Investing General Discussion

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
NOC

This is what we call a moat. Infinite delivery and unlimited amounts.

I'd say most government contracts are IDIQ. And it's not unlimited, it's capped at $3.8B. It's also not guaranteed, it could be they make the minimum order (which could be as low as 1 unit) and never order again.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I’m sure there are plenty, especially in the past year, you just notice this one more cause you own it. TSLA, MP are a couple that come to mind that are similar. The air and cruise lines were that way for a long time.
That's definitely true. But I feel like people here would be talking about it, so it seems unusual that this one is so volatile.

It's likely it's just my perception since I'm new to buying single stocks.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
"This surely will sound quaint and stale to a few readers, but – and I’m sorry – the future value of a thing is ultimately based on the dividends the thing will eventually pay you, or someone to whom you are prepared to sell your shares. Whether the proxies for those dividends are cash flows, earnings, margins, sales, or the dividends themselves, alpha happens when expectations of those future dividends change.

That’s it. That’s the stock-picking game. Stocks are not pieces of art. They are not fiat money. Cults of personality do not last forever in the stock market. Narratives break. Eventually, everyone figured out that Galileo was right. Eventually, everyone will figure out that Cathie Wood isn’t. And it won’t take as long either."

• 1Truth!

Sanrith Descartes

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
That's definitely true. But I feel like people here would be talking about it, so it seems unusual that this one is so volatile.

It's likely it's just my perception since I'm new to buying single stocks.
I can say without a doubt that TSLA was more of a rollercoaster ride than PLTR ever was. TSLA making it into the S&P 500 has settled it down a lot in terms of volatility. Some of us here used to swing trade TSLA regularly.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
"This surely will sound quaint and stale to a few readers, but – and I’m sorry – the future value of a thing is ultimately based on the dividends the thing will eventually pay you, or someone to whom you are prepared to sell your shares. Whether the proxies for those dividends are cash flows, earnings, margins, sales, or the dividends themselves, alpha happens when expectations of those future dividends change.

That’s it. That’s the stock-picking game. Stocks are not pieces of art. They are not fiat money. Cults of personality do not last forever in the stock market. Narratives break. Eventually, everyone figured out that Galileo was right. Eventually, everyone will figure out that Cathie Wood isn’t. And it won’t take as long either."

Good memo. One reason I love investing is that it has so many different and varied ways to win. If you make 30% return your way and I make 28% my way, I most assuredly did not lose. We both won.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
My mother in law wants to give money to both of my kids for college funds... curious if anyone has thoughts on a 529 vs a Roth (put it in an index fund and let it ride) or something else. I don't want to push my kids towards college in 13/15 years if they don't want to go, so I'm concerned about a 529 plan for that reason. Figured I would check here before I talk to some advisor guy.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
My mother in law wants to give money to both of my kids for college funds... curious if anyone has thoughts on a 529 vs a Roth (put it in an index fund and let it ride) or something else. I don't want to push my kids towards college in 13/15 years if they don't want to go, so I'm concerned about a 529 plan for that reason. Figured I would check here before I talk to some advisor guy.
529 is a solid choice, and probably a far superior choice for kids that could go to college or trade schools. For someone that young it's definitely the route you wanna go. There's alternate ways to use the money, so you're not fixed into any specific path. I'd definitely go it over the roth.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Pogi.G

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Out of stocks at the moment, but I noticed AMC (bought at $10 and sold at $13 IIRC) has been hovering in the 45-65 range OUTTA NOWHERE lately. Man.

Yep, I had AMC at, I think $3.01 after the pandemic hit(would have to check my journal to confirm), and sold it at $7 when it popped on bogus news that AMC was potentially going to be bought out by Amazon. I wouldn't touch it now, or at least in any kind of a long position. I have shorted it twice from low $60's to high $40's, and I think short plays are the only correct plays to make on AMC right now. Potential for some decent day trades when volume spikes to the green side, but I wouldn't hold overnight.

Just my 2 cents.

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
You can also consider a UTMA custodial account for kids. It grows tax free up to certain limits and is then handed over to the kids when they hit the legal age of maturity (by state). Its not a retirement account, but I see it as a great vehicle to use for kids to have a down payment for a house or the like when they are adults. Think of it like a brokerage account for kids that you manage where you cant take any money out and the account becomes theirs at adulthood.

• 2Like

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
College gets a lot of shit, mostly because it's become a "everyone needs to go" option without consideration for differing interests and abilities.

But if you're of above average intelligence, your kids likely will be too, and as long as they don't get a useless degree it's still probably worth it. Just make sure they've got a good head on their shoulders to not be brainwashed, and maybe get them interested in STEM in the meantime.

And if they don't, they can use it for something else like a trade as mentioned above.

• 1Like

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
And if they don't, they can use it for something else like a trade as mentioned above.
If your kid has no idea what they want to do or focus at all in college, I'd push them toward a trade school. At the very least that'll give them a good source of income and teach them the value of hard work. With that they'll be able to go to college on their own later on if they find it to their desire.

• 2Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
529 is fine. If they want to go to college, you’ve made plans for it. If they don’t, you missed some gains, you didn’t lose money, big deal. When you go 529, check out your states plan, they have various incentives that a 529 with a brokerage may not have. Indiana’s for example, if you put $5k you get a $1k return at the end of the year. Not a write off, they give you $1k. So you’re essentially putting in $5k a year at a cost of $4k. It’s insanely good. But you have to join the one Indians specific plan that does that, not just have a 529 and live in the state.

• 2Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
You can also consider a UTMA custodial account for kids. It grows tax free up to certain limits and is then handed over to the kids when they hit the legal age of maturity (by state). Its not a retirement account, but I see it as a great vehicle to use for kids to have a down payment for a house or the like when they are adults. Think of it like a brokerage account for kids that you manage where you cant take any money out and the account becomes theirs at adulthood.
I had thought 529 would be superior because you can just keep it in your name and then pay for your kids education shit out of it anyway without decreasing their lifetime gift amount?

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I had thought 529 would be superior because you can just keep it in your name and then pay for your kids education shit out of it anyway without decreasing their lifetime gift amount?
I should have been more clear. I wasn't mentioning UTMA as an exclusive alternative but as an addition even if you go the 529 route. My daughter is now 14 and my goal with the UTMA is to hand it to her with enough in it for a down payment on a house. I throw in spare cash now and again and let it run in indexes (QQQ and SPYG).

• 2Like

Il_Duce Lightning Lord Rule

Lightning Fast
<Charitable Administrator>
Thanks for all the input, everyone!
tenor.gif

• 1Galaxy Brain