Investing General Discussion

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
Renting is a fools game unless you do it full time with a portfolio of at least 5 rentals or more (the more the safer). You need to be a dedicated handyman/manager, or have enough income to have one on payroll. All your places should be local to you unless you own large number of properties. Obviously the numbers change if you have any rentals that you've completely paid off.

We had two rentals out of state (homes we just kept after various moves) and it was always stressful. In the end they both ended up being net negatives even with making a few hundred a month on each. Every time I'm reminded that we finally sold them off I get a warm feeling inside. Never again.

Have you ever looked at Fundrise.com? I've been tempted by it before in the past, but I don't think I want any part of that right now until all this COVID shit ends and people start paying their rents again.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
SNDL bounced back from that share offering better than I thought it would. Also going to take a stab at trading calls, either way weed is back on the menu

1612370404913.png

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Have you ever looked at Fundrise.com? I've been tempted by it before in the past, but I don't think I want any part of that right now until all this COVID shit ends and people start paying their rents again.

I was just talking about having rental properties. I'll be staying away from real estate market investments. That website looks like a scam btw.

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
There will be a manufactured pandemic every five to ten years from now on. It's been too lucrative for our new tech overlords and their puppet politicians in both parties. Count on that for your future plans.

• 3Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 3 users

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I whole heartedly agree on residential real estate as investment. Once a year I'll get interested in rental properties, and go start reading on bigger pockets, and these people are putting down tens of thousands of dollars, and they will cash flow like $150-200/month, and then have some large capital expense that wipes out a year or two of profits on the house. And then the stories about evictions, wow, just sounds absolutely terrible. Professional tenants that know how to stay in your house for almost a year for free. That shit blows my mind: that's my fucking house, you aren't paying rent, how the fuck can't I just go kick you out?
I guess the upside is leverage.

You can lever yourself until you get a "property empire" of a certain number of properties and eventually get a positive cash flow. Just seems too much of a crap shoot for me.

Mario Speedwagon

Gold Recognition
<Prior Amod>
Just become a slumlord. Biden will expand "affordable housing" initiatives. Just let the government pay you to house joggers and don't waste any money on maintenance.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I guess the upside is leverage.

You can lever yourself until you get a "property empire" of a certain number of properties and eventually get a positive cash flow. Just seems too much of a crap shoot for me.
I have a friend who started his real estate venture by just moving and keeping his first house, then he did it a few more times. I think he has 4-5 houses now. Eventually the payoff will be huge when that first house is paid off, it will snowball and pay off the others quickly.

I’ve thought about it a couple times but talking to him I just wouldn’t want the headache of it. He says it’s not too bad but when you get calls because one of the $8k furnace/AC dies, or you have a shitty tenant, or even a good one has something come up and they need an extra two months but you already have a tenant lined up behind them, or a list of other small annoyances he’s talked about...I just realize I wouldn’t want to deal with that when I already have a full time job and a kid.

It may be something good to start when we’re thinking about selling this huge house we have in 15 years and I’m closer to retirement age, it wouldn’t be as annoying if you were retired or working part time. But then is it really worth it if you won’t have it paid off for a long time? Idk. I think I’m just not the personality type for owning real estate/renting.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
So all that being said about real estate: Don't.

Seriously, unless you have connections or are your own GC, it just isn't worth it, before you even factor in the current politics.

• 1Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
So all that being said about real estate: Don't.

Seriously, unless you have connections or are your own GC, it just isn't worth it, before you even factor in the current politics.
Hey but if I just watch the DIY channel, and if I make a pilgrimage to Magnolia in Waco, I can become a house flipper, and gain immediate construction experience overnight.

The money will just start rolling in...

• 1Like

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
I invest into real estate in Russia

I own an entire 5 story apartment block already

• 1WTF

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Checked in on our buddies AMC/GME, and they've been holding the 8/90$ range all day. God bless those diamond hands

• 7Like
Reactions: 6 users

bytes

Molten Core Raider
I'll tell you exactly what it was because I invested in them right before it happened :honkler::honkler:

They were getting behind on their R&D game so they announced they were getting rid of their dividend (to use the extra cash to catch up), so people bailed.
So their earnings report is tomorrow and it's probably roughly the same result as last time. What's the usual reaction by investors in a situation like this? Even if the stock price isn't very high, would people just dump it because they're bored?

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
So their earnings report is tomorrow and it's probably roughly the same result as last time. What's the usual reaction by investors in a situation like this? Even if the stock price isn't very high, would people just dump it because they're bored?

I dunno, I only recently got back into them (thxs to this meme shit). I took a loss last time and more than made it all up with better picks. History may repeat itself, we shall see. But they did CLAIME they were cleaning house, got a new CEO, used their former dividen to get their shit together, etc.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
So I got into BTNB a couple days ago because of the word here. It is my first SPAC and I've been reading up on them a bit.
I'm up a couple % right now. What's the ceiling on these SPACs? Do you look for big gains or settle for 5-10% if that?
Edit: Actually just looked and I'm up closer to 10% on it

• 1Like