Investing General Discussion

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
I
Did an FOH solidarity purchase and bought a quarter position of FBTC at $37.99. I doubt I will add to it unless Blazin convinces me to.

Season 7 Episode 10 GIF by Portlandia

Sanrith so bored 😂

• 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 user

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Pics or it didnt happen.. There is NO WAY you bought at a price that isnt .00 or a multiple of .25.

*note* Mostly kidding!
I know. I almost did $38.00 and it had been bouncing around $38.03 - 07 at the time and I was half hoping it wouldn't break $38 again so I went under a penny.

1705088489530.png

• 1Worf

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
Larry Fink just got outed as a btc maxi lol

Edit: (Actually he may not be a maxi- just very pro blockchain/tokenization).

SS1 - Copy.png

SS2 - Copy.png

This was him in 2017

SS3 - Copy.png

Last edited:
  • 1Worf
  • 1Rustled
Reactions: 1 users

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I'm assuming answer is still time in market and all that and I should do it, but figured I should double check here.

In order to max our 401k's easier, we are sitting on a good chunk of our home sale egg still. I was looking at both of us essentially putting enough of our check monthly to hit the max over the next 1-3 years, and just compensate ourselves that amount off of our savings until we get down to 100 or 50k so we still have a fairly healthy someone died, house collapsed, whatever disaster money. After we spend it down to where I dont have a ton of cash, hopefully some known raises should hit and we are mostly maxing just normally without self aiding it.

I just didn't know if anyone could think of reasons we might not want to start that right now? I don't think there's any longer any good prospect of buying income properties in our bum fuck area and current interest rates even if we tried to put half or more of the value.

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
I'm assuming answer is still time in market and all that and I should do it, but figured I should double check here.

In order to max our 401k's easier, we are sitting on a good chunk of our home sale egg still. I was looking at both of us essentially putting enough of our check monthly to hit the max over the next 1-3 years, and just compensate ourselves that amount off of our savings until we get down to 100 or 50k so we still have a fairly healthy someone died, house collapsed, whatever disaster money. After we spend it down to where I dont have a ton of cash, hopefully some known raises should hit and we are mostly maxing just normally without self aiding it.

I just didn't know if anyone could think of reasons we might not want to start that right now? I don't think there's any longer any good prospect of buying income properties in our bum fuck area and current interest rates even if we tried to put half or more of the value.

I am not sure I understand the question, but if your salary and lifestyle afford it, the general opinion here is….

• Max 401k if it’s an option
  • max Roth or regular IRA depending on what you qualify for
  • then it gets a bit more gray. I personally do a regular brokerage account because my goal is to eventually replace my salary but you have lots of choices

Tide27

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
The system encouraging people to invest their cash in either capital assets to improve their lives or businesses to generate money, or invest it the market, rather than incentive them to hold assets in cash, could arguably be considered a great strength of the system.

If holding cash was the best thing to do with your money, no one would take risks or build anything. Velocity of money is the most important thing for an healthy economy.

So, working as (mostly) intended.
I'm not convinced that the govt isnt doing everything in their power to encourage people to throw all their money in the market, purposely tank it...cause everyone to lose a shit load load of money by panic selling...and /whoopsie...." it was a glitch ".

Politicians and major entities buy up all the shit because they were the ones that can manipulate the market.

There is a reason that the govt peasants outperform even the best hedge funds year after year.

• 1Genius!

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I am not sure I understand the question, but if your salary and lifestyle afford it, the general opinion here is….

• Max 401k if it’s an option
  • max Roth or regular IRA depending on what you qualify for
  • then it gets a bit more gray. I personally do a regular brokerage account because my goal is to eventually replace my salary but you have lots of choices

I think last sentence summed it up well enough. Any reason not to just take a payroll deduction to max the 401k while siphoning off 150k or so left in savings. We are currently earning 5.25 or whatever it was in a SOFI account. So I'm not sure if there's consideration on why not to indirectly transfer most of that into 401k over a couple years other than staying extra liquid when I'm not currently planning any common things like a 2nd property. Such as if my 401k is just in a S*P 500 type portfolio, would I expect to still perform better over a year or two vs riding the current high bank yield until they drop it and then start dumping it into 401k.

We are ~ 50-60k a year each (bit random with my schedule or stuff like this year using 1 month PTO for surgery instead of getting it cashed out at end of year) And I think without using the savings to do it, we'd only comfortably be putting 1k/month combined into 401k. More if she'd let me downsize the farm, i ever decide I've got enough ammo and supplies, etc. But still far cry from maxing what 23k each?

• 1Like

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
We are currently earning 5.25 or whatever it was in a SOFI account... if my 401k is just in a S*P 500 type portfolio, would I expect to still perform better over a year or two vs riding the current high bank yield until they drop it and then start dumping it into 401k.
If the alternatives are 5.25% cash or 24% in the S&P (or even the 8% historical returns), then that math should be pretty easy. Especially if that doesn't take into account that the 401k contributions are pre-tax.

IMO always prioritize maxing tax-advantaged savings. In the past when my income did not allow this I absolutely have taken money from taxable savings to fund the contributions.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
No doubt with the amount of new money in the economy over the last few years a lot of it wound up in the market. Even stuff sent overseas or specific industries eventually filters in to other people/areas. Only so many things to do with it. I still see online people complaining about X company is so evil making record profits. If you aren't making record profits with the amount of money and inflation you are doing something wrong. Assuming of course they mean total dollars. If you work in a job that it's possible to change often or get raises often to stay ahead of it you are much better off. My industry nobody changes jobs at all and contracts can be multi years to finish one job. A number of people get kind of stuck for a while. Not uncommon in the past and really popular now on the big contracts to have options to up the price for materials throughout the contract due to inflation.

Semi related price of oil is going up now after the US and UK strike in the middle east yesterday and saw Iran took control of a US flagged tanker. I'm sure they already planning on releasing some out of the reserves leading up to the election.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Foler Foler

Firefly 3 update. Got this all up and running using an old raspberry pi I had laying around. An old Pi 3 that I bought in 2018. Runs fine but I didn't realize that their data importer is an entirely separate application that is not part of their application and you have to do some bullshit to set it up under the hood of the local server setup. Big gay.

• 1Rustled

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Foler Foler

Firefly 3 update. Got this all up and running using an old raspberry pi I had laying around. An old Pi 3 that I bought in 2018. Runs fine but I didn't realize that their data importer is an entirely separate application that is not part of their application and you have to do some bullshit to set it up under the hood of the local server setup. Big gay.
Totally unrelated but my Excel spreadsheet is still working great after years of daily usage. :trollface:

• 1Double Worf

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm

The Federal Reserve ran an operating loss of $114.3 billion last year, its largest ever, a consequence of its campaign to aggressively support the economy in 2020 and 2021, then jacking up interest rates to combat high inflation.

The central bank paid more to financial institutions on interest-bearing deposits and securities than it earned from securities that it bought when interest rates were lower. That’s a result of it raising its benchmark short-term interest rate to a two-decade high, above 5%, last year.

The losses don’t affect the Fed’s day-to-day operations and won’t require the central bank to ask for an infusion from the Treasury Department. Unlike federal agencies, the Fed doesn’t have to go to Congress hat in hand to cover operating losses. Instead, the Fed created an IOU in 2022 that it calls a “deferred asset.”

• 1Like
  • 1Rustled
Reactions: 1 users

Haus

<Silver Donator>

The Federal Reserve ran an operating loss of $114.3 billion last year, its largest ever, a consequence of its campaign to aggressively support the economy in 2020 and 2021, then jacking up interest rates to combat high inflation.

The central bank paid more to financial institutions on interest-bearing deposits and securities than it earned from securities that it bought when interest rates were lower. That’s a result of it raising its benchmark short-term interest rate to a two-decade high, above 5%, last year.

The losses don’t affect the Fed’s day-to-day operations and won’t require the central bank to ask for an infusion from the Treasury Department. Unlike federal agencies, the Fed doesn’t have to go to Congress hat in hand to cover operating losses. Instead, the Fed created an IOU in 2022 that it calls a “deferred asset.”
I won't believe any number that comes out of them until they agree to an independent audit.....

• 1Like

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>

1705334212304.jpeg

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I won't believe any number that comes out of them until they agree to an independent audit.....
The Fed is the most audited, most transparent financial organization in the world. The "AUDIT THE FED" people have no idea what they're talking about.

Concentrate more on the fact that the DOD has failed their audit 6 years in a row now: