Investing General Discussion

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
It was a government approved monopoly.
Sort of? The government tried to fuck with them multiple times, but kept making concessions if AT&T agreed to various terms. In the early 1900s the government forced them to basically sell off Western Union and then they had to seek approval to gobble up smaller telephone companies - (which they obviously did nothing about later). Then in '56 the cuck Eisenhower dropped an anti-trust against them if they agreed to stay out of the computer business.

Pretty much all monopolies are "government approved", eventually, because the government allows them to get away with a ton of bullshit in exchange for grift/kickbacks. The DoD "approved" its monopoly because they claimed it was "vital" to national security. Story as old as time.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Factually inaccurate. AT&T had no rivals. It was a government approved monopoly.
Untrue. Companies did try to compete, and were somewhat successful in competing on long distance. But AT&T controlled the local exchanges basically everywhere. And they controlled all business telephony, which was a big deal.

The AT&T breakup basically created modern computing. Bell Labs being splintered off ultimately helped create both Windows and Unix, which led to Linux. AT&T being broken up was ultimately as important anything IBM or MSFT did.

Forcing Microsoft, Google, and Amazon to seperate their cloud divisions from the rest of their portfolio would be interesting and probably fair. Breaking up the app store monopolies would also help. But it won't happen, no which party or tyrant ends up in charge.

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Untrue. Companies did try to compete, and were somewhat successful in competing on long distance. But AT&T controlled the local exchanges basically everywhere. And they controlled all business telephony, which was a big deal.

The AT&T breakup basically created modern computing. Bell Labs being splintered off ultimately helped create both Windows and Unix, which led to Linux. AT&T being broken up was ultimately as important anything IBM or MSFT did.

Forcing Microsoft, Google, and Amazon to seperate their cloud divisions from the rest of their portfolio would be interesting and probably fair. Breaking up the app store monopolies would also help. But it won't happen, no which party or tyrant ends up in charge.
A local exchange company that serviced 100 rural people ATT hadn't gotten around to running cable to doesn't fall into the category of "rival".

Local service was always a money loser. It was subsidized by the other profitable arms of the business (like long distance). MCI and Sprint wanted to enter the long distance market because it was profitable. They weren't suing to enter the local market in bumfucked Iowa.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
OXY be like...

Elon Musk Reaction GIF by Saturday Night Live

• 2Like

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
DOJ is also suing jetblue to stop its merger with spirit. Both airlines are in trouble for different reasons and the DOJ is being retarded with this one because if they block the merger then both will spiral on down and be gobbled up by someone even bigger anyways. The Trial starts next month.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
DOJ is also suing jetblue to stop its merger with spirit. Both airlines are in trouble for different reasons and the DOJ is being retarded with this one because if they block the merger then both will spiral on down and be gobbled up by someone even bigger anyways. The Trial starts next month.
Being stupid has never stopped DOJ

• 1Like
  • 1Truth!

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
at 11:23am someone made a $37.2 million dollar purchase of SPLG (the mini SPY etf)

1695835726383.png

• 1Mother of God

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
This hasn't been the year I expected. We're basically on the way to wiping out any gains we had.

Is it going to take 3 years to regain our previous high? Maybe 4?

The 2020's might be giving the 70's a run for their money on worst performing decade.

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
This hasn't been the year I expected. We're basically on the way to wiping out any gains we had.

The 2020's might be giving the 70's a run for their money on worst performing decade.
I just felt like giving y'all a 9 month head start on the 2023 stonk contest. Time for my prediction to start making a move.

1695839393628.png

• 1Launch Fail

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>

This is what you should have expected. That previous high was fueled entirely by fake nonsense money. Or "faker than usual" money is probably more accurate.

1695842594762.png

Haus

<Silver Donator>
So slightly off topic but still in the sphere of investing question.

Is it offensive to reference how much physical silver you are purchasing denominated in "Jesus"s?

A traditional Sheckle is 11.5g, meaning Jesus was sold out for around 240g of silver, or around 8 ounces. So if I'm picking up 20-1 ounce silver rounds to add to my strangely obsessive small pile of precious metals would that be around "Two and a half Jesus'" worth of silver? The place I have hit before for this in Dallas is definitely an establishment owned and operated by people familiar with sheckels, so I was just wondering.

• 5Worf
  • 1Seriously?
Reactions: 5 users