Investing General Discussion

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
Any particular reason why? Or just your "feelings?"

Presidential election years are usually really good for the stock market. And when they're not they're really, really bad. Considering where we sit at the moment, it seems like we'd keep trending up.

This is also why people usually lose money investing. The market averages 10% and has for the past 150 years. You're betting against inertia.
I honestly have some of the same thoughts as Mist, but in my mind my counter argument (to myself) is that we are only just beyond the 2021 highs in most cases and the economy has had more inflation and pretty much across the board all these mega cap tech giants seem even more dominant than they did 3 years ago, so could we dump -15? sure but +15 more this year and again next year seems more likely.

AI is so hope based and hypothetical I honestly don't even look for a crash to come from tech for another 2-3 years so I think we might just string together a couple years of 20-30% gains which really isn't historically unheard of.

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Started doing my taxes yesterday. Turbo tax is estimating I owe the feds 5k…. I have already had these losers withhold almost 50k last year. Got my first RSU vest last fall and sold to cover withholding on vest. This is insane.

Should I be changing my withholding amount? I don’t remember specifically selecting this when I got this job but it seems like I can. I feel like it’s better to owe them money than give them a free loan but 5k owed is a large delta.

Haus

<Silver Donator>
Started doing my taxes yesterday. Turbo tax is estimating I owe the feds 5k…. I have already had these losers withhold almost 50k last year. Got my first RSU vest last fall and sold to cover withholding on vest. This is insane.

Should I be changing my withholding amount? I don’t remember specifically selecting this when I got this job but it seems like I can. I feel like it’s better to owe them money than give them a free loan but 5k owed is a large delta.
I've consistently had sell to covers on my RSU vesting over the past 4 years and inevitably they never sell enough so I keep ending up owing. But that's fine by me since the undersell to cover meant more stock getting more valuable over the year.

• 1Rustled
Reactions: 1 user

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Remember this chart? Friendly reminder that stonks can get far more irrational than you ever can imagine.

Today:
1707755075659.png

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.

Owing them money isn't a problem if you can manage your own cash flows correctly. I try to owe them as much as possible because I don't believe in free loans to the government. The only issue is if you end up with an underpayment penalty, but even then most of the time you can avoid that by claiming your income is irregular. This is the truth in the case where the differential is from investment income, given that you can never really know your net gains until the end of the year when you've decided not to loss harvest or whatever you might have done. (I can't remember if this works without a Schedule-C since I've always had one, but I think it does.)

• 1Like

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
The mean perceived probability that U.S. stock prices will be higher 12 months from now increased by 0.2 percentage point to 36.7

Above is from ny fed survey. Wild to me that 2/3rds of people think markets will drop.

• 1Mother of God

Palum

what Suineg set it to
The mean perceived probability that U.S. stock prices will be higher 12 months from now increased by 0.2 percentage point to 36.7

Above is from ny fed survey. Wild to me that 2/3rds of people think markets will drop.
You're forgetting money printer Democrat helper

Haus

<Silver Donator>
You're forgetting money printer Democrat helper
Well... 12 months from now will be 3 months after the elections. So all the shenanigans pulled to prop up Democrats through the election cycle might be crashing back to Earth about then... So I would see a crash starting around this time next year being a better than zero chance.

Zog

Blackwing Lair Raider
1707772027699.png

Tomorrow's morning catalyst. Cakes at publix went up from 23.99 to 36.99.

Inflation rate remains hidden and fudged by the government.

• 1Rustled
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 users

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Nvidia about to transcend Amazon market cap. Remember what I told you all, there is zero reason for Nvidia not to be a 3 trillion dollar company. Mark my words, by the end of the year.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Nvidia about to transcend Amazon market cap. Remember what I told you all, there is zero reason for Nvidia not to be a 3 trillion dollar company. Mark my words, by the end of the year.

They already did bud.

1707791852744.png

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Foler Foler btw how are your investments in the Emerging Antarctican Bond Market that your advisors got you in?

Last edited:

Zog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Except Nvidia doesnt make its own chips, taiwan semi does. If you think theres a 3 trillion dollar business in nvidia but not intel or amd... Might want to step back from the koolaid.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Yeah Nvidia literally is just a producer of intellectual property. It doesn't deserve to be a 1 trillion dollar company.

• 1Like

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
FSMAX position up a total of 3.5%. I’m pretty happy about capturing the entire market with fxaix 85% and fsmax 15%.

IXUS total finally up almost an entire percent.. I’m thinking today is the day I exit that shit

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Womp womp, CPI higher than expected, inflation actually not under control, soft landing a pipe dream.

Stocks in the toilet.