Investing General Discussion

Burnem Wizfyre

Log Wizard
Why are you keeping that much cash in the house? I could understand a little for emergency use or stacking silver/gold if you don't trust the banks, but wads of cash do nothing but lose value and are a theft/fire risk. Not up to date on what the US savings account rate is but assuming 4% you're missing out on $1600 interest per year.

For me, wealth isn't really about what you own, it's being financially independent. How long can you maintain your current lifestyle if you stop working? Weeks, months, years, decades?
All the banks that crashed early in the year made me paranoid, now I’m paranoid about depositing it. I’ve been taking the money and throwing it on my mortgage 1k every two weeks.

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
All the banks that crashed early in the year made me paranoid, now I’m paranoid about depositing it. I’ve been taking the money and throwing it on my mortgage 1k every two weeks.
Another option for cash (assuming you have investment accounts) is to park it in the cash holding position of the account and it can draw solid interest since its a money market account.

• 2Truth!
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
I’m curious what y’all think where I’m at. I own 2 vehicles, zero payments both 2019 a Ram 1500 Warlock and a 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee. I have zero credit card debt, my mortgage is $1627. I have zero debt other than my mortgage which was 200k for a 3 bed room 2 bath 1600 sq foot house. My only expenses are utilities, insurance, quick quack subscription to wash our vehicles, gym membership. Wife is stay at home mom that does nothing but raise our kid, keep our house clean and sucks my dick like it holds the answers to all of life’s mysteries. I have maxed out 401k contributions, Roth, little over 30k in the bank and just under 40k in cash in my gun safe. It’s been 14 months into my mortgage and I owe 160k of the 200k. I’d have more but I recently went on vacation for a week to Montana and have wrapped up my Christmas shopping which ate up an entire check preventing me from saving. I can literally get by one just half my checks. I vacation 3-4 times a year.

Below are pics of my ADP YTD, checking account balance, credit score showing 0% usage (doesn’t show I have 30k in available credit via credit cards) cash I laid out on my bed that I took out of my gun safe, pic of my house, couple of pics of my truck.

Flame me, call me a faggot, but am I poor, middle class, rich.
Look at your assets. You’re sitting on newish vehicles that will depreciate to nothing. You have 40k cash that’s getting eaten alive by inflation when bare minimum you could have it in SPAXX. By no means am i an expert as many other in this thread but I’d consider putting that cash in something like SPAXX and downgrading your vehicles if it makes sense.
@folger we need your expert opinion stat.

IMG_4507.gif

I'd reconsider posting this much info, I found your house on google maps already. Red ford explorer and the truck in the driveway. Guy across the street has a light blue compact and a white suv.
I told him this like a year or two ago when he was bragging about his ram posting pics of his neighborhood with business names in background. I really meant it as in “hey bro I’m trying to look out for you” but he didn’t listen.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
I told him this like a year or two ago when he was bragging about his ram posting pics of his neighborhood with business names in background. I really meant it as in “hey bro I’m trying to look out for you” but he didn’t listen. I do hope he does and
Or he can go the other spectrum, be a total chad and just use his face as his avatar like Mr. Sox. Pantheon thread is one of the funniest ones on this forum, I'm shocked there's people who don't follow it.

• 1Mother of God
Reactions: 1 user

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Or he can go the other spectrum, be a total chad and just use his face as his avatar like Mr. Sox. Pantheon thread is one of the funniest ones on this forum, I'm shocked there's people who don't follow it.
Last time I did that Lightning Lord Rule Lightning Lord Rule discriminated against me due to my skin color…

Ok gonna show myself out of this thread for now before I get myself in trouble.. 😂

• 1Pants on Fire!

Zog

Blackwing Lair Raider
😂
Crime 🕯️ they call it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231128-104150.png
    Screenshot_20231128-104150.png
    143.5 KB · Views: 41

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Charlie Munger just died, amongst the Berkshire dynamic duo was definitely my favorite.

• 5Like
  • 1Tendies
  • 1Diamond Hands
Reactions: 8 users

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
With one month to go these are the contestants with a guess within the range of the market being up or down 3% in December (moves larger than this is are rare)

ShakyJake 4750
Blazin 4600
Ravishing 4578
Current SPX 4555
Captain Suave 4551
Fogel 4450
karma 4432
Big Phoenix 4400

My base case is we have a small pullback in early Dec but less than 3% then another run into year end. The market does seem like its coiling for another leg. IWM is prepping for a move over it's 200d

• 1Like
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 1 users

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
With one month to go these are the contestants with a guess within the range of the market being up or down 3% in December (moves larger than this is are rare)

ShakyJake 4750
Blazin 4600
Ravishing 4578
Current SPX 4555
Captain Suave 4551
Fogel 4450
karma 4432
Big Phoenix 4400

My base case is we have a small pullback in early Dec but less than 3% then another run into year end. The market does seem like its coiling for another leg. IWM is prepping for a move over it's 200d

I typoed my entry, but maybe it will work out! I meant to submit 4451.

• 1Worf

Il_Duce Lightning Lord Rule

Lightning Fast
<Charitable Administrator>

ShakyJake 4750
Blazin 4600
Ravishing 4578
Current SPX 4555
Captain Suave 4551
Fogel 4450
karma 4432
Big Phoenix 4400

My TLT is finally green today, barely. I think it might get to 96 in the near term. Whether it gets through that resistance though.... ehhhhh

Blazin is going to be INSUFFERABLE for the next year if he wins this contest. Or at least I hope he is :p

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>

ShakyJake 4750
Blazin 4600
Ravishing 4578
Current SPX 4555
Captain Suave 4551
Fogel 4450
karma 4432
Big Phoenix 4400

I hope you are right. This was my thought when I wrote those calls on SPLG with Dec expiry. Just enough of a pullback to let me close out for pennies before a move higher to end the year.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Hey I think I'm crushing new highs again. Kinda took this year off from even looking at my investments, and had my lowest into my 401k for like 7-8 years. Decided to spend all that money on me doing what I wanted this year instead. I'm still way ahead on my plans to retire early, so why not knock some shit off the bucket list now instead of later.

Regret nothing.

Kithani

Blackwing Lair Raider
Hey I think I'm crushing new highs again. Kinda took this year off from even looking at my investments, and had my lowest into my 401k for like 7-8 years. Decided to spend all that money on me doing what I wanted this year instead. I'm still way ahead on my plans to retire early, so why not knock some shit off the bucket list now instead of later.

Regret nothing.
Well... what did you do?

bored waiting GIF

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
QQ. I’m going to put aside a % of my monthly paycheck I would normally have my advisor invest and invest that in FXAIX long term to hold. I receive my paycheck once a month at the end of the month into my advisor managed account. My own investing I will do in my personal brokerage account. I currently manually do the transfer from advisor to brokerage. I just did one. Should I go ahead and invest the full sum of the transfer or set it to recur weekly? Say at the end of the month I transfer 4k to my brokerage account, should I invest it all right then or set up fidelity to auto invest 1k a week? For long term holding isn’t time in market best, I.e. just invest it all immediately? Would there be any benefit to the latter?

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
QQ. I’m going to put aside a % of my monthly paycheck I would normally have my advisor invest and invest that in FXAIX long term to hold. I receive my paycheck once a month at the end of the month into my advisor managed account. My own investing I will do in my personal brokerage account. I currently manually do the transfer from advisor to brokerage. I just did one. Should I go ahead and invest the full sum of the transfer or set it to recur weekly? Say at the end of the month I transfer 4k to my brokerage account, should I invest it all right then or set up fidelity to auto invest 1k a week? For long term holding isn’t time in market best, I.e. just invest it all immediately? Would there be any benefit to the latter?
Ok, Im gonna go out on a limb and assume this isnt a larp and spend a minute typing this.

When you say paycheck, is it from a company or family? If you are working the family business, you can opt to instead of being a w-2 employee and instead form your own company and let them pay you as a 1099 NEC. You then get to expense off various aspects of your business. Additionally, it will allow you to enroll in a SEP. You can then stack the tax savings for maxing out IRA contributions with SEP contributions. This will also save the family business money since they wont be paying payroll taxes on your salary. Its a win/win.

If you work for a company and get a w-2, please make sure you are maxing out the annual 401k contribution as your first priority saving vehicle. If you get a w-2 from a company and also get a w-2 from the family business this is the best of all possible scenarios. Max out 401k from the company and then have the family pay you as a 1099 and you then max IRA and SEP.

• 3Like
  • 1Galaxy Brain
Reactions: 3 users