Investing General Discussion

Palum

what Suineg set it to
ryan reynolds hd GIF

Their demands are ludicrous. Surely this only helps Tesla etc.?

I suddenly want to work in the auto industry

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Break

Silver Baronet of the Realm
F and GM both green on the UAW strike news.

Just a guess, but they've had high inventories due to slow sales from high interest rates and as the gubmint devaluing the dollar.

Short term, their sales will definitely spike as people suddenly realize they better grab a new car while they can even if they have to cut spending or go deeper in cc debt because they might all be gone soon.

If they resolve the strike quickly it might even end up in their favor if they sell a lot of inventory and condition consumers to just go into debt more and then the whole auto industry might profit.

Or I have no clue, tbh

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Just a guess, but they've had high inventories due to slow sales from high interest rates and as the gubmint devaluing the dollar.

Short term, their sales will definitely spike as people suddenly realize they better grab a new car while they can even if they have to cut spending or go deeper in cc debt because they might all be gone soon.

If they resolve the strike quickly it might even end up in their favor if they sell a lot of inventory and condition consumers to just go into debt more and then the whole auto industry might profit.

Or I have no clue, tbh
With an industry thats already learned that it can make record profits by just shutting down for a while, I cant really see how the UAW union thinks they have enough bargaining power to demand these things? Im thinking a well organized shut down with a stockpile of materials would just allow them time to hire new employees, train them, and when the pipeline is in full swing again - enjoy even greater profits. Not only from auto sales going back to a state of high demand, low supply, as the drop in supply couldnt be made up by competitors in a timely manner as it is. But also, a new group of employees that arent near as well off as the current ones. People will drop everything and travel across the country to get those jobs in this economy. Will not matter if theyre in the US, Mexico or Canada.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
With an industry thats already learned that it can make record profits by just shutting down for a while, I cant really see how the UAW union thinks they have enough bargaining power to demand these things? Im thinking a well organized shut down with a stockpile of materials would just allow them time to hire new employees, train them, and when the pipeline is in full swing again - enjoy even greater profits. Not only from auto sales going back to a state of high demand, low supply, as the drop in supply couldnt be made up by competitors in a timely manner as it is. But also, a new group of employees that arent near as well off as the current ones. People will drop everything and travel across the country to get those jobs in this economy. Will not matter if theyre in the US, Mexico or Canada.

Don’t underestimate the desire of globohomo to bankrupt America and move everything overseas.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Don’t underestimate the desire of globohomo to bankrupt America and move everything overseas.
That's just private equity actually. And they've been doing it for over 30 years. And they're mostly super conservative.

• 1Potato

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Auto industry is in definite threat of being priced out of the market by China. Don't think I ever saw a Chinese car on the road until 5 years ago and now they're everywhere. EU has already been making protectionist noises over it.

Fucker

Log Wizard
A lengthy strike will give GM and Ford all the reasons they need to expand Chinese production of vehicles for the US market. GM already has a partnership with SAIC, and Ford with Changan. Further, these partnerships have been building global platforms for a while now, so it is no effort at all to replace all the US made GM and Ford vehicles with platforms already in production.

For large SUV and truck production, GM and Ford can simply expand their operations in Canada and Mexico, and eventually just Mexico while curtailing production in the US.

UAW is playing chicken, and they are going to lose. US is now a distant player in the global car market, and its workers have never had less value to the well being of the company.

I'm normally ambivalent towards UAW, but their demands this go around are simply laughable. 40% raise over 4 years, 32 hour work weeks...the list goes on. UAW had 1.5 million members in the 80's to what, 300k now? This strike will hasten the outsourcing of entire vehicles to other countries and lead to more plant closures and other peripheral closures.

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
A lengthy strike will give GM and Ford all the reasons they need to expand Chinese production of vehicles for the US market. GM already has a partnership with SAIC, and Ford with Changan. Further, these partnerships have been building global platforms for a while now, so it is no effort at all to replace all the US made GM and Ford vehicles with platforms already in production.

For large SUV and truck production, GM and Ford can simply expand their operations in Canada and Mexico, and eventually just Mexico while curtailing production in the US.

UAW is playing chicken, and they are going to lose. US is now a distant player in the global car market, and its workers have never had less value to the well being of the company.

I'm normally ambivalent towards UAW, but their demands this go around are simply laughable. 40% raise over 4 years, 32 hour work weeks...the list goes on. UAW had 1.5 million members in the 80's to what, 300k now? This strike will hasten the outsourcing of entire vehicles to other countries and lead to more plant closures and other peripheral closures.
Biden/Obama administration will step in and force GM/Ford to accept.

• 1Edgelord
  • 1Rustled
Reactions: 1 users

Scoresby

Trakanon Raider
Biden/Obama administration will step in and force GM/Ford to accept.

I agree, it's likely much of the labor content will go to lower cost countries. The other issue that arises is that even if a percentage of the vehicle remains in the US, the higher labor cost will make automation more lucrative. It's a suicidal strategy on the UAWs part.

• 1Like

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
As someone who works with cargo, and has dealt with a depressing increase in car parts going to detroit through my airport that started 2 years ago and hasn't gone down, good. I hope it burns to the ground. They pack their cargo all gay and it tends to break things more than other stuff, and I hate filling out reports to fix things. Their supply lines are definitely still a total mess.

• 1Like

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
That's just private equity actually. And they've been doing it for over 30 years. And they're mostly super conservative.

You mean super Republican? These things are not the same.

• 1Seriously?
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 users

Haus

<Silver Donator>
  • 3Worf
  • 1Like
  • 1Double Worf
Reactions: 4 users