Investing General Discussion

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Am I missing something? We never crossed 5000.

tomorrow for sure

get ready for mega tendies

1707429651870.png

• 1Tendies
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 1 users

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Ok, I have been using M1 for quite a while for a number of investment accounts but I think I'm finally done with them. They apparently now have a restriction on the number of investment accounts per type, they have been "almost ready" to bring out an HYSA product for over a year and their app hasn't changed meaningfully in years and has shitty analytics built in. I don't use it but they gutted their "special" owners (credit) card benefits recently as well so that's just dead weight too? Doesn't fill me with confidence at this point.

Is Fidelity the only answer or are there other suggestions?
Love fidelity. Have my 401k, personal brokerage, CMA, credit card and advisor managed accounts all there. Awesome experience transferring funds between accounts. Their CMA is just a great product itself.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Everyone who keeps telling me “no doubt buy any of the Qs rn !” And I just sit here watching QQQM go up

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Opened Fidelity account. Pretty painless. Let's link my bank account to fund the investment account.

"Sorry we can't match the identity of both account owners, do you want to use an EFT by mailing us a paper form?"

... :rolleyes:

• 1EyeRoll
Reactions: 1 user

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Opened Fidelity account. Pretty painless. Let's link my bank account to fund the investment account.

"Sorry we can't match the identity of both account owners, do you want to use an EFT by mailing us a paper form?"

... :rolleyes:

Why are you doing some weird shit with your own identity? STOP BEING WEIRD.

You're not going to get any commiseration in this thread which is full of people that have no issue whatsoever with Fidelity or Vanguard.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Why are you doing some weird shit with your own identity? STOP BEING WEIRD.

You're not going to get any commiseration in this thread which is full of people that have no issue whatsoever with Fidelity or Vanguard.
I actually checked both accounts and they are identical down to the capitalization. This is just my luck I think.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I don’t understand qqqm it just seems like tqqq with a third of the gains.

Their gains are esentially the same as they track the same stocks. The difference is qqqm has a lower expense ratio at .15 while qqq is .20. The downside to qqqm is it has less liquidity/volume than qqq so not ideal for option traders etc.

Moogalak

<Gold Donor>
I actually checked both accounts and they are identical down to the capitalization. This is just my luck I think.
I had it happen to me with Fidelity, too. I never bothered to make it work and use Vanguard instead. You'll have to find a 3rd party app if you want live stock views on your phone, 'cause the vanguard app is bare bones.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I had it happen to me with Fidelity, too. I never bothered to make it work and use Vanguard instead. You'll have to find a 3rd party app if you want live stock views on your phone, 'cause the vanguard app is bare bones.

Turned out it was because it was from savings account, works on checking. Dumb. Even the Fidelity support people didn't know that. Oh well.

• 1Blown

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
When I opened a Fidelity account I had a small issue. I called support after normal business hours and got a real live person, in the United States that their native language was English and they took care of the problem in just a few minutes and knew of the issue. It's rare nowdays.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
Anyone else doing any oil and gas deals? I got a line on one looking for no more than 25 investors. 6 million cost, company it putting 4.2 million in on their own, looking for each 25 investor to put in approx $72k for it.

Was an existing well, but shut down due to old company being bankrupt. Still oil to be extracted. Is attractive to me because company is putting in their own funds, and they have been around a bit. But any advice on how to take on new oil and gas opportunities would be welcome.

I'm probably skipping this one, because I just dont have the knowledge right now in the industry to be comfortable. But getting into some O&G plays is attractive to me. I love diversification, and I already have stonks/bonds/safe investments/gold/real estate.

So yeah, anyone else into O&G?

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Anyone else doing any oil and gas deals? I got a line on one looking for no more than 25 investors. 6 million cost, company it putting 4.2 million in on their own, looking for each 25 investor to put in approx $72k for it.

Was an existing well, but shut down due to old company being bankrupt. Still oil to be extracted. Is attractive to me because company is putting in their own funds, and they have been around a bit. But any advice on how to take on new oil and gas opportunities would be welcome.

I'm probably skipping this one, because I just dont have the knowledge right now in the industry to be comfortable. But getting into some O&G plays is attractive to me. I love diversification, and I already have stonks/bonds/safe investments/gold/real estate.

It’s heavily regulated and it’s entirely dependent on permitting. Lose your permit and you’re fucked. Don’t have a permit and you’re fucked. Don’t renew your permit and you’re fucked. And the Biden admin is NOT friendly to oil and gas.

Well doesn’t produce? Your fucked. Something breaks? You’re fucked.

It’s a really tough business and I wouldn’t touch it with a 10’ pole unless I lived and breathed it.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
It’s heavily regulated and it’s entirely dependent on permitting. Lose your permit and you’re fucked. Don’t have a permit and you’re fucked. Don’t renew your permit and you’re fucked. And the Biden admin is NOT friendly to oil and gas.

Well doesn’t produce? Your fucked. Something breaks? You’re fucked.

It’s a really tough business and I wouldn’t touch it with a 10’ pole unless I lived and breathed it.

Well here's the thing. Just gonna level a bit, but like.. it's a 73k investment, but 73k for me isn't really much. I mean, yeah, its a lot of money. But in a catostrophic scenario, its not gonna hurt me if it turns to 0. I wanna make money on it, but more than that I want to know more about how this kinda thing works.

My late father used to invest in oil plays like this, and he did allright with them. I kinda wanna learn more, but generally don't know how/where to learn about em. So I did decline this one, but it's something I wanna see about getting more into. I'd like to learn more -- without any bias from someone trying to sell me an investment.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Well here's the thing. Just gonna level a bit, but like.. it's a 73k investment, but 73k for me isn't really much. I mean, yeah, its a lot of money. But in a catostrophic scenario, its not gonna hurt me if it turns to 0. I wanna make money on it, but more than that I want to know more about how this kinda thing works.

My late father used to invest in oil plays like this, and he did allright with them. I kinda wanna learn more, but generally don't know how/where to learn about em. So I did decline this one, but it's something I wanna see about getting more into. I'd like to learn more -- without any bias from someone trying to sell me an investment.

I’ll give you a 1% stake in my business for $75k and it’s infinitely safer than oil.

The only reason I know anything about oil is bc one of my customers is also in oil, so I get the inside scoop as he’s bemoaning it.

I wish I knew how you could get the same kind of info, but I guess befriend some east/west Texas oil people?

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
I’ll give you a 1% stake in my business for $75k and it’s infinitely safer than oil.

The only reason I know anything about oil is bc one of my customers is also in oil, so I get the inside scoop as he’s bemoaning it.

I wish I knew how you could get the same kind of info, but I guess befriend some east/west Texas oil people?

Nevermind

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>

The son of a family friend got arrested for running an oil deals scam in Texas. Took people for tens of millions. He’s in prison now. Iirc he was pretending like he had some ownership or right to the land and never did.

• 1Worf

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Sanrith Descartes Sanrith Descartes Blazin Blazin , just discovered VGT and wondering why I went QQQM instead. VGT has been going to the moon since I entered the market at end of nov. either of you familiar with this one?

edit - I guess these aren’t exactly comparable as VGT is exclusively tech. VUG is interesting. Insanely weighted in apple and Microsoft. However out of all big tech those are probably the two companies I actually believe in.

Last edited:

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Have a meeting with my financial advisor later this month. I know I’ve said he’s got me heavily in bonds and that’s my own fault due to some prior poor spending habits. If I want to evaluate how he’s grown my investments should I be focusing on that portfolio - bonds? It makes sense why he’s had me in bonds but one thing on the table to discuss is now that I’m actually making good money and not pulling from this account, maybe it’s decrease these bond holdings.

I do however want to evaluate his portfolio performance and him not come back with “well you’re heavily in bonds “ which is why I am thinking maybe I should look at the performance that isn’t in bonds. To be frank looking at total % gains the only notable one is VUSE with the half of that position being acquired in 2016 and the other in 2022, currently at 87% total increase. The second would be IEMG at 30% total increase with majority positions purchased in 2016. Others sitting at 10-18%. Of course VUSE has been ripping the last year near tracking the sp500.

Maybe a dumb question but how should I be comparing this to let’s say SPY? Should I be looking at total return since X date. Let’s say 2016 since that’s when the majority of my portfolio was repositioned. If so quick Google-fu says SPY 10 year total return has been around 232%. Why does the chart show 10 year as 12%? What am I misinterpreting?

TLDR: 1. how should I be measuring up the performance part of my advisor managed portfolio knowing he was right to have me in bonds due to my own fault. 2. What am I missing here in understanding 10 year return on SPY?

edit - is that 12% 10 year the average annual return over a 10 year period? That would make more sense.
IMG_5714.jpeg