Investing General Discussion

Il_Duce Lightning Lord Rule

Lightning Fast
<Charitable Administrator>
People went to the movies because they had a near monopoly on content people wanted to see and gatekept it behind 'the theater experience'. Now, there is so much competition for similar or better content, the theater experience is going the way of the dodo. That you can make billions of dollars on something that should cost a tiny fraction of what it does currently if it WASN'T behind such a gate is the clue here. There's also the massive waste in the entertainment industry with all of the glut that comes with it after decades of not having to be accountable. Unions, overstaffed studios, overstaffed HR depts, all kinds of other ancillary leeches, all of it's going to start to fall over like dominoes after the theater conglomerates start to go under.

Personally, I hope the failure of theaters leads to a massive cascade failure in the entire entertainment industry, and think there's a better than 10% chance that actually happens. If we start to hear rumblings about ESPN being sold out of Disney, that's one of the lynchpins for it all starting to fall.

IMO of course. Usual caveats apply and all predictions wrong or your money back.

PS: I also hold out hope all of LA gets swallowed up by the sea, but that's a more outside possibility I think.

• 5Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 5 users

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I don’t think theaters are going away completely, but they aren’t going to ever get back to how it was before.

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Cathy has caught the Blazin Blazin vision of Tesla as infrastructure company. She may be right about this one.

• 1Launch Fail
Reactions: 1 user

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I don't know if seeing movies will come back. But there's a large movement in the entertainment business to stream or see movies at the house which is against going to see one in person and normally doesn't have the issues of being in a theater that occurs in several places. At the house I can just mute my own phone and it doesn't ring.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
i hope my semiconductor stock will be ok with ww3 starting

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Thoughts & Prayers
Reactions: 1 users

Haus

<Silver Donator>
I don't know if seeing movies will come back. But there's a large movement in the entertainment business to stream or see movies at the house which is against going to see one in person and normally doesn't have the issues of being in a theater that occurs in several places. At the house I can just mute my own phone and it doesn't ring.
There was a time when it was a ritual amongst my friend group to do movie nights. Especially the weekend that big scifi/fantasy movies opened...

Now I'm in a world where I still haven't seen Dune 2 despite being a fan of the IP, and having heard it was pretty good from some people I trust, and I figure I'm just going to wait and stream it at home. The only real reason I had to go to the theater anymore was it was the easiest way to handle my occasional funnel cake cravings, then the wife decided to master funnel cake batter and here we are.....

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Cathy has caught the Blazin Blazin vision of Tesla as infrastructure company. She may be right about this one.

I think Cathy is way off on the speed of FSD and EV adoption but she isn’t wrong about the kind of company Tesla has to be become to be a good investment for the next decade.

• 1Like
  • 1Mother of God

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
I think Cathy is way off on the speed of FSD and EV adoption but she isn’t wrong about the kind of company Tesla has to be become to be a good investment for the next decade.
Did she actually say that how she envisions TSLA or is that your own vision that you're ascribing to her?

Because Cathie also believes that Reddit is an "AI Play"

• 1EyeRoll

Deebo

Molten Core Raider
People went to the movies because they had a near monopoly on content people wanted to see and gatekept it behind 'the theater experience'. Now, there is so much competition for similar or better content, the theater experience is going the way of the dodo. That you can make billions of dollars on something that should cost a tiny fraction of what it does currently if it WASN'T behind such a gate is the clue here. There's also the massive waste in the entertainment industry with all of the glut that comes with it after decades of not having to be accountable. Unions, overstaffed studios, overstaffed HR depts, all kinds of other ancillary leeches, all of it's going to start to fall over like dominoes after the theater conglomerates start to go under.

Personally, I hope the failure of theaters leads to a massive cascade failure in the entire entertainment industry, and think there's a better than 10% chance that actually happens. If we start to hear rumblings about ESPN being sold out of Disney, that's one of the lynchpins for it all starting to fall.

IMO of course. Usual caveats apply and all predictions wrong or your money back.

PS: I also hold out hope all of LA gets swallowed up by the sea, but that's a more outside possibility I think.
Theres going to be a lot more of that "Only in theaters" coming though. Look at what top movies made in the domestic box office prior to covid, then look at them after. They are the same or better, for example Top gun and the barbie movie.
I don’t think theaters are going away completely, but they aren’t going to ever get back to how it was before.
If you mean before covid, then just look at the box office earnings before covid, then look at them the last few years. About the same as it was, and since the writers strike is over there will be more movies that will be only in theaters.
There was a time when it was a ritual amongst my friend group to do movie nights. Especially the weekend that big scifi/fantasy movies opened...

Now I'm in a world where I still haven't seen Dune 2 despite being a fan of the IP, and having heard it was pretty good from some people I trust, and I figure I'm just going to wait and stream it at home. The only real reason I had to go to the theater anymore was it was the easiest way to handle my occasional funnel cake cravings, then the wife decided to master funnel cake batter and here we are.....
That just sounds like getting old, lol. There's still those same groups out there that do that. Go to a theater on a Friday or Saturday night during a new movie release and you will clearly see theaters are not dying.

• 1Imbecile

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
What could possibly go wrong with making an AI a mathematical amalgamation of the average reddit poster?
That Big Brain Cathie for you, she always manages to load up on stock right before it shits and then HODLs for months to get back to break even.

What a visionary

• 2Worf

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
It's been like that for a while. In fact, the whole economy right now is government spending. It's like whoever is in charge only ever took intro to macroeconomics and that part about government spending being used to prop up private/commercial spending in downturns just got amped up to being the only strategy (it might be Paul Krugman in charge of it all).

• 1Rustled

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Did she actually say that how she envisions TSLA or is that your own vision that you're ascribing to her?

Because Cathie also believes that Reddit is an "AI Play"
It’s an AI play in that all reddits data will be sold for LLMs. Duh

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
It’s an AI play in that all reddits data will be sold for LLMs. Duh

Bro, you are literally just stealing what I said in Stock Pals chat yesterday lol

the fucking nerve.

• 1Mic Drop
  • 1Seriously?

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
18 hours ago

now
1712330269453.png

• 1Mother of God
  • 1Worf