Investing General Discussion

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
I need a special monitor just to watch on Fed days that can handle being struck repeatedly, they are infuriating. What I would give to be allowed to sit in on just one FOMC meeting and give me 15 mins to talk and and ask them questions. Would probably just have to walk away with the realization just how unsuited for their jobs these people are. He isn't an idiot, but they live in a bubble that blinds them.

• 1Truth!
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I believe after the Carter mega inflation years the first thing they did was cut out the money supply pumping and then up the interest rates. I guess not having another stimulus counts as cutting the money supply but....
Google Paul Volcker. Your questions will be answered and you will be in awe of what a real Fed Chairman acts like.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I need a special monitor just to watch on Fed days that can handle being struck repeatedly, they are infuriating. What I would give to be allowed to sit in on just one FOMC meeting and give me 15 mins to talk and and ask them questions. Would probably just have to walk away with the realization just how unsuited for their jobs these people are. He isn't an idiot, but they live in a bubble that blinds them.
The tweets in response to his speech are comic gold.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
You can tell Powell is continuing to speak lawl.
He isn't an idiot, but they live in a bubble that blinds them.
None of the choices they make or dont make have any impact to them. The absolute worst that happens is they lose their job and keep the god knows how much money they where able to make of their privileged information while they then go ply their connections and insider knowledge somewhere else. Its what happens in any system where the powers that be have no personal stake in it.

Zog

Blackwing Lair Raider
He just knows he cant raise rates because it will bankrupt the government, his only other way to combat inflation is the balance sheet. It honestly makes sense to me why he is doing what hes doing. Politics infects everything. Thats why he said he wont sell treasury notes.

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
You can tell Powell is continuing to speak lawl.

None of the choices they make or dont make have any impact. The absolute worst that happens is they lose their job and keep the god knows how much money they where able to profit off of their privileged information while they then go ply their connections and insider knowledge somewhere else. Its what happens in any system where the powers that be have no personal stake in it.
These guys get a much bigger hard on from thepower of their position than making money. I don't think powell cares about his wealth at this point, but he does get a little a clit boner behind the podium just like janet while playing god.

• 2Truth!
  • 2Like
Reactions: 3 users

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
He just knows he cant raise rates because it will bankrupt the government, his only other way to combat inflation is the balance sheet. It honestly makes sense to me why he is doing what hes doing. Politics infects everything. Thats why he said he wont sell treasury notes.
No and yes. They are not concerned about interest on the debt when it doesn't even match inflation rate. But yes politics plays a large role in how elitist view the world.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
BTC mirroring stock movements since 2pm because...

Who Knows Idk GIF

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
So somehow the market could take 2% fed funds rate in 2018-19 but now we can't even handle 0.25%. 7% inflation (which we all know is BS) and we are at Z E R O.

11 million job openings and we are at Z E R O.

Can you imagine what an economy would look like that Janet Powell here would need more immediate action? Like seriously what it would look like, say the number, what would warrant action?

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Google Paul Volcker. Your questions will be answered and you will be in awe of what a real Fed Chairman acts like.

Yeah I remember. I was a mega nerd as a kid. We took 4 papers a day and I read them front to back. 2 local a morning and afternoon paper, the Houston Chronicle, and the Wall Street Journal.

But yeah recently watched a documentary on the period.

Zog

Blackwing Lair Raider
The market is overreacting, if anything this should be bullish for stocks.

More inflation = higher asset prices, eventually people should come to this conclusion.

I think Sandris is right, people looking for any excuse to sell.

Borzak

Uncertaintity, I would say that's it when nobody knows what the fed is doing and when.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Left to go hang some garage storage before the Fed meeting. Come back and everyone is talking about how everything is fine and the Fed said nothing of importance. Meanwhile the market took a massive shit and I can't figure out what happened?

• 1Worf
  • 1Solidarity

Borzak

But you can make a TON of money at work and the market. Nevermind the fact that a candy bar is now $20 you make more money and that's the selling point. My grandmother died at age 100 and I heard it until the day she died almost, she missed 20% CD's lol. Of course she didn't spend any money.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Seems like uncertainty. Markets hate uncertainty. Powell came out like a wet noodle dodging everything and carrying on like business as usual.

Hell, I think at this point the market would have rather him just simply come out and say raising X on X date. We're all left just wondering wtf their direction is.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity