Investing General Discussion

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Right but you live in a very ritzy area in a much more expensive house. On the whole property taxes are much lower in Texas than CT. Is there legislation in Texas that prevents banks from refusing escrow waivers? All I know is I could not find a home loan here that would allow me to waive escrow. You probably can if you have leverage (jumbo loan for a large amount with good credit and plenty of collateral). But for every day buyers it doesn't seem to be an option at all.

Texas actually has relatively high property tax since we don't have income tax. It looks like you pay about 2.8% effective on your house, here are some sample rates from DFW:

Most of the Texas districts in DFW are between 2-3%:

Mine is one of the absolute lowest since we set our property tax % to the state minimum since it mostly gets taken by the state via Robin Hood anyway. (In Highland Park ISD).

Khane

Got something right about marriage
They calculate by "mill rate" in CT. Meaning 1 dollar for every 1000 appraised value on the property. Actually my taxes are going up this year by almost 1k because they raised my mill rate to 33. Which means 33 dollars for every 1k in appraised value. Which is literally the same as saying 3.3% and who knows why they try to confuse the issue this way. But some of the areas around here get as high as 7.4%.

We also have fire districts (which are taxed separately at their own mill rate), have to pay property tax on our vehicles, which is also a separate tax rate (and also subject to fire district taxation) and have income tax.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
They calculate by "mill rate" in CT. Meaning 1 dollar for every 1000 appraised value on the property. Actually my taxes are going up this year by almost 1k because they raised my mill rate to 33. Which means 33 dollars for every 1k in appraised value. Which is literally the same as saying 3.3% and who knows why they try to confuse the issue this way. But some of the areas around here get as high as 7.4%.

We also have fire districts (which are taxed separately at their own mill rate), have to pay property tax on our vehicles, which is also a separate tax rate (and also subject to fire district taxation) and have income tax.

1580344660871.png

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Pops

You should leave CT. if you can. Property tax is a transfer of wealth. States are now using this to solve the govt pension problem.

• 1Like

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Where I'm at in PA we are at about 3-4% on real estate taxes, certain districts in urban areas can be near double that. Every time I look at houses to move it's always taxes that stop me not the home price.

Khane

You should leave CT. if you can. Property tax is a transfer of wealth. States are now using this to solve the govt pension problem.

Been thinking about it for a long, long time.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
I let my bank pay my insurance and property taxes. Two less bills I have to think about.

Unidin

Molten Core Raider
Plus people care about who services their loan if they ever have any kind of an issue. Whether it's financial difficulty or dealing with insurance claims, some servicers are way easier to deal with than others.

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
So market dropped a lot last few days and we get two pages of loan servicing?

• 1Like

Khane

The market hasn't moved much percentage wise the past few days. And it's been very volatile for going on 2 years now. Not exactly news worthy.

• 1Truth!

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
So market dropped a lot last few days and we get two pages of loan servicing?

What you on about? It dropped a lot? Not even 3% off the ATH is alarm bell raising for you?

Capture.JPG

Get out why you still can!! We haven't been at this price level since 15 days ago!

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Not to mention the drop is primarily due to the coronovirus and not any financial fundamentals I believe.

If it hadn't been the virus it would be something else. Market needed a break to consolidate the gains since October. Pullbacks sub 10% are completely normal and to be expected, and we likely won't even get that in the near term world is still awash in liquidity

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
The corona virus definitely will have an affect on stocks. It will affect the fundamentals at the very least by greatly hindering international trade and the movement of people via quarantines, regardless of if it kills a lot of people or not. This will certainly have some negative financial outcomes on a lot of companies.

I expect there to be a LOT of panic in the market the next few months. Expect a few large swings that possibly go both up and down at times. With the potential for a panic'd crater I decided to move all of my money out of stocks on monday. Long term I think stocks are still A+, but short term there could be some real blood in the water at times.

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
The corona virus definitely will have an affect on stocks. It will affect the fundamentals at the very least by greatly hindering international trade and the movement of people via quarantines, regardless of if it kills a lot of people or not. This will certainly have some negative financial outcomes on a lot of companies.

I expect there to be a LOT of panic in the market the next few months. Expect a few large swings that possibly go both up and down at times. With the potential for a panic'd crater I decided to move all of my money out of stocks on monday. Long term I think stocks are still A+, but short term there could be some real blood in the water at times.

That can be okay to do just dont be shy getting back in if it doesn't bare out that way. People end up letting it run away from them because they dont want to buy back 1-2% higher when it doesn't go the way they wanted.

DrFukasaka

Lord Nagafen Raider
So about 15 months ago I bought 30 Tesla stock right after Elon Must said something retarded at a cost of $230 a share and today I sold them for $620 which is around a 120% return? I don't consider myself a day trader but I did something like this with Starbucks a couple years back when the CEO said something retarded as well, I just keep about 5 grand in reserve to invest in low hanging fruit like these.

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
Ahhh I'm in an analysis panic!

I bought a nice lot... 0.88 acres, in a gorgeous upscale neighborhood. I bought house plans ($1500) and have been working with a contractor getting bids. He's done a lot of pre-work, including getting plans sent to the city and the neighborhood HOA, changing some designs of the house, etc. But no actual physical work. House bid is $820,000, including a $100,000 pool design, and that does not include the cost of the land ($150,000). So its $920,000 for everything. The 30 year note will be around $5600-$5700 per month. The total interest paid will be about $650,000, which makes the total cost of the house around $1,500,000. On my loan estimate it made a little note that said "in the first five years of ownership, you will have paid $245,000 in payments and have $65,000 equity."

Currently I owe $360,000 on my current house, which is on a 15 year note that is automatically paid bi-weekly ($1600) which puts it technically on a like 13.5 year schedule, and I pay extra, so it will be paid off even earlier. If I don't pay any early payments my total interest is about $140,000 which makes my total cost for this house about $500,000.

I try to be financially smart, but I still make a ton of mistakes and my spending is always out of control. I'm the guy that buys something for $1000, then sells it a month later for $100. I'm not trading a paperclip for a car on craigslist. So after getting all the financial estimates in I'm really feeling stressed. This is why:

1. Cash to close payment is $106,000 (10% plus closing). I invest most of my money so it took me a while to save this up. I feel like I finally have money to make a good financial move and it kills me to spend it all on the house downpayment.

2. While building the house, it will be interest only payments, which is still about $4000/month, on top of my current house note which is approx $3200/month, so thats $7200/month. I can afford this, but damn it feels stressful. And it definitely means drastically decreased savings while building. And I know while building there will be upgrades I want to make that will add extra tens of thousands of dollars to the house (better appliances, solid wood floors, etc.) And when I move out of my current house into the new house, I still have to sell my current house, and at that point I will be paying $5700/month for new house plus $3200/month for this house which would be $9000/month in mortgages.

3. With a new house comes new furniture and all sorts of other stuff. And I just re-did this house's furniture about six months ago and I was shocked at house quickly I blew $10,000 on furniture for just a few pieces. Add in a larger lot that needs landscaping and lawn maintenance, more house to keep clean, twice as many AC units that will need servicing, etc.

4. The difference between my current note and future note is $2500. That amount invested for 30 years at 6% is 2.3 million... That's lost money to retire on.

5. The total cost of just the mortgage for new house is $1,500,000, which is a million dollars more than the total cost of the mortgage for my current house. A million dollars. Thats so much time and work to pay that off.

6. My current financial plan is to be able to really just quit everything in about 13 years. My daughter is 6, I will not have more children. I pay child support which is a large amount, but that ends when she's 18. I also save for her college so she will have a full ride all taken care of. And my current house note ends in 13 years (or sooner). And I plan to cancel my disability insurance (about $750/month) when I have enough money in retirement. So at that time my monthly expenses go from like $11,000/month to like $1500/month or so. At that point I can *significantly* cut back at work and just do a few shifts per month to keep making enough money to live and not have to touch retirement money.

7. I have been dying to get into residential real estate. I firmly believe in buying income producing assets instead of liabilities (rich dad poor dad). I'm going today to look at a 4-plex apartment buliding that's listed for around $350,000 and each unit rents for around 875-1000. After 25% down can take in around $1600/month-ish, and when that shit's paid off significantly more, around $3000-$3200.

So I find myself at this precipice, where I can buy a house that will make me a financial slave for the rest of my life, or I could use the same money and make an investment that will help give me financial independence for the rest of my life. I think the decision is easy. It's hard to give up on building the house, because I really really want it, and while I can technically afford it, it just sounds miserable to be stuck with it. How bad is my contractor going to take this? How much $ should I offer him for "work done" to avoid a big mess?

• 1Like