Investing General Discussion

Titan_Atlas

Deus Vult
<Banned>
It's 1.83% and going down. Which is why I need to, I dunno, buy something.
Cash during chaos. Sit on your money, watch precious metals drop while people sell them to cover debt. In 3-5 months gold will drop to 1250-1300 and Silver to 11.50. Buy them them when the paper has been burned and ride gold to 4600 or Silver to 65. Then sell and turn it back into the market once stabilised above 15k. Or if you have good enough credit buy income generating properties for cheap in 3-4 years. Right now cash is king, sit on it.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Cash during chaos. Sit on your money, watch precious metals drop while people sell them to cover debt. In 3-5 months gold will drop to 1250-1300 and Silver to 11.50. Buy them them when the paper has been burned and ride gold to 4600 or Silver to 65. Then sell and turn it back into the market once stabilised above 15k. Or if you have good enough credit buy income generating properties for cheap in 3-4 years. Right now cash is king, sit on it.
The market is going to bounce back way sooner than you think.

Trump might be a fucking retard but retards in charge are good for the markets, until the market blows itself up.

This is not a financial crisis. This is just a sell-off.

I plan on buying as soon as the DJIA goes under 20k. It might not be the bottom of the dip but you don't have to get in at the absolute bottom.

• 1Picard
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
It's 1.83% and going down. Which is why I need to, I dunno, buy something.

Awesome.

Prolly have a chance to buy something awesome in Tennessee if you were serious about that.

Or pick any other investment, whatever your preference.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
There are some really smart people that I respect in the investing world that have repeatedly said to avoid buying the dip. This is entirely different to any historical modeling re supply shocks and the coming demand shocks. El-Erian repeated the advice to avoid the dip again yesterday.

I moved from equities into bonds on the 11th of February and my gut says the worst is yet to come. The US is in absolutely no position to deal with a pandemic for a myriad of reasons.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
1? I've got 300k in cash sitting on the sidelines, I want to get rich, bitch.

I’m confused. I don’t want to turn this into a Mist derail but I thought you had more money than you needed, don’t care about it, and dislike capitalism. Now you’re going to start investing?

Good on you, it’s what you should do. Just wondering why you had the sudden change of heart, unless all of the above was very long game shitposting.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
The market is going to bounce back way sooner than you think.

Trump might be a fucking retard but retards in charge are good for the markets, until the market blows itself up.

This is not a financial crisis. This is just a sell-off.

I plan on buying as soon as the DJIA goes under 20k. It might not be the bottom of the dip but you don't have to get in at the absolute bottom.

The problem with that is what if it doesn’t get to 20? And you just sideline forever and watch it slowly rise back up to 29, missing out on all of it. Since you don’t have anything in there at all, start moving chunks of it now while the dips and swings are happening. Short term you may end up down 10% if it really goes from 23 to 20, but that will come back and you won’t miss out on huge upswings in the future because you had some magic number picked out that may never happen and never got in at all.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
There are some really smart people that I respect in the investing world that have repeatedly said to avoid buying the dip. This is entirely different to any historical modeling re supply shocks and the coming demand shocks. El-Erian repeated the advice to avoid the dip again yesterday.

I moved from equities into bonds on the 11th of February and my gut says the worst is yet to come. The US is in absolutely no position to deal with a pandemic for a myriad of reasons.

Buying and holding during crises has never failed me. Dunno who you listen to. I've said before my biggest investment windfall in my life so far was dumping 2 years of my Army Iraq salary (like $93k at the time) into the market in 2008. That time was out of ignorance because I was a 20 year old retard.

Now that I understand it better. This time tells me start buying. But again I've always held and I've never sold anything yet. The market will absolutely recover. Just like it has done multiple times before.

But buying in now is just like Blazin Blazin says. It never feels good to buy in as it plummets because once it goes lower you feel like you missed out... which you do in a way. But not enough that it matters over time. Just need to suck it up.

• 8Like
Reactions: 7 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Buying and holding during crises has never failed me. Dunno who you listen to. I've said before my biggest investment windfall in my life so far was dumping 2 years of my Army Iraq salary (like $93k at the time) into the market in 2008. That time was out of ignorance because I was a 20 year old retard.

Now that I understand it better. This time tells me start buying. But again I've always held and I've never sold anything yet. The market will absolutely recover. Just like it has done multiple times before.

But buying in now is just like Blazin Blazin says. It never feels good to buy in as it plummets because once it goes lower you feel like you missed out... which you do in a way. But not enough that it matters over time. Just need to suck it up.

Agree with this completely. I’m only bummed right now that I don’t have more cash on hand. Buying during dips and losing doesn’t bother me much, missing the gains is what bothers me. Right now I feel like I’m going to miss out a lot over the next year because I don’t have cash on hand to get a bunch in.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>

The trick is not to blow your wad on a single buy in. Buy down in chunks. Have a plan. Know your percentages of portfolio allocation. This isn't as complex as it sounds. If you decide no more than 5% of a single stock then keep track of it after each purchase. Same with index funds. Have a percentage of allocation in mind. I so wanted to add to XOM yesterday but I am at my allocation limit. I know I left money on the table but I stick to my caps.

I can't stress this enough. Have a plan. No matter how novice one might be, have a plan. Few things worse than just random seat of your pants buying/selling. Try to eliminate emotion and just follow your script.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
I think Trump , because election year, is going to throw everything + the kitchen sink at this in this afternoons speech. So I expect a big rally tomorrow which might be the last chance to cut and run before the other shoe drops and corono starts to bloom around the USA.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
All you guys buying before it dips and complaining about the drops are litterally making me chortle.

You really think the stock markets are gonna go up when they start quarantining cities/states, when trump gets sick? Those things are gonna happen, so button up.

Lets not even mention the swing in exchange rates. The amount of money being borrowed in negative interest rate countries to be gambled over here must have been astronomical.

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
All you guys buying before it dips and complaining about the drops are litterally making me chortle.

You really think the stock markets are gonna go up when they start quarantining cities/states, when trump gets sick? Those things are gonna happen, so button up.

Lets not even mention the swing in exchange rates. The amount of money being borrowed in negative interest rate countries to be gambled over here must have been astronomical.
You basically write the same things in this thread and the Coronachan thread just changing a few words. Say something original at least.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Any thoughts on X (US Steel)?

We are due a big infrastructure push, and this Corona should encourage domestic manufacturing to return. That shit takes steel. All time low I think?

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Times could be a changing...
Extremely against. Weakening requirements when loose standards lead to this situation being ready to pop is exactly the wrong way to go. The great depression should have been a lesson on trying to stop inevitable pain. It doesn't work and probably makes it worse.