Investing General Discussion

Gurgeh

Silver Baronet of the Realm
That being said, their proof isn't what I would have been doing, and I'll try to find the time this week to change the R code a little bit to actually compare a few indexes with random picks, because a lot of the ETF they're using are a bit too exotic to be pertinent, so the sample of ETFs has to be changed.

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Gaming Ghost>
While I get not posting private financial info, you have stated "I am getting x results and beating a major index" with what many in the financial world would call a pretty insane strategy. I'm not saying you arent doing it, but understand the skepticism is similar to me dating a super model and driving a Lambo but not posting pics because privacy.

Gurgeh

Posting a pic of an ugly guy dating a supermodel isn't going to prove that ugly guys usually date supermodels anyway.

I don't even understand why that would be even remotely relevant to discussing a strategy. If you want to study the efficiency of a random strategy you obviously need to consider a fairly large sample to at the very least estimate the variance.

Sanrith Descartes

<Gaming Ghost>
Posting a pic of an ugly guy dating a supermodel isn't going to prove that ugly guys usually date supermodels anyway.

I don't even understand why that would be even remotely relevant to discussing a strategy. If you want to study the efficiency of a random strategy you obviously need to consider a fairly large sample to at the very least estimate the variance.
It was a bitcoin millionaire reference. I guess you missed it.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
That's a cultural thing I guess, I don't feel more confortable posting a pic of my dick than one of my savings or my paycheck. It's kinda taboo in France.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I think you are arguing, for a theoretical, super thin margin. People want proof because it's really unlikely unless you have mad stacks.

Even then it shouldn't be any better than the best of those Vanguard examples.

If my play money hits I'll post pics. Lol

Gurgeh

What I find a bit odd, is that I can't find much scientific paper on it, except the one I linked previously, which isn't bad, but definitely not closing the topic. Does random picking stocks outperform index trading, my guess is on average it's about the same, but the real question is on the variance. I think it's an increasingly important question as :

The more people use ETF, the worse they get seems a very reasonable assumption, and researches point to it. To me it seems obvious, as if large part of investors are using the same portfolio, it means the assets weighted heavily in said portolio are going to be traded a lot, resulting in an increase of volatility on said stocks, i.e. the risk.

I think one reason that beating indexes is hard, is precisely because it's sorta random. I mean, the way companies are weighted in the index isn't even consistant, nor the way the companies are selected into the indexes. And yet, regardless of the way the index is made, it's hard to beat.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
So your position has changed from "I know I'm right" to "Well, interestingly now that I've looked into I can't find any evidence to support my opinions"

People don't trade ETF/Index funds a lot. They sit on them. They let the market play over the long term without worrying if they lost a few cents by not waking up 3 hours early to check the pre-market reports.

What "researches" point to index funds being losers? Or them being tied to "oversaturation"?

Investing in individual stocks is all smoke and mirrors bud. You may as well go down to the track and bet on horses with your dumb ass "investing" strategy. There are very few people in this world who have the knowledge to invest smart. And they usually get that knowledge by being in the right circles and by being close to the people who write the financial reports.

Gurgeh

So your position has changed from "I know I'm right" to "Well, interestingly now that I've looked into I can't find any evidence to support my opinions"
I've posted half a dozen article on the topic, that all points at my claims not being outlandish. You've just been screaming "you can't be right" with no argument, but yeah I'm starting to get why this thread isn"t getting much action, it's just to compare the relative size of dicks. All I said was what triggered my will to discuss this, was that after about 8 years of investing directly into stocks I noticed it followed, and even lately beat a little bit the index, it's completely anecdotical anyway, and wouldn't prove anything either way, and yet THAT is the point that most people in this thread are interested in. If I had invested all my money on Airbus and won 15% per year over the last decade, it wouldn't make that strategy good.
People don't trade ETF/Index funds a lot. They sit on them. They let the market play over the long term without worrying if they lost a few cents by not waking up 3 hours early to check the pre-market reports.
Oh, ETF aren't traded much. Right.

What "researches" point to index funds being losers? Or them being tied to "oversaturation"?
I've pointed one in my last post, and if you google it you'll find a bunch of different articles claiming all the same thing.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.

"Cat beats professional money managers" is apples to oranges compared to indices. It's well-established that active management is mostly mechanism for extracting fees.

As far as the actual random stock picks go, from that article:

"Five years later, the long-only equity system he created has outperformed the market by the amount that it was supposed to outperform"

Which is how much?

“It’s not very big in the long-only space"

Right.

I pay 0.04% to Vanguard. I literally make more money buying an index and spending an extra two hours a year billing clients for work compared to doing it myself.

Last edited:

Gurgeh

I pay 0.04% to Vanguard. I literally make more money buying an index and spending an extra two hours a year billing clients for work compared to doing it myself.

And you're right, it is indeed a good way to invest, most certainly. But I naively thought that an investing thread was a thread in which we could discuss investing strategy, not a thread in which every post is answered by : get an ETF.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Captain Suave

And you're right, it is indeed a good way to invest, most certainly. But I naively thought that an investing thread was a thread in which we could discuss investing strategy, not a thread in which every post is answered by : get an ETF.

You've suggested a strategy which is more work, likely higher risk, and marginal-at-best added returns. In addition to that you've introduced several core misunderstandings of probability and randomness around which you've quietly moved the goalposts until people stopped complaining. It's not a big surprise no one is taking you seriously.

Gurgeh

You've suggested a strategy which is more work, likely higher risk, and marginal-at-best added returns. In addition to that you've introduced several core misunderstandings of probability and randomness around which you've quietly moved the goalposts until people stopped complaining. It's not a big surprise no one is taking you seriously.
I'm just going to quote that $25B fund manager, who's making an even stronger claim than me and putting $1B on it :
“You choose stocks at random and weight them equally...we tested the idea and immediately did better than the S&P 500,” he said.

“If you have the same expected returns from assets you should put the same weights on them to optimize the portfolio. So if you choose stocks at random and combine them, you will always beat S&P 500, or in 99.99 percent of cases.”

Which is basicaly extremely close to what I've argued so far. You'll even notice that the guy is making the exact same assumption as I am in his second sentence : an individual stock of the S&P500 has the same expected value as the S&P500, and they actually put their money on it.

Captain Suave

I'm just going to quote that $25B fund manager, who's making an even stronger claim than me and putting $1B on it :

And he's the one I quoted who admits that, while the returns were indeed some unquantified amount higher, “It’s not very big in the long-only space" . He may have raised a billion dollars using this strategy, but the market went gangbusters during this period so of course he did well. I read the article to mean he made a billion in absolute, not a billion more than he would have made in the S&P.

So, technically better? Sure. Usefully better for individual investors? Eh?

Regardless, no one is strongly arguing against the sources you quote. The problems are with the statements you've made around them. You think you're saying the same things as your sources, but that's not true. Exhibit A:

You'll even notice that the guy is making the exact same assumption as I am in his second sentence : an individual stock of the S&P500 has the same expected value as the S&P500

No, that is not what he said. Read your own quote. He said if you pick stockS (PLURAL!!) at random AND COMBINE THEM then you have the same expected return, which is true (though you'll have higher variance). This is not remotely the same thing as a a random individual stock having the same expected return as a bundle of stocks. The point he's making by the emphasis on "same weights"is that his strategy does not involve preferentially selecting specific companies, industries, regions, or whatever. He's building a randomized portfolio broad enough to capture the market average. Which you can also do at next to zero cost and with literally zero effort with an index.

Now, whether the S&P tracks the market average perfectly, that's a totally separate issue.

Last edited:

Sanrith Descartes

<Gaming Ghost>
As to how ETFs are weighted, I'm not sure about the question of how they are weighted. The vast, vast majority are cap weighted. Some are equal weight and a few (like the DOW) are price weighted.

Also, keep in mind that beating the return of an investment advisor isnt the same as beating an index ETF. They are two very different things. That advisor is probably throwing darts just like you :)

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
This has been a pretty hysterical discussion. I can't honestly believe we have someone vehemently defending the strategy of, "pick stocks randomly" in order to achieve a superior result. Meanwhile in the very same thread we have highly successful career traders who have displayed portions of their success and their process for achieving it. But you won't show your personal strategy's results in any fashion. Hmmmm?

I'll go write you a small program that pulls the stock ticker symbol for every single thing that is publicly traded. You define a price range per stock and click a button and it will randomly provide you with a ticker symbol. Go HAM with that, you can thank me later for simplifying your investment strategy.

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

<Gaming Ghost>
I decided to give the "pick stocks randomly by throwing darts" a try. I didn't have a large dart board so I just put the following companies on it and tossed my darts... Amzn, Aapl, Wmt, Jpm, Brk.b, and Msft.
I even used a blindfold to make sure it was random.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Investing in individual stocks is all smoke and mirrors bud. You may as well go down to the track and bet on horses with your dumb ass "investing" strategy. There are very few people in this world who have the knowledge to invest smart. And they usually get that knowledge by being in the right circles and by being close to the people who write the financial reports.

Bullshit.

I've done well enough with it.

It isn't that damn hard. Find a product you like, but stock of that company.

If you aren't a fuck wit it isn't rocket surgery.

Yes if I had any proof I'd post it. Been broke for years putting wife through grad school.

But honestly I think it works better for 15-30 year olds because they are quicker to see trends

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Nothing wrong with investing individual stocks but I think it should only be done in conjunction with broad index funds as the bulk of a portfolio. Non professional’s aren’t likely going to be doing the home work on individual stocks in any substantive way.

But consumers are at times in a great position to see something that might be great future growth before the market fully catches on, the chance of this has greatly lessened as companies are staying private much longer robbing the small guy from getting in early.

• 1Like