Investing General Discussion

Zog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Took me almost 2 years of trading to at least have a grasp on everything that can factor into a trade and also not have my emotions fuck everything up.

There is so much to consider, I would say infinitely more with an intraday trade. Years of holding can be undone in 30 seconds with improper risk management and a fundamental misunderstanding of "why" a stock is doing something.

Not understanding options is probably the main reason I made bad trades in the beginning.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Unless I'm mistaken, we just broke through for a new YTD high.

Still a ways to go for that December 2021 number, but we're getting there!

• 1Like
  • 1To the Moon!

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Took me almost 2 years of trading to at least have a grasp on everything that can factor into a trade and also not have my emotions fuck everything up.

There is so much to consider, I would say infinitely more with an intraday trade. Years of holding can be undone in 30 seconds with improper risk management and a fundamental misunderstanding of "why" a stock is doing something.

Not understanding options is probably the main reason I made bad trades in the beginning.
If you go search you will find my story of my first options trade involving BA when the 'rona news was just beginning. I was a babe in the woods in the options world and it was oogly. Selling covered calls on XOM stock when I was upside down by about 30% on those shares was a close second.

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
just checking in after another $3/share
Screenshot 2023-10-28 131649.png

• 1Worf
  • 1Diamond Hands
  • 1To the Moon!
Reactions: 2 users

Zog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Oh well... Probably a lot more upside to come but I'm on unsettled funds until middle of next week and no way am I buying in after that kind of move, happy with my 5% this week.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231201-125344.png
    Screenshot_20231201-125344.png
    138.5 KB · Views: 15
  • 1Tendies
Reactions: 1 user

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Whenever I make this much in a day it becomes very tempting to just take it, its hard because today is likely just day 1 of what could be a sizable move.

What's got me distracted now is I swear a six engine jet just went over my house...we don't operate a six engine jet that I'm aware of. It all happened rather fast, 2 large cargo jets at low altitude immediately jumped on flightaware and they aren't on there. One of them looked like a C-17 I have never seen a C-5 in person but I swear there was three tanks to a side not 2 on the larger plane.

• 2Mother of God
  • 1Like
  • 1Jonesing
Reactions: 4 users

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Whenever I make this much in a day it becomes very tempting to just take it, its hard because today is likely just day 1 of what could be a sizable move.

What's got me distracted now is I swear a six engine jet just went over my house...we don't operate a six engine jet that I'm aware of. It all happened rather fast, 2 large cargo jets at low altitude immediately jumped on flightaware and they aren't on there. One of them looked like a C-17 I have never seen a C-5 in person but I swear there was three tanks to a side not 2 on the larger plane.
For those huge 1 day moves, it never hurts to take some of it off the table. Never has to be an all or nothing in / out trade.

Nice work. I nearly wrote a reply to you yesterday commenting how nicely IWM was consolidating on the daily chart, but figured you were aware and deleted.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Had to sell a bunch of stonks back in July cuz divorce and I'm now back up to those levels again O_O

I'm still missing the $40k of cash I had saved up, but it's nice to see the stonks bucket fill back up.

• 3Like
  • 1Diamond Hands
Reactions: 3 users

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Other than diversifying your assets and having a potentially fixed revenue stream, is there any benefit to investing in residential real estate to rent over putting it in stonks when you can at least earn 8% annual return? From my understanding housing prices increase on average around 4%.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Other than diversifying your assets and having a potentially fixed revenue stream, is there any benefit to investing in residential real estate to rent over putting it in stonks when you can at least earn 8% annual return? From my understanding housing prices increase on average around 4%.
Residential can be a crapshoot. The margins tend to be tight enough that getting a bad tenant can fuck you hard. Depending on the state residential is suicide where renters have more rights than landlords. And then there are the interest rates.

CRE is usually the better play, but that was all pre-covid. That world has changed.

• 2Like

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Residential can be a crapshoot. The margins tend to be tight enough that getting a bad tenant can fuck you hard. Depending on the state residential is suicide where renters have more rights than landlords. And then there are the interest rates.

CRE is usually the better play, but that was all pre-covid. That world has changed.
Yeah that’s what I figured. Seems like the juice isn’t worth the squeeze. FXAIX it is. Looking for QQQ or QQQM to take a dip to buy in a small percentage of my self managed portfolio, to hodl.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Yeah that’s what I figured. Seems like the juice isn’t worth the squeeze. FXAIX it is. Looking for QQQ or QQQM to take a dip to buy in a small percentage of my self managed portfolio, to hodl.
I do like the concept of buying undeveloped land though. It's an ultra long HODL but it's relatively cheap and the carry cost is pretty minimal if you aren't in a high tax county. It's really a generational investment to pass on to kids.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Il_Duce Lightning Lord Rule

Lightning Fast
<Charitable Administrator>
Commercial real estate in the form of office space is a liability. HOWEVER! Commercial spaces that are better for other things can be good. Industrial zoned real estate is generally a better bet these days IMO. Also, look around for mini-storage property. For whatever reason, people need a place to store their random crap, and the cost of upkeep and construction for these building types is relatively minimal. You need fencing and some form of security, but that's pretty much it. Another one along those lines is RV parking facilities. You can get by with covered parking (carports, but for RV's) and you just need a good bit of space, paving, and fencing/security. Huge returns relative to what it costs to build.

Caveats are that even industrial/warehouse space needs tenants, same with RV parking. So if the economy does take a massive dump as many are predicting, you can likely get some turnover in your tenants and finding new ones may be a challenge. Vacancies will kill you if you're doing all this stuff via bank loans.

• 2Like

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Also, look around for mini-storage property. For whatever reason, people need a place to store their random crap, and the cost of upkeep and construction for these building types is relatively minimal. You need fencing and some form of security, but that's pretty much it.

I remember reading a while back that self storage is the highest revenue per area in real estate. Prices are fucking bananas. Near me it's over $450/mo for anything big enough to park a car in.

• 2Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 2 users

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I remember reading a while back that self storage is the highest revenue per area in real estate. Prices are fucking bananas. Near me it's over $450/mo for anything big enough to park a car in.
There's a place near me that has one of those blimp buildings and just does seasonal stuff. So RVs, ATVs, convertibles, etc. for the winter. They then do snow mobiles and whatever during the summer.

So they are only there like 3 months of the year during rotation time, do big clean up of the facility and wash everything for the customers. They charge insane money. Otherwise just pay for security, and charge appointment rates for special pickups and per diems. It's like $750/mo for a parking space but they sell it "per year".