Investing General Discussion

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
It seems to me this is the first FOMC decision in the last year that has any real uncertainty to it.

I am not talking about the market predictions - as I recall, the recent ECB 0.5 decision had zero support until it happened. I just mean, what people are predicting and writing about on the internet. Its all over the friggin place, from +0.75 to -0.5. No matter what happens, a bunch of people are gonna get surprised.

For the record I have no fuckin clue either where theyre going or how the market will react
Its because they are in an absolutely fucked position with no good answer. Don't raise and inflation strengthens. Raise and all those small regional banks (and actually any bank who hasnt properly hedged against interest rate hikes) gets torched. The EU raised. I think Janet raises as well and lets the gubmint and big banks deal with the greater bank issue. We can get beyond another 5 or 10 small banks failing. Inflation running back up to 8-10% destroys every aspect of the economy.

• 7Like
Reactions: 6 users

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
Theres a solution, repeal anti business legislation and do away with useless anti business government agencies. They of course will never do that.

There's a better solution...stop printing goddamn money and start taking the government to task about cutting spending.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
1679404691997.png

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
There's a better solution...stop printing goddamn money and start taking the government to task about cutting spending.
As a federal employee, I am no longer able to decipher your alien speech patterns.

35f5ae0afbf89aff764791da63e82e3a135e90580a34087e9b12dba6f2b7798b_1.jpg

• 3Like
  • 1Worf

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Big depositors probably should have taken a haircut on the SVB collapse, but now magically they wont because it was systemically important. Why wasn't it the day before? Who knows [probably pelosi]! Small banks? You'll be fucked if you put a lot of money in them... I'm sure that's great for small banks right now. Don't worry, your deposits are safe and there's no reason to worry! We'll just guarantee 100B in emergency loans just in case something comes up.
You might want to research what you're talking about. There have been 73 bank failures in the past 10 years in the US, all of them less systemically important than SVB (which is why you never heard about them) and in all but 1 case, everyone got all of their money and in the final case, got most of their money.

The regulations that were put in place are good, making sure that banks have the assets so that if everything must be sold at a loss in a hurry, there will be money to cover the deposits. The taxpayer is not on the hook, outside of the actual cost of operating the relevant agencies.

• 1EyeRoll
Reactions: 1 user

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Ladies and Gentlemen, your next macro news bomb: (The Last of Us: real life version)

09:34(US) CDC publishes research leading to classifying Candida auris an "urgent threat"

The CDC has called Candida auris an "urgent threat" because it is often multidrug-resistant, easily spreads through health care facilities and can cause deadly disease. It is also resistant to some common disinfectants and can be carried on people's skin without causing symptoms, facilitating its spread to others.
Clinical cases of Candida auris, an emerging fungus considered an urgent threat, nearly doubled in 2021, according to new data from the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Ladies and Gentlemen, your next macro news bomb: (The Last of Us: real life version)

09:34(US) CDC publishes research leading to classifying Candida auris an "urgent threat"

The CDC has called Candida auris an "urgent threat" because it is often multidrug-resistant, easily spreads through health care facilities and can cause deadly disease. It is also resistant to some common disinfectants and can be carried on people's skin without causing symptoms, facilitating its spread to others.
Clinical cases of Candida auris, an emerging fungus considered an urgent threat, nearly doubled in 2021, according to new data from the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
And its a "health" threat which of course allows the various executive branches extraordinary powers outside the various Constitutions. What a coincidence.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
09:56 PTON Moves up on bullish comments from Jim Cramer - CNBC -

I guess this means Peloton is about to go banrupt.

• 4Like

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
10:00*(US) FEB EXISTING HOME SALES: 4.58M V 4.20ME; Y/Y median price turned negative for first time in 131 months

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Closed out my C puts for the second time. I doubt I will go back to that well a 3rd time, but that was back to back 75% profits on basically zero risk.

I sold half of my FTEC position at 109.45 (i actually hit the top for a change).

1679409702156.png

This is not an indictment of the market or a bear move, it is simply as Blazin Blazin says "trading whats in front of you". I, at this point, am too heavy in AAPL and MSFT and want to shift my core holding from FTEC to SPY which will in effect lower my holding percentages for AAPL and MSFT. The idea is to move these FTEC funds over to SPY and hopefully make a little extra on arbitrage between FTEC and SPY. The chart says this is the time to sell FTEC.

FTEC has overhead resistance at $109.94 which it has bounced failed to conquer a couple of times so I pulled the trigger $109.45 and if the FED doesn't raise and FTEC screams up I can sell the other half for extra profit while looking at a $115 exit for the other half. If they raise and market tanks, I hold my half of FTEC and move the now free cash into SPY at a discount.

1679410004199.png

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
The convergence of the 50, 100 and 200 DMAs on SPY is nearly complete. God damned this thing is gonna jump one way or the other at some point soon.

• 1Like

Il_Duce Lightning Lord Rule

Lightning Fast
<Charitable Administrator>
Looking at charts between QQQ and SPY, it's interesting that it looks like (to my noobish eyes) that they've kinda diverged to opposite sides of the channel.

-QQQ is towards the top of the channel, almost right at resistance.

-SPY (before today at least) was more towards the bottom of the channel and closer to support.

Is this because SPY is lagging the QQQ, or is it because people are seeing weakness in SPY companies and putting their cash into tech? With the underlying assumption that tech stocks are what people put money into in a more 'risk on' environment, does that mean people see the near future as bullish? It seems a bit odd of that is indeed the read from the overall market given the huge unknowns in the banking sector and whether the fed will continue to raise rates. The increase in QE (fed balance sheet) recently seems to indicate that they may not keep increasing rates, but no one knows it seems.

Personally, I have sold my TQQQ interest at a small gain. It may end up being the wrong move, but I'm eyeing using the opportunity to by into SPY for the short term because it looks like it might have more growth potential if the overall market goes up. Specifically back up to the recent high of ~415 or so.

I read sooo many analysts talking about doom and gloom, and it seems like it's more than the usual ZH 'picked 10 of the last 3 crashes' types. But that's probably just 'feels' on my part and not particularly valid.

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Looking at charts between QQQ and SPY, it's interesting that it looks like (to my noobish eyes) that they've kinda diverged to opposite sides of the channel.

-QQQ is towards the top of the channel, almost right at resistance.

-SPY (before today at least) was more towards the bottom of the channel and closer to support.

Is this because SPY is lagging the QQQ, or is it because people are seeing weakness in SPY companies and putting their cash into tech? With the underlying assumption that tech stocks are what people put money into in a more 'risk on' environment, does that mean people see the near future as bullish? It seems a bit odd of that is indeed the read from the overall market given the huge unknowns in the banking sector and whether the fed will continue to raise rates. The increase in QE (fed balance sheet) recently seems to indicate that they may not keep increasing rates, but no one knows it seems.

Personally, I have sold my TQQQ interest at a small gain. It may end up being the wrong move, but I'm eyeing using the opportunity to by into SPY for the short term because it looks like it might have more growth potential if the overall market goes up. Specifically back up to the recent high of ~415 or so.

I read sooo many analysts talking about doom and gloom, and it seems like it's more than the usual ZH 'picked 10 of the last 3 crashes' types. But that's probably just 'feels' on my part and not particularly valid.
There are multiple reasons. One big reason is the basket of holdings. as AAPL and MSFT have begun recovery, their much heavier weight has helped propel QQQ.

1679419122037.png

SPY

1679419168031.png

When comparing the various ETFs, make sure to really examine the baskets of holdings and their weights.

• 1Like