Investing General Discussion

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
DOW closes up +13. And I'm only down 2% today.
I stand by what I was saying earlier, I'll be exiting my current positions ASAP. I think staying long is going to be a mistake.
I just feel we're in for a rocky road, I want the cash on hand for any buying opportunities ahead.

If it goes as I'm expecting, there should be a lot of short term plays to take advantage of.
im pessimistic too but id think the market has at least until whatever stimulus passes for some gains. Going to be some obvious winners in whatever shitshow bill comes through. Will take while for that to wear off and people to see the horror of the corona chickens comign home to roost, $15 minimum wage, bailouts for royally fucked CA, NY etc.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Alive and well. Red today (realized) on some swings, but my losses today were smaller than some of my single day gains in February.

This means I am sizing / positioning trades accurately for risk. Losses happen, it is all about how you manage risk.

Bought some quality at the bottom, but nothing huge in case we decided to completely dump. PSTH up a full 2 points from my add today.

• 1Like

Jackie Treehorn

<Gold Donor>
DOW closes up +13. And I'm only down 2% today.
I stand by what I was saying earlier, I'll be exiting my current positions ASAP. I think staying long is going to be a mistake.
I just feel we're in for a rocky road, I want the cash on hand for any buying opportunities ahead.

If it goes as I'm expecting, there should be a lot of short term plays to take advantage of.

Near NAV SPACS > cash.

• 1Truth!

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Alive and well. Red today (realized) on some swings, but my losses today were smaller than some of my single day gains in February.

This means I am sizing / positioning trades accurately for risk. Losses happen, it is all about how you manage risk.

Bought some quality at the bottom, but nothing huge in case we decided to completely dump. PSTH up a full 2 points from my add today.
What quality did you buy?

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Today stands out as a reason I try to preach that everyone learn the most basic of technical analysis. Remember, the charts do all the heavy lifting. You just have to read them. After seeing the futures this morning I knew we were going to open ugly. So I do what I always do on these days and looked at the charts of my targets I have been stalking. FTEC is the Fideltity pure tech ETF (no Comm sector stocks like FB or GOOG). The chart this morning showed me that the 50 DMA was sitting just above the intermediate line of support. ($106.01 and $104.25). $104.25 is 8% down from the 52-high. The 100 DMA is close at $100.70. Looking at that setup there is a ton of support within a few dollars of each other. I set my limit order to buy at the line of support of $104.25. I am happy to make a long term hold entry position 8% from the high. I did a half position there and another half position at the 100 DMA ($100.70). The 50 DMA held for a little bit and then collapsed. The intermediate line of support held and we got the bounce at $103.50. So I missed by 75 cents but got a solid entry at a price when lots of people were selling in fear.

If you want to trade at even the most basic level, this is stuff you can learn in a few hours on Youtube (or in this thread). Not sure where to price options? The chart guides you. Not sure when to buy when the stock is falling? The chart guides you. Not sure if its a dip or a crash? The chart helps you.

My words of advice for the day.

View attachment 337368

So, limit buys are essentially when you set your strike price that you want to buy a stock and your brokerage will automate the trade for you at that price?

I've started looking at 20, 50, 100, 200 DMA charts w lines of resistance, but I'm still too noob to know what actionable next-steps to take.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
What quality did you buy?
PSTH: add at 27.
Re-buy of CPUH/U: right at 10.95 (I had sold the recent spike to capitalize on irrational strength - trade the range)
XPOA: add at 10.60 (loading more shares at low price)
F: 11.20s (F has been great on strength, already profited on swings on this. Part of the rotation into value)
DPW: 4.50 (EV charging and recent investment into Bitcoin mining - Strong daily pivot support at 4.50)

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
So, limit buys are essentially when you set your strike price that you want to buy a stock and your brokerage will automate the trade for you at that price?

I've started looking at 20, 50, 100, 200 DMA charts w lines of resistance, but I'm still too noob to know what actionable next-steps to take.
Yes. Set the order ticket to "limit" and the limit price is the price you want to buy at. So if you set a limit at $95 and the stock is selling for $100, you order will activate if the stock dips to $95 (assuming there are enough sellers at that price)

• 1Like

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I added FB to my mom's account at $255 (almost got it perfect) even though I refuse to own it. Its already up 4%. Damn my scruples.

I keep reading deals about FB lately, don't own it anyway. About the difficulty they have selling ads now. Some emails or messages leaked between some employes there about how bad it was for a company to spend money on FB advertising. I can see that.

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I keep reading deals about FB lately, don't own it anyway. About the difficulty they have selling ads now. Some emails or messages leaked between some employes there about how bad it was for a company to spend money on FB advertising. I can see that.
I agree. I still think its a strong company long term, my not owning it personally is strictly ideological. Its why I own FTEC and not QQQ. same reason.

• 1Like

Jackie Treehorn

<Gold Donor>
PSTH: add at 27.
Re-buy of CPUH/U: right at 10.95 (I had sold the recent spike to capitalize on irrational strength - trade the range)
XPOA: add at 10.60 (loading more shares at low price)
F: 11.20s (F has been great on strength, already profited on swings on this. Part of the rotation into value)
DPW: 4.50 (EV charging and recent investment into Bitcoin mining - Strong daily pivot support at 4.50)

I missed out on a couple grand by not following your lead in selling / rebuying CPUH.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yes. Set the order ticket to "limit" and the limit price is the price you want to buy at. So if you set a limit at $95 and the stock is selling for $100, you order will activate if the stock dips to $95 (assuming there are enough sellers at that price)
Sometimes the price can spike down (or up) to these very well established lines of support or resistance. Placing your limit order exactly to the penny has a high chance of not being filled. I usually +0.01 above support or -0.01 below resistance to have far better chance of hitting the fill on your order.

(Imagine a massive volume trader like Tesla. Today, it bounced extremely strong off of it's 100 Day MA. There were likely thousands of buy orders piled in there to the penny. Imagine getting a chance on that entry today, only not to be filled due to not enough sellers to meet the buy demand. Offset by a few pennies could make all the difference. Tesla was a huge opportunity to buy off that bounce today. It ran 80 full points up right off that MA support line.)

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Sometimes the price can spike down (or up) to these very well established lines of support or resistance. Placing your limit order exactly to the penny has a high chance of not being filled. I usually +0.01 above support or -0.01 below resistance to have far better chance of hitting the fill on your order.

(Imagine a massive volume trader like Tesla. Today, it bounced extremely strong off of it's 100 Day MA. There were likely thousands of buy orders piled in there to the penny. Imagine getting a chance on that entry today, only not to be filled due to not enough sellers to meet the buy demand. Offset by a few pennies could make all the difference. Tesla was a huge opportunity to buy off that bounce today. It ran 80 full points up right off that MA support line.)
Truth.

There is an art to this limit price picking. Sometimes I go a nickle up to be safe.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Often times, you see this arbitrary half dollar priced buy / sell orders on lower priced stocks. Eg: you got a nice SPAC entry at $10.50, you can bet there are people who have lined up sell orders at half dollar increments. Trying to set a sell limit right on those half dollars can lead to missed fills too.

It is all part of fine tuning GTC limit orders.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
Anyone watching FQVLF? I bought this thing on a hunch and some reading last fall for about 8.00 or something. Now it's $24.00+. Sadly I was playing it safe like I always do so only bought about 500$ worth :( Tempting to sell but also tempted to just let it sit since it's not much money. Any thoughts on the legs for this thing?

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Anyone watching FQVLF? I bought this thing on a hunch and some reading last fall for about 8.00 or something. Now it's $24.00+. Sadly I was playing it safe like I always do so only bought about 500$ worth :( Tempting to sell but also tempted to just let it sit since it's not much money. Any thoughts on the legs for this thing?

If you like a stock but are worried about profits, only sell a potion of it, then ride the rest of the shares on free money.

• 1Like

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
If you like a stock but are worried about profits, only sell a potion of it, then ride the rest of the shares on free money.

Not so much worried about profits as I didn't invest much, just curious as to how try and gauge the upper limits of this thing. That's one thing I still suck at, I can understand the DMA/Support/Resistance stuff, but I can never tell if this is at an all time high because the market is or because there is something going on with the company. And in this case I don't know much about the company(hence the low $ amount investment).

Anyone recommend any good reading or fundamentals/technicals to check that would help try to predict that stuff?

TLDR: Basically it's a FOMO situation of this little stock going to 90$ and missing out all so I could make about 1.5-2k :(

I didn't get in this one like I would standard make 5% and bail investment. Every now and I then I throw 500-2000 at something I read about(not MEME or penny stocks) in the hopes that it will be the next big mover. This one didn't have options so I couldn't just go long on it and bail either.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Not so much worried about profits as I didn't invest much, just curious as to how try and gauge the upper limits of this thing. That's one thing I still suck at, I can understand the DMA/Support/Resistance stuff, but I can never tell if this is at an all time high because the market is or because there is something going on with the company. And in this case I don't know much about the company(hence the low $ amount investment).

Anyone recommend any good reading or fundamentals/technicals to check that would help try to predict that stuff?

TLDR: Basically it's a FOMO situation of this little stock going to 90$ and missing out all so I could make about 1.5-2k :(

I didn't get in this one like I would standard make 5% and bail investment. Every now and I then I throw 500-2000 at something I read about(not MEME or penny stocks) in the hopes that it will be the next big mover. This one didn't have options so I couldn't just go long on it and bail either.

Valuation is tricky, otherwise trading stocks would be easy. You need to look at their financials. Cash flow, revenue, profit, and how much %growth they've seen over the last couple years. Also see if you can find growth forcasts they may have submitted.