Investing General Discussion

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
I hear that I owned HOG at $12 and I dumped it, but there was real concern it was going to go belly up at the height of the crisis .

We get a rate hike next week and we are going to get our sale. We may get a test of SPY 2080 range in next few days. Need to see how things open tomorrow. It's about time things get interesting again last eight weeks has been dullsville in the market .

Do you mean DoW 12,000? If so I wouldn't wait for that to nibble

Furious

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm looking at WFC and ORI for next buy. Bumped my stop loss on WDC to $53.50. I still think it's cheap.

Last edited:

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
I'm watching WFC too but will let this negative press subside and want to see what fed does with interest rates next week

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Pretty sure there this but I don't remember who it was. I took a pretty good look at but still think controlling yourself through vanguard is the better option

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I don't think investing is difficult enough to make paying any more than the bare minimum necessary. A lot of people are intimidated by it, hence why they pay financial advisers tons of money.

But at the same time, I don't know if I've met anyone willing to spend 3 or 4 hours reading about personal investing, despite finding it perfectly reasonable to spend that same amount of time reading Buzzfeed, Facebook, or some other inane bullshit. You'd think finances would manage to squeeze some time in there, but I guess it's not important enough.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I don't think investing is difficult enough to make paying any more than the bare minimum necessary. A lot of people are intimidated by it, hence why they pay financial advisers tons of money.

But at the same time, I don't know if I've met anyone willing to spend 3 or 4 hours reading about personal investing, despite finding it perfectly reasonable to spend that same amount of time reading Buzzfeed, Facebook, or some other inane bullshit. You'd think finances would manage to squeeze some time in there, but I guess it's not important enough.
Or you just don't have a head for it.

I am not sure 3 to 4 hours is enough to get a good enough feel for it when the outcome matters whether or not you are destitute when you are old.

I have spent days and days reading books on starting my own business and have actually done very little movement on it because all that theory is nice and all but when I start putting lots of money into it then it is very important that all of that is perfect.

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
it sounded like fees wise it would be just as cheap as doing it yourself and paying for trades. on the commercial it said 30k managed for 5 bucks a month?

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
it sounded like fees wise it would be just as cheap as doing it yourself and paying for trades. on the commercial it said 30k managed for 5 bucks a month?

For comparison vanguard cheaper index funds would be about $2.25 a month on the same amount. Now with small amounts it doesn't seem to matter a great deal but as funds grow over the decades losing .3% every year compounded starts adding up.

Having said that, I don't think it's a bad option. If you give me some idea of what your situation is and what the goal/purpose, and timeline is, can tell you a decent vanguard approach. There is no one answer to investing, but there are definitely wrong answers.

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I've just got a few td ameritrade accounts with prob a total of 20k and my wife has one with 30k and we rarely touch them.

I'd like to set it and forget it

Furious

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
But at the same time, I don't know if I've met anyone willing to spend 3 or 4 hours reading about personal investing,

If I don't spend 3 to 4 hours everyday reading about investing, I have had a slow day. It is entirely fascinating. I don't even work in the industry!

I blog about DGI and value investing just as a fun hobby. It's very cool when you see your money grow.

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
I've just got a few td ameritrade accounts with prob a total of 20k and my wife has one with 30k and we rarely touch them.

I'd like to set it and forget it

IRA's? Do you plan to continue to make contributions to them? TD gives access to 1000s of mutual funds including Vanguard but I really dislike the fee structure on mutual funds.

DrFukasaka

Lord Nagafen Raider
I own 23 Rent houses I am 100% hands off and they pay a steady 8% return, they are inflation proof I don't have to wait till I am old as fuck to enjoy the cash and when I am old as fuck and renters have paid off all my notes they will pay closer to 15%.

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
The majority i think is pretax money, no contributions planned.

I would just pick one of the all in one funds. These funds are very diversified, low cost, and will adjust themselves as you get older all without you having to do a single thing. Assuming you are in your late 30s Target Retirement 2040 (VFORX) would be a good choice.

You can purchase this at TD Ameritrade but it would be more cost effective to go ahead and open an account with vanguard and transfer the money there. They make this process relatively painless. My guess it would take about an hour or so in paper work.

Vanguard Target Retirement Funds | Vanguard