Investing General Discussion

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
How timely, I was just about to contribute to my IRAs. We waiting for 26k?

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
China dumped a lot of money into their market to try and prop it up and as always some of its seeping our ways. It'll probably work for today a little. Like I said, I expect a bounce back some this week.

Perfect time to invest my dear friend. You got it figured out.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Welp, that wave of cash went up in flames pretty fast.

Banks calling for people to rejoice and put their money in stocks now because this is just temporary and other such attempts to find money to escape on. I think the slide might be here a week early.

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
QQQ plowed through its 50 DMA and I took a tiny position for the long term.

Macy's picked a bad day to have a beat top and bottom on earnings this morning. It was up 5% pre-market and then caught up in the wave of market selling. Started a new trade postion at 14.75 with a 10.2% dividend yield while I wait for a bounce.

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Things you dont see every day. NVDA set a 52 week high on Thursday (4 trading days ago). It is now flirting with bear territory. Down more than 18%

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Things you dont see every day. NVDA set a 52 week high on Thursday (4 trading days ago). It is now flirting with bear territory. Down more than 18%
Not too surprising, tech, service, and european stocks are generally set up very bad for this current situation. I wouldn't be surprised if a few companies effectively vaporize into the wind.

I was expecting a 20% drop like I mentioned a month ago over march and april targetting a 23-24k buy in price. Stocks are going down more than what I expected and I'm not sure what to make of it. Could the low be as far down as 20k, 15k? A 2-3 year pullback to 20k is certainly within the realm of reason, a 15k dow would shock me.

Either way, long term investors have quite the opportunity to take advantage of coming up here. I just wish more of my investments allowed leveraged shorts. I had to place 80% into bonds or pure cash.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
Yes. You will not see fully automated driving in even 10 years. Maybe 20 but I wouldn't be surprised if it was longer. Nothing to indicate it will be Tesla at the forefront of that either.

What makes you think Tesla is a change agent? They don't sell more volume of electric in any way and have significant logistic bottlenecks that they simply aren't able to resolve. This is why they have never once hit one of their own internal quotas. Ever.

Tesla is cool. No question. But they aren't what they are perceived to be at all.

Driving doesn’t need to be fully automated to be completely disruptive to the usual driving experience.

Source: Has Tesla Model 3. Uses autopilot on basically every highway drive over 5 miles.

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Not too surprising, tech, service, and european stocks are generally set up very bad for this current situation. I wouldn't be surprised if a few companies effectively vaporize into the wind.

I was expecting a 20% drop like I mentioned a month ago over march and april targetting a 23-24k buy in price. Stocks are going down more than what I expected and I'm not sure what to make of it. Could the low be as far down as 20k, 15k? A 2-3 year pullback to 20k is certainly within the realm of reason, a 15k dow would shock me.

Either way, long term investors have quite the opportunity to take advantage of coming up here. I just wish more of my investments allowed leveraged shorts. I had to place 80% into bonds or pure cash.
I dont predict anything as severe as you do. We are letting some air out (and rightly so). A lot of cash is just relocating to low beta stocks. For most of the day those stocks were green (Coke, Pepsi, Walmart etc). Like every market, volatility means opportunities can be found. Especially when everything gets dumped wholesale including some quality companies with little exposure to Coronachan.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Gurgeh

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I dont predict anything as severe as you do. We are letting some air out (and rightly so). A lot of cash is just relocating to low beta stocks. For most of the day those stocks were green (Coke, Pepsi, Walmart etc). Like every market, volatility means opportunities can be found. Especially when everything gets dumped wholesale including some quality companies with little exposure to Coronachan.
Probably some good opportunity to be had in industries in the west, it's really more and more looking like the end of China being the default manufacturer, and more and more businesses will look to secure more reliable sources of products. Western industries will have a hard time due to their supply chain being all fucked up, currently, but that's good news in the long run, imo.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
The memes and meme short films on wallstreetbets are seriously next level.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>

The markets were about 15% overpriced or so, so everyone knew a correction was coming, but the sheer strength of the economy made it unlikely even with all the credit nonsense. The virus popping up was practically a gift and making this possibly the easiest slide ever to predict.

I didn't think it'd hit quite this hard and fast, so I'd expect a slight rebound and then a further slide through march to end up around 25-24k. Perhaps a bit more blood in the water after that. If it goes down to 25k before the end of march I'll probably be more skeptical about buying back in, if it takes longer I might buy back in early. Considering the harshness of this slide, it could be way worse than I predicted.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Here comes the daily influx of cash. More announcements that now is the time to buy into china. Now is the time to buy into the stocks.

I think today it will stick for sure. +100-150. Is my guess. If it evaporates again, the panic selling is real and a lot of financial institutions will have problems.

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I took a flyer and bought some long dated OOM options (Jan '22) on Royal Caribbean. Low risk cash-wise and I figure Coronachan is a 3-6 month impact. If I'm right it should pay out nicely in the 2nd half of the year. I also took a small long position on Disney at just about bear territory.

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
So looking at a Heat Map, basically FANG/MAGA companies are the only thing preventing today from another day of mass declines.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I'll be spending the weekend researching stuff to buy it looks like. I've been sitting on some cash just for this purpose for a bit now. Seems to be the time. Prob put half of this sum into ETFs as I usually do.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Been a great month for me. Wonder how all those people who laughed at me for predicting a crash march->april are doing? I got it a week off guessing a month off, not too bad.

This is shaping up to be more dramatic and severe a drop than I predicted. The economic turmoil for the next few month is gonna be real. I don't recommend buying in on monday. Late march to early april is when I'll go back into the market. My goal is to jump in while it's still dropping but seems to be slowing. There is a -massive- risk of a high inflation event toward the end of this recession that I've talked about with the credit situation. At that point, no investment will be safe, but large persistant companies will probably be the safest investment.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I have been putting a little cash to work. I had a ton I have been sitting on waiting for an opportunity like this. Using 200 DMA and levels of support to make some entry points. All very high quality companies. Also some QQQ.

Apple getting clubbed like a baby harp seal today.

Gurgeh

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I'm going to start buying again early next week, I think. Probably a little bit each week for the next few months