Investing General Discussion

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Ok, Im gonna go out on a limb and assume this isnt a larp and spend a minute typing this.

When you say paycheck, is it from a company or family? If you are working the family business, you can opt to instead of being a w-2 employee and instead form your own company and let them pay you as a 1099 NEC. You then get to expense off various aspects of your business. Additionally, it will allow you to enroll in a SEP. You can then stack the tax savings for maxing out IRA contributions with SEP contributions. This will also save the family business money since they wont be paying payroll taxes on your salary. Its a win/win.

If you work for a company and get a w-2, please make sure you are maxing out the annual 401k contribution as your first priority saving vehicle. If you get a w-2 from a company and also get a w-2 from the family business this is the best of all possible scenarios. Max out 401k from the company and then have the family pay you as a 1099 and you then max IRA and SEP.
From the company I work for. Yes I’m maxing out my 401k. No I’m not involved in any family business.

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
From the company I work for. Yes I’m maxing out my 401k. No I’m not involved in any family business.
Then as a simple w-2 employee without any type of side business maxing 401k is #1. Max Roth contribution #2 (since there is no tax benefit for a traditional IRA due to the 401k). #3 is throw the rest of your spare cash into a brokerage account invested in the S&P.

Caveat: If you are on a high deductible health plan and thus have access to an HSA then insert this as #1A which is to max out the HSA contribution.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>

The media literally can't just admit that the economy is actually pretty good (aside from housing.) It's insane. MUST PROMOTE FEAR.

• 1EyeRoll
Reactions: 1 user

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Then as a simple w-2 employee without any type of side business maxing 401k is #1. Max Roth contribution #2 (since there is no tax benefit for a traditional IRA due to the 401k). #3 is throw the rest of your spare cash into a brokerage account invested in the S&P.

Caveat: If you are on a high deductible health plan and thus have access to an HSA then insert this as #1A which is to max out the HSA contribution.
I don’t have a Roth IRA. I’ve always just thrown it into my own investments (via advisor). It sounds like I should look into this. thanks

Last edited:
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 1 user

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I don’t have a Roth IRA. I’ve always just thrown it into my own investments (via advisor). It sounds like I should look into this. thanks
"depending on your actual income" The Roth is a must have. All proceeds put in grow and come out in retirement tax free. if you adjusted AGI is >$153,000 as single then you cannot contribute. This may be why your advisor has not mentioned it to you.

1701285600908.png

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
"depending on your actual income" The Roth is a must have. All proceeds put in grow and come out in retirement tax free. if you adjusted AGI is >$153,000 as single then you cannot contribute. This may be why your advisor has not mentioned it to you.

View attachment 502342
*Remember that AGI is after your 401k and other contributions, so if you're contributing the max to 401k, HSA, etc. then you can still qualify

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>

View attachment 502342
Well I guess that’s why I don’t have one. Thanks.

swayze22

Elite
<Bronze Donator>

The media literally can't just admit that the economy is actually pretty good (aside from housing.) It's insane. MUST PROMOTE FEAR.
you truly are a perplexing individual

yeah like there is no inflation if you take out food energy housing...

Tide27

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Holding through earnings is straight up gambling. There are times that stocks double beat and the stock plummets, there are times they double miss and stock shoots through the roof...and every variation in between.

• 1Like
  • 1Thoughts & Prayers

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
I am now the holder of FXAIX. First stonk I’ve bought myself. This follows now keeping all my emergency funds in SPAXX instead of cash thanks to earlier advice in thread. A special thank you to Blazin Blazin and Sanrith Descartes Sanrith Descartes . I will make sure to check in every 1.5 years to give you guys all the exciting news and happenings in my index fund!

Last edited:
  • 2Like

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Holding through earnings is straight up gambling. There are times that stocks double beat and the stock plummets, there are times they double miss and stock shoots through the roof...and every variation in between.
CRM ripping faces. Its not just about earnings and revenue beats. These days its really about the forward guidance. A double beat but guiding lower is a solid 10% down day.

edit: trimmed my position by 25% and took the profits on that lot.

Last edited:
  • 2Tendies