Investing General Discussion

Palum

what Suineg set it to
What's the best site to easily get a day X to Y calculation for S&P 500? I want to check a couple retirement accounts just to compare. exact same time period performance.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
You guys around right. I’m like 35 years out until I can touch this money. Why tf am I in bonds…
I was under the impression that you bought into a bond backed security. Not that you actually bought bonds.

Sell them when you feel the need to do so.

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Screenshotted>
just in case? IDK are you going to go against PREVAILING WISDOM?
Eh but my 401k isn’t my only nest egg. I have a good size taxable portfolio that I’d rather keep bonds in.
Gotcha.

No one here is really into international stonks huh. I get it. Didn’t International do well during a 5-10 year period around 2007?

edit - yes I know past doesn’t indicate future or whatever the saying is. It’s just curious so many here aren’t into having a portion of their portfolio in international while mainstream seems to think that is wise. Mainstream also told me to get vaxxed and boosted and this forum told me not to and that worked out well for me. So here we are.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Screenshotted>
I was under the impression that you bought into a bond backed security. Not that you actually bought bonds.

Sell them when you feel the need to do so.
I guess you are right? They are bond funds so bond backed security?

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Eh but my 401k isn’t my only nest egg. I have a good size taxable portfolio that I’d rather keep bonds in.

Gotcha.

No one here is really into international stonks huh. I get it. Didn’t International do well during a 5-10 year period around 2007?
vs

• 4Worf
Reactions: 3 users

The_Black_Log Foler

<Screenshotted>
Well developed European and Asian economies though? Looking at top 10 holdings of some of these international companies I’m seeing TSC, airbus, etc. I don’t think they’re going anywhere. Ok if china takes TSC then everyone is gonna feel that, even big tech. Not trying to argue btw. Just trying to understand. Ooga boogas would be more emerging markets right? There’s RERGX as an option which seems to target Europe and Asia pacific, for example.

sliverstorm

Trakanon Raider
What's the best site to easily get a day X to Y calculation for S&P 500? I want to check a couple retirement accounts just to compare. exact same time period performance.
PerfCharts | Free Charts | StockCharts.com - will reinvest the dividends and show relative performance. Drag and expand/contract the slider at the bottom to show timeframe, use comma separated to add more stocks e.g. SPY,SPYG.

SPY Interactive Stock Chart | SPDR S&P 500 ETF Trust Stock - Yahoo Finance - will disburse the dividends (and show you disbursement dates/amounts) and show actual price change. Change date by clicking 'timeframe' in the top bar, and click +comparison in the top bar to add more stocks.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Gaming Ghost>
Yup I was eyeing that. What would you mix it with? The state street large cap value seems like it’s tracking Russel 1000 with more value stocks (heavy financial services/healthcare). On the flip side their growth version is more growth (heavy heavy on tech). The international offerings I need to look over.

Any suggestions? Maybe 80% s&p 500 and 20% international, fuck bonds?

Will ping Blazin Blazin or S sliverstorm too
100% S&P 500 index. Just let it run.

• 1Like

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Well developed European and Asian economies though? Looking at top 10 holdings of some of these international companies I’m seeing TSC, airbus, etc. I don’t think they’re going anywhere. Ok if china takes TSC then everyone is gonna feel that, even big tech. Not trying to argue btw. Just trying to understand. Ooga boogas would be more emerging markets right? There’s RERGX as an option which seems to target Europe and Asia pacific, for example.
joking aside, the foundation behind my investments is my faith in the American people. I do not share those feelings internationally. Cracks are forming and growing wider even in my faith in our domestic system. This is not based on analysis or technical figures, as I have mentioned many times investing success is deeply rooted in your own emotions and controlling fear. At the worst moments for the market it's my belief in the strength of our nation that makes me hit buy. This same emotion is what stops me from overly worrying about a position going against me because I only invest in something I am more committed to.

• 1Like

The_Black_Log Foler

<Screenshotted>
100% S&P 500 index. Just let it run.

joking aside, the foundation behind my investments is my faith in the American people. I do not share those feelings internationally. Cracks are forming and growing wider even in my faith in our domestic system. This is not based on analysis or technical figures, as I have mentioned many times investing success is deeply rooted in your own emotions and controlling fear. At the worst moments for the market it's my belief in the strength of our nation that makes me hit buy. This same emotion is what stops me from overly worrying about a position going against me because I only invest in something I am more committed to.

Thanks fellas. Changed future elections to 100% sp500 index and will sell target date and switch over as well.

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Gaming Ghost>
Pretty much every swinging dick here tells you to avoid international funds. But you do you friendo.

Kanye West Shrug GIF

The_Black_Log Foler

<Screenshotted>
Pretty much every swinging dick here tells you to avoid international funds. But you do you friendo.

Kanye West Shrug GIF
I’m not arguing, I just wanted to hear more thought out reasoning than ooga booga gifs and Blazin Blazin gave me exactly that. He made some good points.

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Gaming Ghost>
I’m not arguing, I just wanted to hear more thought out reasoning than ooga booga gifs and Blazin Blazin gave me exactly that. He made some good points.
I wasn't implying you were arguing. This is all about asking questions. I was just chuckling that it's one of the few positions that I think we are 100% in lockstep on and you kept asking :)

• 1Like

The_Black_Log Foler

<Screenshotted>
Again appreciate at the advice everyone’s been giving. This has become one of my new favorite hobbies even if I’m just doing boring long hold buys for now. Now I wanna try to pull a TJT TJT and get over employed to get more greens to fund this hobby 😆

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Gaming Ghost>
Again appreciate at the advice everyone’s been giving. This has become one of my new favorite hobbies even if I’m just doing boring long hold buys for now. Now I wanna try to pull a TJT TJT and get over employed to get more greens to fund this hobby 😆
It's all fun and games when the markets are at all time highs. Let's see how fun the hobby is when we enter the next bear market 😎

• 1Double Worf

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
GByvbokXMAEj6F0.png

Being bearish for any sustained period is not going to work out very well. It easier in hindsight, but we still must ask why coming out of 2022 one of the worst years in the last 70 yrs were people still so negative? We are so good at imagining things being worse that it's often all we see. We convince ourselves with "Yeah but did they have a Fed doing..." "There was no...then"

History tells us we are likely in year 1 of several years of expansion in the markets. That's hard for us to accept as a possibility, the possibility of horrendous horribleness is much easier for us to see and always feels in the moment more plausible.

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users