Investing General Discussion

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Side note for those who remember my original post here.

My original $64,000 I got for my pension is up over 10k in less than 4 months. Dumped the vast majority of it in SPLG, I've got a few shares of odds and ends with the money left over that didn't make nice round numbers.

So far so good. Won't be retiring early or nothing, but hopefully I get to retire!

Post da pics.

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
Post da pics.
Screenshot_20240222-224355.png

Sanrith Descartes Sanrith Descartes is basically to credit for this. 1200 shares of SPLG. I dont know fuck all about much.

Just wish I had this a year ago and put it in Nvidia!

• 5Solidarity
  • 3Like
  • 1To the Moon!
Reactions: 8 users

taebin

Same trailer, different park
Where did Sanrith go? Last I saw he was having a fight with LLR in the Amod thread.

• 1Thoughts & Prayers
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
So I’m debating exiting FSMAX. I know SD, blazin and other posters didn’t really suggest capturing total US market in the first place but I decided to after doing some reading some boglehead discussions.

It’s wayyy more volatile than FXAIX and I assume any other sp500 index. Historically lower returns than FXAIX. In hindsight all the boglehead posts/topics about it didn’t really give any sort of technical reason to capture the full market other than some dogma about owning the entire market weighted. On one hand I really hate to exit it because I don’t think that’s very boglehead of me - not sticking to my plan and I already gave up my international last week, IXUS.

On the other hand I think boglehead philosophy is just philosophy. It’s not hard rules and if something doesn’t make sense why stick to it?

Right now out of FXAIX + FSMAX total my FSMAX accounts for 15% of that total. I think market weighted it would need to be 18-20% to approximate total market. Approximating total stock market - Bogleheads

Looking for some thoughts on this. Even if you think approximating entire market isn’t worthwhile I’d like to hear the devils advocate opinion for doing so because as I’ve said it seems nothing more than some dogma and like Blazin Blazin has said in the past winners will bias up into sp500.

edit - I do want to say I see boglehead posts like this. However this goes back to what Blazin Blazin was kinda saying earlier, he wouldn’t buy an individual stock unless it’s something he wanted that wasn’t captured in one of his funds. I find this argument in the below quoted post dumb because sure you’ll get Tesla which would have biased into sp500 eventually but you’ll also get turds that bias down. So looking at it from that perspective you should have just bought Tesla at the time however what you didn’t know you didn’t know. I don’t think the poster can make this argument without acknowledging everything that biased downward or acknowledging that he could have alternatively bought Tesla stock on its way up.
I was listening to a podcast and they used the example of Tesla. Since Tesla wasn't in the S&P 500 for a long time, even though they were growing rapidly and worth enough I wouldn't have owned them at all until they were allowed in and vetted. So I was thinking that would be a good reason to own some of the small and mid cap. The only downside is mid and small cap ER are higher

Last edited:

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>

The SEC claims that Loudon, who is based in Houston, Texas, listened in on several remote calls held by his wife, a BP merger and acquisitions manager who had been working on the planned deal in a home office 20ft (6 metres) away.

That amount of money is such small fucking potatoes that it took her confessing to her bosses and them referring it to the SEC for them to bring charges. Oh, they fired her anyways because the company has no loyalty to people and must take the action that makes them look the least culpable.

1708694240712.png

This guy is dumb as fuck for ever confessing.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yeah, shoulda just rolled the dice and hoped the SEC wouldn't notice (likely). Now she's jobless, he's going to jail, probably had all the money seized, plus she divorced him. Completely destroyed both their lives over morals both their companies and the SEC routinely flaunt themselves.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Keep that shit in your Man Cave account and never tell her about it.

The end. lol.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
SMCI:

Super Micro Computer Prices $1.5 Billion Offering of Convertible Notes Due 2029​

• 1Like
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 1 users

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
So looking at it from that perspective you should have just bought Tesla at the time however what you didn’t know you didn’t know.

“You don’t know what you don’t know.”

This is why you index.

• 1EyeRoll
Reactions: 1 user

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Just the tip fellas. See you at 3 trillion.

Some irrelevant boomer thinks there’s an AI bubble LOL. Ain’t no bubble to burst…

• 1Worf

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

Nothing to see here. New ATHs here we come!

... followed by:

JPMorgan Chase & Co. Chief Executive Officer Jamie Dimon and his family sold $150 million worth of the bank’s stock, following through on last year’s announcement that he would begin selling shares for the first time since taking the helm 18 years ago.

Some more macro color:
While Nvidia boosted major indexes, the gains were lavished in a select handful of equities yet again. Less than 70% of stocks on the New York Stock Exchange advanced, while S&P 500 cored a 1.7% weekly gain. That’s bad news for those who have been betting on a broadening of the rally soon enough.

I am still not fully cash deployed in the broader market. Not liking the breadth with the entire market being carried by a few names. Under the hood isn't as bullish as the big ETFs imply.

Last edited:
  • 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
I think I’ve seen covered calls talked about before here. I bought 100 shares of RKLB yesterday for a 15-20 year hold. A coworker mentioned I should sell covered calls on them. Just started doing some research. Any thoughts?

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Your only choice for decent premium is the $5 strike. The July $5 premium for example is 0.55 or an 11% return and this has closed above $5 several times so doesn't seem worth it.

• 1Like