Investing General Discussion

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Correct. I was just using an example.
View attachment 504229

This data feeds over to the sector tracking section to watch my sector weights and also a section for invested dollars showing the weighting of each instrument in a standalone chart for ease of view that is filtered.

View attachment 504231
Excel and Sheets can pull stick data directly in using built-in functionality. I’m not sure about sheets, but excel will get historical as well as most recent. Both of them have ways to running/integrate legit programming (python, JS, ???) as well if you want to get real fancy.

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
So once you built the formulas into the cells of Excel, they will continue to run untouched. For example, once you build in a cell that AAPL is 5% of SPY and then you tell it to add the value of individual AAPL shares plus 5% of the total of your SPY position, you then tell it to divide this total AAPL value by the total of your portfolio and it spits out the weight of AAPL in your entire portfolio. From then on you just punch in the AAPL share price and the SPY share price and it runs the updated totals every time you make an update.
I get it and I totally appreciate it but as a software engineer I see “you tell it” and I just want to fix having to do that. 🙃

I will give it a try though.

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Excel and Sheets can pull stick data directly in using built-in functionality. I’m not sure about sheets, but excel will get historical as well as most recent. Both of them have ways to running/integrate legit programming (python, JS, ???) as well if you want to get real fancy.
You kids today with your fancy Java and Python. In my day we used pencils, paper and slide rules and we made out just fine.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
1702587656293.jpeg

1702587894796.jpeg

• 3Double Worf
  • 1Truth!
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 4 users

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Google sheets can run JS. I haven’t tinkered with it in years. I’ll take a peaksy and report back

Molten Core Raider
Investment related Jimmy Rustle.

I am trying to consolidate old mutual fund and accounts from Vanguard and TRP from previous jobs to my IRA with Charles slob, and damn do they make this more complicated than it should be lol.

I actually have to print and mail shit to transfer the accounts. What is this 1980? And neither VG or TRP can sell the assets and hold cash, ohno, cant do that, it HAS to be in a mutual fund of some kind. Now I have to go to the damn post office and get stamps. Cant remember the last time I mailed something.

• 1Rustled
  • 1Triggered
Reactions: 1 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I get it and I totally appreciate it but as a software engineer I see “you tell it” and I just want to fix having to do that. 🙃

I will give it a try though.
It's on my TODO list to create an asset tracker excel app. Since the various sites that were into it over the years are just trash.

Having python in there just to do the various API calls will be nice.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Market "Feds going to cut Rates!" goes up +3%
Fed "We are not going to cut rates!"
Market "darn" ... -0.01%

• 4Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 4 users

Haus

<Silver Donator>
Market "Feds going to cut Rates!" goes up +3%
Fed "We are not going to cut rates!"
Market "darn" ... -0.01%
I think essentially the Fed has realized the markets are so deperate for a reason to go up that they know "Oh, we need to goose stocks for a few days/a week? Say no more fam, get MC Powell up there for a vague statement about reducing rates we can mostly retract a few days later without actually changing rates at all!"

Now, following up with the fact that I agree with Sanrith Descartes Sanrith Descartes on the fact that the strangers on the internet here are probably better than a number of the pros overall. I have my current small quandary I'm debating... Within the realm of my investing/assets/retirement world I have around 7-8% of that which is in a brokerage account I manually direct. (The rest is in a 401k, RSU stock from my company, my personal residence, and other real estate) We're not talking about earth shattering money, this is less than 10% of my asset layout. I go with a "if you like something find a low cost ETF that lets you invest in that space" theory because I'm no day trader and just using this as a way to grow some money for what I call "project peaches." Right now it's split pretty evenly between :

$ITOT - base "invest in the market" ETF
$HDV - Your grandmas ETF for some dividend income (which has been really stable through volatility for me)
$SPY - Sofi select ETF so a slightly more focused "invest in the market" angle
$XLK - "Invest in what you know" and I know technology and cybersecurity, so this looked like a good ETF in that space.
$URNM - My "Bet on something" ETF because I firmly believe that in the long run we as a society are going to realize nuclear is the easiest "clean" energy option.

I've had this bundle going around 2.5 years. All are in the green comfortably and I'm around %17 up on my portfolio in that time with a very lazy "set it and mostly forget it" approach. $HDV as you might expect is the laggard in terms of growth (just into the green), but I have harvested a good amount of dividend income off it. Of them @URNM has been my favorite child as in the last 2 years it's up over 30%. Which I consider good for the extremely low tier of effort I put in.

My question has become what to dump more into of that spread, or if I want to add another ETF. Target is really performance over the next year or two. I work in sales and that means lumpy commission income, but we live so comfortably off my base salary that all commissions can go into investments, toys, and "fun".

Mitigating thought is the fact that if I pull the trigger on "Project peaches" I'll probably liquidate a lot of this to cover that. "Project peaches" is the plan to buy land away from town and build the "we're going to live out our days on this land" house for Mrs. Haus Mrs. Haus and I, turning our current house into a rental.

So, strangers on the internet, how much of an idiot am I? And what do you think?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
I think essentially the Fed has realized the markets are so deperate for a reason to go up that they know "Oh, we need to goose stocks for a few days/a week? Say no more fam, get MC Powell up there for a vague statement about reducing rates we can mostly retract a few days later without actually changing rates at all!"

Now, following up with the fact that I agree with Sanrith Descartes Sanrith Descartes on the fact that the strangers on the internet here are probably better than a number of the pros overall. I have my current small quandary I'm debating... Within the realm of my investing/assets/retirement world I have around 7-8% of that which is in a brokerage account I manually direct. (The rest is in a 401k, RSU stock from my company, my personal residence, and other real estate) We're not talking about earth shattering money, this is less than 10% of my asset layout. I go with a "if you like something find a low cost ETF that lets you invest in that space" theory because I'm no day trader and just using this as a way to grow some money for what I call "project peaches." Right now it's split pretty evenly between :

$ITOT - base "invest in the market" ETF
$HDV - Your grandmas ETF for some dividend income (which has been really stable through volatility for me)
$SPY - Sofi select ETF so a slightly more focused "invest in the market" angle
$XLK - "Invest in what you know" and I know technology and cybersecurity, so this looked like a good ETF in that space.
$URNM - My "Bet on something" ETF because I firmly believe that in the long run we as a society are going to realize nuclear is the easiest "clean" energy option.

I've had this bundle going around 2.5 years. All are in the green comfortably and I'm around %17 up on my portfolio in that time with a very lazy "set it and mostly forget it" approach. $HDV as you might expect is the laggard in terms of growth (just into the green), but I have harvested a good amount of dividend income off it. Of them @URNM has been my favorite child as in the last 2 years it's up over 30%. Which I consider good for the extremely low tier of effort I put in.

My question has become what to dump more into of that spread, or if I want to add another ETF. Target is really performance over the next year or two. I work in sales and that means lumpy commission income, but we live so comfortably off my base salary that all commissions can go into investments, toys, and "fun".

Mitigating thought is the fact that if I pull the trigger on "Project peaches" I'll probably liquidate a lot of this to cover that. "Project peaches" is the plan to buy land away from town and build the "we're going to live out our days on this land" house for Mrs. Haus Mrs. Haus and I, turning our current house into a rental.

So, strangers on the internet, how much of an idiot am I? And what do you think?
Family over today so short on time, but your list looks decent but there is a lot of overlap and redundancy in there.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user