Investing General Discussion

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Must be something crazy today 'cause our traders are freaking saying RT pricing in Bloomberg is lagging.

Volume is high, but not anything I'd call extreme. This is definitely just one of those random panic days where the market decides to roll back a week of gains.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
"6:30 am is here, lets check the market..."

The Market:

• 6Worf
Reactions: 5 users

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
I was planning to dump all my holdings next month to avoid volatility that I think this election will bring... maybe the right time is now though.

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I was planning to dump all my holdings next month to avoid volatility that I think this election will bring... maybe the right time is now though.
The right time might have been at about 3:59pm yesterday.
Dont sell into fear. This market was overdue for a downturn. What fundamentally has changed since yesterday when it was buy, buy, buy? Nothing. This is profit taking and a breather.

edit: watch the market at 3:51pm and lets see what it does. See if big money decide to buy in or if it pukes. If it pukes even more into the close look for stocks you like and it might be an entry point.

Titan_Atlas

Deus Vult
<Banned>
What is happening is:
The Federal reserve was used to rescue the big fish and techs because they are necessary for the great reset. They were given time to re-allocate and unwind their positions. They also encouraged a generation of idiots to take the bag and bankrupt themselves. You are the bagholders.

• 2Moron
  • 1Slow
  • 1Like
Reactions: 4 users

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
The right time might have been at about 3:59pm yesterday.
Dont sell into fear. This market was overdue for a downturn. What fundamentally has changed since yesterday when it was buy, buy, buy? Nothing. This is profit taking and a breather.

edit: watch the market at 3:51pm and lets see what it does. See if big money decide to buy in or if it pukes. If it pukes even more into the close look for stocks you like and it might be an entry point.
I'm actually not down much today (less than a percent) because I have little exposure to tech at this point. I like my portfolio at the moment but my concern is that tech is going to continue to slide and drag the rest of the market down with it and investors will be hesitant to buy back in until after the election. In other words, I think the overall market trajectory is downwards between now and Nov 3rd, barring a vaccine receiving FDA approval.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
What is happening is:
The Federal reserve was used to rescue the big fish and techs because they are necessary for the great reset. They were given time to re-allocate and unwind their positions. They also encouraged a generation of idiots to take the bag and bankrupt themselves. You are the bagholders.
Cool larp and all, but where's the evidence any of that happened?

Where are the massive amount of companies missing earnings? Wouldn't we have had a massive market loss prior to this, and not a giant runup in August?

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I'm actually not down much today (less than a percent) because I have little exposure to tech at this point. I like my portfolio at the moment but my concern is that tech is going to continue to slide and drag the rest of the market down with it and investors will be hesitant to buy back in until after the election. In other words, I think the overall market trajectory is downwards between now and Nov 3rd, barring a vaccine receiving FDA approval.
Questions you need to ask and why I mentioned the market close. Up until about a few hours ago this was not a wholesale puke, mainly tech. Airlines, cruiselines, financials were green. That isnt capitulation. That is profit taking on overheated sectors. We are back where we were like two weeks ago. S&P 500 hitting 3400 on the way up was "holy shit thats awesome". Hitting it on the way down is "capitulation"?

If you think the fundamentals have changed and the market is going to tank for the next six weeks then yes, go to cash. If you have long term investments that you plan to hold for years then selling is just market timing.

I bought NVDA at $350 like 10 weeks ago. It hit $590 yesterday. Am I going to sell because it dropped $50 today? Im still up 45% in 10 weeks.

Fear and greed are two emotions that kill portfolios. I can only speak for me, Im not selling because my investments are long term and I suck at market timing. TSLA is still the equivalent of 2,000 a share at last weeks price. Yes the market puked today, but keep it in the perspective of the last 4 weeks of near parabolic upward movement.

Edit: more perspective. If we have another day tomorrow just like today and AAPL drops another $10 a share, it it will still be about 15% higher than it was the day before the split was announced.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
AMZN has dropped so far it is back where it was.... 6 trading days ago.

1599161949614.png