the heart of it, that part of it is an intuition that I have spent time trying to turn into something more objective than subjective to no avail

Too long to post and would get off subject to get into too much detail but I often feel "broken" in that my mind races all the time and I have trouble ever having much peace. I I have trouble filtering out info that I think other more baselines people might. I love baseball growing up and use to pitch but I struggled to stay focused, noticing too much. Other people, sounds, random thoughts, etc. Was always impressed to hear professional ball players talk about their ability to focus. Like a batter saying there is nothing in the world to them in that moment but that bat and ball. I am trash at that, but the markets work for me because it's complex and it's easier for me to see A and not forget about B,c,d....

Not sure if I rise to 140IQ lvl as you do but discernment is a strong pt and that coupled with macro thinking has certainly worked out for me in some facets of life and not so much in others. I have taken to farming/homesteading recently I think because hard work/labor probably one of the few things that quiets the mind at least a little.

Also man did I top tick XLE as well, but lets not forget I was wrong on TLT. Good example of me ignoring my own advice of "it would be better to wait for confirmation..."

I definitely don't want people following me but I'm super happy if I help someone hone their own trading in some fashion. To at least challenge how they think about it and make decisions.

• 2Solidarity
  • 2Like
Reactions: 3 users

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
IWM is a river of blood the last two weeks.

View attachment 491594
This was probably my loudest signal that the short term trend was in trouble. We have to be careful to not let a few days of bad turn everyone too bearish. The bull case has weakened but way too early to put on bear party hats. IWM does not look good. Bull markets climb a wall of worry so it's challenging to differentiate between what seems like shaky ground to pay attention to vs ignore. My meter has been moving towards "pay attention" side of the scale

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
This was probably my loudest signal that the short term trend was in trouble. We have to be careful to not let a few days of bad turn everyone too bearish. The bull case has weakened but way too early to put on bear party hats. IWM does not look good. Bull markets climb a wall of worry so it's challenging to differentiate between what seems like shaky ground to pay attention to vs ignore. My meter has been moving towards "pay attention" side of the scale
I am still playing the bull game. I will not be unhappy long-term getting those SPLG puts at the SPY equivalent of $400 if it happens.