Investing General Discussion

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
"Foreign investors" really means sovereign wealth funds. Also remember that almost all foreign debt is dollar denominated. As local currencies sink they have to buy dollars to pay their loan payments. And as unattractive as our current yields are, with negative yields around the globe, our debt is the only real game in town.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I'm not going to shit up this thread with politics. Rarely has our Federal system (sovereign states coming together) been more impactful than it is right now. High population states with lots of jobs chose to shut down their economies while some extremely low pop states did not (or did so in a minimalist way). If I have some time I will track the numbers by state.

My concern now is less about current unemployment numbers and more about how many of those jobs never come back as companies decide to use this period to make the move to telecommuting permanent and that they really don't see a production downside to only brining back 80% of those laid off.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
I'm not going to shit up this thread with politics. Rarely has our Federal system (sovereign states coming together) been more impactful than it is right now. High population states with lots of jobs chose to shut down their economies while some extremely low pop states did not (or did so in a minimalist way). If I have some time I will track the numbers by state.

My concern now is less about current unemployment numbers and more about how many of those jobs never come back as companies decide to use this period to make the move to telecommuting permanent and that they really don't see a production downside to only brining back 80% of those laid off.

Well yeah...

Real estate is in for a rocky couple of years

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Good sign. As we get close to the bell, bid/ask numbers for SPY/QQQ are getting near yesterday's close. We may get a close to green open.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
VTIQ/Nikola update. Looks like the Robbinhood day traders have moved on. Volume is down to more normal levels and the stock has leveled off around 22-25 range.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Until they vote on approving the merger on June 2nd!

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
FYI - for anyone looking for a Biotech play, BIIB dropped below its 50 DMA. EPS over $30, good pipeline and I think it's a good long term investment at this price $300 - $303.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
The one positive about this market black swan is it is going to kill off some zombies and poorly run companies. Hertz problem wasn't the pandemic, it was that they where always the highest priced (by a lot) in a market with an elastic product. Even being Hertz Gold i never used them anymore because they were usually double the price of some others.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Markets just aren't reacting much to that bill that passed the senate delisting all companies that don't allow independent accounting oversight.

Doesn't sound too shocking until you realize independent accounting oversight is illegal in china and this bill will delist all of them. It was a bi-partisan introduction that passed on unanimous consent, so it's chance of becoming law is very high.

Chinese stocks were never smart to begin with, and now they seem really unsmart. The bigger concern overall to me is what will china do in response? This is a pretty big move and china would pretty much be obligated to match.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Chinese stocks were mostly nebulous reverse mergers anyway weren't they? Good riddance to bad rubbish!

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Chinese stocks were mostly nebulous reverse mergers anyway weren't they? Good riddance to bad rubbish!

A few have been clawing their way into looking like actual companies that do actual things, like alibaba. I wouldn't trust any chinese company with my money, but I can at least understand why some do, plus they passed metrics that makes institutional investors buy them as parts of diversified portfolios. The threat of delisting will cause all those statistical investors to likely be obligated to sell.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Markets just aren't reacting much to that bill that passed the senate delisting all companies that don't allow independent accounting oversight.

Doesn't sound too shocking until you realize independent accounting oversight is illegal in china and this bill will delist all of them. It was a bi-partisan introduction that passed on unanimous consent, so it's chance of becoming law is very high.

Chinese stocks were never smart to begin with, and now they seem really unsmart. The bigger concern overall to me is what will china do in response? This is a pretty big move and china would pretty much be obligated to match.
Probably assuming it doesn't get passed in the House.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Fucking KSA should be reading this thread or better yet hire Blazin Blazin and myself to run their wealth fund. Stocks were slammed with a generational event and they buy Marriot, Carnival, LiveNation and fucking oil companies. Different countries' oil companies counts as diversity, right? Fuck investing in AAPL, MSFT, GOOG, JNJ, WMT or the host of other blue-chip companies that were down 25+%. Fucking noobs.

• 1Like

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
It could reverse at any time, but at this point I half expect the S&P to be at 5000 by end of year. Prolly depends on what wave 2(3?) of stimulus looks like

• 1Like

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
I'm gonna start buying puts on companies end of trading on the day that they announce vaccines stuff.

Not a lot, just my giggle money. Novavax I'm looking at you tonight.