Investing General Discussion

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
FTEC buy filled at $97.50

I want to clarify something some asked me about. So on one hand I am overweight AAPL and MSFT and on the other hand I continue to add to FTEC (whose two largest holdings are AAPL and MSFT). This tends to (ok, not tends to; it does) violate my portfolio weights. This is a valid point.
My reasoning is a> AAPL and MSFT are the two strongest companies on the globe,
b> I switched from QQQ to FTEC to avoid Comm Sector stocks like GOOGL/TWTR/FB even though it has a much higher weighting of AAPL/MSFT and have since decided to carry positions in the two strongest Comm stocks (GOOGL and FB),
c> In the current environment, I think adding to indexes is the best investment overall,
d> I purchased GOOGL and FB knowing i didnt own an ETF that carried them so adding something like QQQ now would muck with my weights for them.

So while I can still get burned with two companies holding larger than ideal positions I made the decision to do it because of who they are and the acceptable risk level. I also acknowledge that at some point down the road when the market recovers I will have to trim some individual shares of AAPL and MSFT.

The biggest regret I have swapping from QQQ to FTEC is that i cant sell covered calls in FTEC because the options market for the ETF is very low liquidity.

Edit: Adding my current portfolio weights. Those colored in blue are holdings of FTEC and it is calculated in.

1652384167427.png

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Aorin

Molten Core Raider
Swapped all my buys of VTI from 2021 and this year for VOO...yay for some more years of 3k loss carryovers. I am buy and hold on indexes and continually buying so I rarely have huge amounts like this to tax loss harvest. Flipped from FTEC to QQQ as well.

• 1Thoughts & Prayers
Reactions: 1 user

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Swapped all my buys of VTI from 2021 and this year for VOO...yay for some more years of 3k loss carryovers. I am buy and hold on indexes and continually buying so I rarely have huge amounts like this to tax loss harvest. Flipped from FTEC to QQQ as well.
Moving away from the small and mid caps?

Zog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Just as the institutions gave up and sold to buy overvalued-value stocks, they come rushing back.

Il_Duce Lightning Lord Rule

Lightning Fast
<Charitable Administrator>
ETH still in freefall, yikes. If that's a precursor of what the NASDAQ is doing rather than a trailing indicator, it means more red tomorrow.

ORRRR QQQ starts its way back up and ETH follows, as it has many times before. Who knows?

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
ETH still in freefall, yikes. If that's a precursor of what the NASDAQ is doing rather than a trailing indicator, it means more red tomorrow.

ORRRR QQQ starts its way back up and ETH follows, as it has many times before. Who knows?

Crypto drop was a precursor of the overall Market drop at the beginning of this recent downturn. Crypto started dropping the night before. Of course that doesn't mean the same thing is going to happen again

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users