Investing General Discussion

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Well 2021 was a wild one financially.

Quit my job with the DoD in March, took a new one in May, and quit that one in October to retire.
Moved from California to Florida in April, taking 6 weeks to drive across the country. About a week or two into it, homeless, we crossed our milestone for financial independence/possible early retirement (the point in which our investment accounts make enough annually to cover 100% of our expenses).

Total liquid investments were up 31.34% on the year (including contributions, but we stopped those early in the year; 401k's stopped March, tIRA's sometime around summer). Total net worth up 21.61%. This also includes the equity from selling our house in California, but also putting 20% down on a new house in Florida. We bought a new car in cash (well, financed and paid off same month).

Entering our third month of early retirement. Outside of the impending economic collapse and ongoing inflation, things are going quite well.

• 8Like
  • 1Tendies
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 9 users

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
@Shonuff LachiusTZ LachiusTZ @Locnar Gravel Gravel TJT TJT @Mist @Borzak @Wingz Ravishing Ravishing Let's go chop chop. PM me your 22 year end guess for SPX

Do we get to see everyone else's picks?

5200 I guess?

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>

Chart of guesses/picks updated. Avg guess is a 11.42% gain not far off from the markets average. We are coming off a hot year, reversion to the mean or more room to run?

FICRJ1pXoAUSO4e.jpg

Last edited:

Lejina

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
<Bronze Donator>
This will make everyone feel better. There are hedge funds run by professionals that get PAID to put out returns worse than we did. Three on the list beat the SP500.

Mutual fund I used to have got me little more than 6% return after fees. Took me a good decade to clue in this was horseshit and averaged 29.4% since I took control of what stock I invest in (23.6% this year). I'm just some asshole with little more than a blindfold and a dart board.

My disdain of mutual fund managers is right there with politicians and journalists.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Mutual fund I used to have got me little more than 6% return after fees. Took me a good decade to clue in this was horseshit and averaged 29.4% since I took control of what stock I invest in (23.6% this year). I'm just some asshole with little more than a blindfold and a dart board.

My disdain of mutual fund managers is right there with politicians and journalists.
Unlike Wallstreet, a whore let's you fuck them after you pay them. With Wallstreet "professionals" they fuck you after you pay them.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I think I posted my story before, when my wife and I were young, we had a good amount of disposable income from my deployments (tax free plus combat zone pay), we went to Edward Jones and started up some IRAs.

We ended up in some front loaded funds, I think 5%, that also had annual fees of something in the 1-2% range. We got absolutely fucked. But worse, the agent assigned to the branch changed several times and each time, they would suggest new funds. I think they probably glossed over the fees we incurred each time.

I hate to think how much money we lost over those years. The only saving grace is we never touched it otherwise and so it recovered after the Recession pretty well.

Even despite getting a finance degree, I never really looked back in to whether the funds we were in were worth a shit. It wasn't until finding FIRE that I realized I could do it myself. So in 2014 we transferred everything to Vanguard and put it all in total market index funds.

You'd think Edward Jones would have some kind of fiduciary duty, and maybe they do, but I've got nothing but bad things to say about them, and in the years since, all I've heard is negative stories.

• 1Like
  • 1Rustled

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I think I posted my story before, when my wife and I were young, we had a good amount of disposable income from my deployments (tax free plus combat zone pay), we went to Edward Jones and started up some IRAs.

We ended up in some front loaded funds, I think 5%, that also had annual fees of something in the 1-2% range. We got absolutely fucked. But worse, the agent assigned to the branch changed several times and each time, they would suggest new funds. I think they probably glossed over the fees we incurred each time.

I hate to think how much money we lost over those years. The only saving grace is we never touched it otherwise and so it recovered after the Recession pretty well.

Even despite getting a finance degree, I never really looked back in to whether the funds we were in were worth a shit. It wasn't until finding FIRE that I realized I could do it myself. So in 2014 we transferred everything to Vanguard and put it all in total market index funds.

You'd think Edward Jones would have some kind of fiduciary duty, and maybe they do, but I've got nothing but bad things to say about them, and in the years since, all I've heard is negative stories.
All investing firms have a fiduciary duty to their clients. The problem is they own the SEC. The #1 reason I did not end up on Wallstreet was I couldn't bring myself to fuck people over every day for a buck.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

rinthea

Trakanon Raider
All investing firms have a fiduciary duty to their clients. The problem is they own the SEC. The #1 reason I did not end up on Wallstreet was I couldn't bring myself to fuck people over every day for a buck.
as corrupt as you think it is, multiply it by 100

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Tesla off to the races this morning. +7% pre

Who was it that posted TSLA is the easiest short on the market?

• 1Like

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
I have the cash on hand to nuke my Roth, but with the whole vaccine mandate at my job I decided to only knock out the first 3k today and keep the rest in my contingency planning pile. Hiring a lawyer might be the best investment opportunity that comes along this year, so don't even feel bad about it.
wooop.png

• 1Solidarity

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
2022 going to be a big year for Disney imo.
Assuming Covid is eased up by mid-end of year for the theme parks.
And they have some big movies slated for 2022
The biggest likely being Avatar 2, but we'll see Dr Strange, Wakanda Forever, Lightyear, Thor... all titles that have had huge success already and are known IPs... instead of shit like Shang Chi & Eternals.

• 2Like

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
ORCL looking interesting down here. Fairly beaten up stock and right at the 200DMA

• 1Like