Investing General Discussion

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
For those shopping, industrials (specifically defense stocks) are looking like nice entry prices today. I rode them up earlier this year and dumped them near the peak. I restarted a position in GD and NOC so far and am close to entry with RTX and adding to my LMT position. They all beat on earnings have strong balance sheets and are a little safer than growth stocks. I like them to balance my tech/growth stocks.

I'm buying LMT this afternoon, just $35,000 position as it's a new company to portfolio. I have added to JNJ and PEP

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
Thank you both for your assessments. I'm a novice in this space and at a place where I feel best suited to following information from second-hand sources and using those assessments to understand primary sources (as noted by Blazin Blazin ). One of the lessons I learned after March is not to move money or change allocations just because of a feeling or sentiment I'm picking up. I'm in the learning process of building my own investing thesis and I appreciate the insight and will avoid derailing this thread generally speaking.

I had written out quite a bit on this, but I don't think this is the place for it. I think I'll just note that lending standard for banks are nearly at all-time highs. This looks similar to 2000 and 2008, suggesting to me that they expect lenders to default.

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Thank you both for your assessments. I'm a novice in this space and at a place where I feel best suited to following information from second-hand sources and using those assessments to understand primary sources (as noted by Blazin Blazin ). One of the lessons I learned after March is not to move money or change allocations just because of a feeling or sentiment I'm picking up. I'm in the learning process of building my own investing thesis and I appreciate the insight and will avoid derailing this thread generally speaking.

I had written out quite a bit on this, but I don't think this is the place for it. I think I'll just note that lending standard for banks are nearly at all-time highs. This looks similar to 2000 and 2008, suggesting to me that they expect lenders to default.
The big difference between now and those previous periods is that the Fed is mandating huge reserves for the big banks to cover expected losses. Its one reason the banks have been underperforming as they have giant piles of money sitting doing nothing. IIRC, JPM has like 8 or 9 billion that has to be allocated.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
The big difference between now and those previous periods is that the Fed is mandating huge reserves for the big banks to cover expected losses. Its one reason the banks have been underperforming as they have giant piles of money sitting doing nothing. IIRC, JPM has like 8 or 9 billion that has to be allocated.
So the banks can afford to lend, but their lending standards are very high. What happens to the businesses that need capital but don't meet the standards? I assume that some/all of them are bailed out by the Fed? It just seems weird to me, granted I don't fully understand all of this.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
So the banks can afford to lend, but their lending standards are very high. What happens to the businesses that need capital but don't meet the standards? I assume that some/all of them are bailed out by the Fed? It just seems weird to me, granted I don't fully understand all of this.
Its not weird at all and has been going on since Coronachan. Banks raised their lending criteria last year and then again early this year. Its all about being risk averse. We discussed a lot in this very thread many months ago.

• 1Like

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
The bonus for today, twitter now over 20% down, hate to see it...

• 4Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 4 users

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
The bonus for today, twitter now over 20% down, hate to see it...
dance dancing GIF

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
CDC announced cruise lines can resume operations, provided they can prove COVID testing. All of them spiked and took some airline stocks with it.
Looks like my Spring Break Plague Ship trip is gonna happen then. Awesome.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Awanka

Molten Core Raider
Discipline compelled me to do a bit of accumulating today. I think another drop on Monday is very likely, and I will be wading into the morass with my truncheon to buy stonks before the election. I think the volatility squeeze of the election being over will be bullish no matter who wins.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

maskedmelon

Orator of Superfluous Nothings

I think it is awesome that banks are required to sit on giant melting ice cubes of cash as the fed shits trillions of fake dollars into the economy.

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Did not see that close coming. Half my orders went unfilled as I was expecting a deep crash into the close.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
TWTR looking good after Jack testified looking like a homeless person. Oh wait....lol