Investing General Discussion

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Put a limit order in at .5% below market thinking it'd never execute. For some reason it did. Thanks whoever the guy using a big market trade was.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
It could reverse at any time, but at this point I half expect the S&P to be at 5000 by end of year. Prolly depends on what wave 2(3?) of stimulus looks like

If it hits 4k I'm going to start selling some stuff.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
So my Vanguard ETF total gain/loss is now at "0". I have shares in VDE which is pure pain and a significant portion into VTI.

I'm wondering if I should liquidate it all and wait for a dip, then re-enter into VTI and hold for long-term. Or, alternatively, take the loss in VDE and put that into VTI now or wait for a drop.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
For now, I think powell and other govs rotating stimulus will be enough to keep the stonks afloat while the economy blows up in the background. I took that limit order on one account as a divine cast of the dice and am all in. I expect another crash within 6 months, the credit market is just TOO ugly for it not to be coming. Could be our october surprise this election, since repubs gave pelosi the key with this anti-china bill.

Pescador

Trakanon Raider
Sold. I'm gonna be riding this cycle for some EZ money, it's been too consistent.
This drop is hitting every company though. Probably the biggest drop in this industry since the pandemic hit. I think a lot of portfolios are unloading to take profits in case the pandemic dies down before Ph1 readouts start to trickle in and Ph2-3 studies kick off.

I still think buying the major players now will yield a couple big wins over the next 2-3 months. I made over 300% on Novavax alone when they went from $18 to $55 (small money since I mostly trade for fun), and the phase 1 safety + immunogenicity readouts for all these companies should be big spikes if Moderna hasn't soured the market on those types of announcements.

My expertise is in biopharma so I just enjoy betting on success for companies that seen promising to me. I'm sure that playing the ups and downs is more profitable overall if you have the stomach for it!

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I didn't buy into any of the pharma/bio stocks on this wave. Enjoy the ride if you can boys!

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I expect this is just end of the month rebalancing more than anything else. The China/Hong Kong/Trade Deal/Wuhan Cover-up not withstanding of course. The stuff that was hot the last couple of months (big tech, blue chips and pharma/health/bio) made so much that to maintain balances positions needed trimmed. Its one reason there is a push to value and industrials. They had been lagging and were under weight in the portfolios. When my Tech and Bio stocks are down while the likes of CAT, LMT and GD are ripping its a sign of a balancing rotation in my eyes.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Took the dip as an opportunity to add little bits to my existing SPYG and XLK positions. Might be a downturn in the short term but in the long run tech and growth are where I want to add to.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
1_uDQSjdKtkX7jNiOJqy-2fA.jpeg.jpg

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Futures looking pretty strong again. For the first time I'm seeing what I want to see. The recovery is starting to happen in the little guys, and not just piles of money flying into the 'safe' stocks. The real world situation is still grim as can be, so I really don't trust that everything is done, but I'll take profits while I can.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Futures looking pretty strong again. For the first time I'm seeing what I want to see. The recovery is starting to happen in the little guys, and not just piles of money flying into the 'safe' stocks. The real world situation is still grim as can be, so I really don't trust that everything is done, but I'll take profits while I can.
It's what should be expected. At a certain point the valuations force rotations to those stocks/sectors that got no love in the recovery. The thing is those that got ignored got ignored for a reason. I certainly ain't buying most of the crap with lower valuations. I am pretty set of my portfolio. Adding new faces would most likely mean adding what I consider 2nd tier stocks.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Ok, advice for this guy here, who has been too skeptical to buy back in? Sold Feb 11th, feeling proud of missing the big hit.. but never felt confident enough to pull the trigger to buy back in. At current valuations, I see far more downside risk vs upside potential. Trying to avoid buying with emotion, but absolutely feeling the FOMO!

Where are the value buys now? I am not talking insignificant figures either, so there's a lot on the line. I have early retirement in mind in ~8 years time.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Ok, advice for this guy here, who has been too skeptical to buy back in? Sold Feb 11th, feeling proud of missing the big hit.. but never felt confident enough to pull the trigger to buy back in. At current valuations, I see far more downside risk vs upside potential. Trying to avoid buying with emotion, but absolutely feeling the FOMO!

Where are the value buys now? I am not talking insignificant figures either, so there's a lot on the line. I have early retirement in mind in ~8 years time.

Ive been giving advice for two months a way to play this that has reaped huge gains so that this wouldn't happen to people. If you wouldnt even buy something at SPX 2180 then maybe you aren't really interested in owning stocks. There is no such thing as a safe time to buy, the hardest purchases are often the right one. Not trying to be hard on you but the only reason I even post in this thread is to try to help people just like you, so I guess I'm disappointed. I'm up 10% on things I just posted just a week or two ago. There was still value to be bought it had under performed. Now in the last two weeks there has been major catch up. For everyone who missed the Mar low we just had JPM at below 80, we had BRK in the 170s, we had Coke near 43, XLF below 22.

Seriously bummed, I knew Furry would miss the opportunities but I was hoping to have got through to some people because these decisions is what results in people under performing in a way that can have real effects on their future financial standing.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Khane

Got something right about marriage
If you've been giving people advice this entire time I sure haven't seen it. You talk about what you'll be buying, sometimes, and tend to use a lot of investing jargon that muddles whatever advice might actually be there for someone who doesn't sniff their own portfolio farts.

And posts like the above are very eyeroll worthy. Seems to me that because certain people in here act like you're the FoH investing god you've started to buy into it as well.

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
If you've been giving people advice this entire time I sure haven't seen it. You talk about what you'll be buying, sometimes, and tend to use a lot of investing jargon that muddles whatever advice might actually be there for someone who doesn't sniff their own portfolio farts.

And posts like the above are very eyeroll worthy. Seems to me that because certain people in here act like you're the FoH investing god you've started to buy into it as well.

I'm not going to say "buy this now" . I try to explain what I'm doing and why, so that people learn and not just copy a trade. As far as lingo that is not intentional on my part, and would be happy to elaborate if someone asked. I didn't mean to toot my own horn but reasonable for you to take it that way I guess. I'm honestly just wanting to give something to the community that is difficult to find in a sea of bad information. I have navigated pretty well one of the most difficult markets ever for seasoned professionals and explained it as I did it. You are still free to be snarky about it, the post history is there for people to come to their own conclusions.

You obviously believe whatever reputation I do have here is not deserved despite the openness, and you are certainly entitled to your opinion. I'm willing to admit I think my experience and knowledge level is higher than your own in this field, and I think I seek to be more helpful to people here than yourself. Why you have to turn someone having knowledge in a field into thinking I or anyone else believes I'm a "FOH investing god" I'm not sure. Would you act that way about someone who is a carpenter or a surgeon? You work in healthcare data or something I believe and I'm sure you are far more knowledgeable about than I am. I just happen to have a profession that people dabble in as a hobby that makes a stark contrast at times between individuals.

So again I apologize if I sounded condescending to him, I was actually just legit disappointed because I am sympathetic to how he is feeling right now and the difficulty of the situation.