Investing General Discussion

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I sure do believe in reversion to the mean. Its a shame I was not a more experienced investor when I started actively investing RIGHT at the same time Covid hit. Everything just went up and up, made wild gains in two day trades, etc.

Then last year hit, I stayed at the table too long and lost all my wild gains plus a good 15 percent into the negative overall. Much happier now that I've trimmed most of my meme stocks and went deeper into the big boys. I'm still not where I need to be, and probably more pain to come for me as I unwind more shitstocks, but i've stopped doubling down hoping for "one last win".

I should have stuck to my original plan of restricting active trading to my Roth and self directed 401k and kept my main account as a index. All those taxes I could have saved too (but then again I ate huge losses in December to tax harvest against my wins so taxes won't be a huge issue now).
Indexes really are key in nearly every portfolio. Build it around the index and then use individual stocks to give you either a> increased weight to a favorite stock, b> give you exposure to sectors not I'm the index (like QQQ and financial stocks) or c> both a and b. I am around 40% ETF, and I am pretty sure Blazin Blazin uses a core ETF in one or more portfolios.

Even Cramer (hallowed be his name 😃) suggests the first 10k of any portfolio start with with an ETF like SPY or QQQ.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Indexes really are key in nearly every portfolio. Build it around the index and then use individual stocks to give you either a> increased weight to a favorite stock, b> give you exposure to sectors not I'm the index (like QQQ and financial stocks) or c> both a and b. I am around 40% ETF, and I am pretty sure Blazin Blazin uses a core ETF in one or more portfolios.

Even Cramer (hallowed be his name 😃) suggests the first 10k of any portfolio start with with an ETF like SPY or QQQ.
When my portfolio is big enough, I'll do half and half ETFs and selling puts. Even if you only make 1-2% a month premium in selling puts, thats still 12-24% a year, and you can get 1% a month in premium while still being conservative. Its not exciting as trading/swinging for sure and takes a lot of dedication constantly setting up your buys/sells for what seems like small gains. But tortoise and the hare and all that

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
When my portfolio is big enough, I'll do half and half ETFs and selling puts. Even if you only make 1-2% a month premium in selling puts, thats still 12-24% a year, and you can get 1% a month in premium while still being conservative. Its not exciting as trading/swinging for sure and takes a lot of dedication constantly setting up your buys/sells for what seems like small gains. But tortoise and the hare and all that
It really is the same mentality Brownfield Capital (of big short fame) to go from tens of thousands to tens of millions. Minimize risk and spread out your plays to guarantee wins and avoid big losses. One big loss can wipe out multiple big gains. The key in my opinion is avoiding the big loss and preserving capital to play another day. Be happy with the smaller gains.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
This is my fault.
I have never on a single trade lost sleep over selling too soon. I do analyze the trade to see what I got wrong on my sell price but not a worry about "oh noes, I lost xxx dollars if I had held longer".

I got out of NKLA in the $40s from like $13 and never once cried that I didn't hold until the $90s.

• 1Like

Haus

<Silver Donator>
Try taking a 1500 mile road trip and you will understand FSD exists. My car drove 85% of the way by itself.
There are multiple manufacturers who have effective "highway tier" automated driving now. It's one of the only things which might make me consider getting a new car any time soon as my current ride is perfect aside from missing that and will be paid off if/when I decide I don't want to be diverting my spare cash into investments.

Oil price hire enough that american shale starting to uncork I think.

This tracks with what I've been hearing from my relatives who do Oilfield work when it's lucrative enough and construction the rest of the time.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
There are multiple manufacturers who have effective "highway tier" automated driving now. It's one of the only things which might make me consider getting a new car any time soon as my current ride is perfect aside from missing that and will be paid off if/when I decide I don't want to be diverting my spare cash into investments.

This tracks with what I've been hearing from my relatives who do Oilfield work when it's lucrative enough and construction the rest of the time.
I can't speak to non-Tesla cars, but what friends call "self driving" is basically adaptive cruise control. I don't know of another manufacturer who have cars that will change lanes on their own or read signs and slow down because your exit is coming up. They might have that level of FSD but I am not familiar with it.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
CCL taking a dump. They just announced another share offering. This has always been the risk in the cruise lines. The ships cost a fortune to maintain and a ton of them are idled. Raising money is always the risk until they get a clearer reopening, further dilluting current share holders.

(I've got no position)

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
SPY has still yet to clear the 200D. Can't be going long right into resistance here. Patience is key right now.

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Remember when everyone left MSFT for dead last week and then sold off after those stellar earnings?

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I am green on 3 of my 4 tranches of FTEC I added as it was flirting with the 200-DMA

1643649228822.png

• 2To the Moon!
Reactions: 1 users