Investing General Discussion

Jysin

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
7,328
5,965
The biggest question to ask is what are their fees. Then ask for historical fund performance vs the indexes they are marked against. These funds all make their money in fees, so it would need to be a considerable savings of which I am skeptical.

People really tend to overcomplicate things. DCA into a low cost index and forget it. These managed funds tend to hook wealthier clients because they are so loss averse and constantly seeking greater returns. Suddenly a managed account (charging fees for AUM) seems appealing. In reality, the fees are a drag and negatively compound against you.
 
Last edited:
  • 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Jysin

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
7,328
5,965
Here is a visual on fee drags on a basic account over 30 years.

Nearly $400k lost in your final portfolio balance at 1% fee. A whopping $650k lost for a 2% fee.

1788845558872.png
 
  • 2WTF
  • 2Like
Reactions: 3 users

Haus

I am Big Balls!
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
21,865
90,920
Here is a visual on fee drags on a basic account over 30 years.

Nearly $400k lost in your final portfolio balance at 1% fee. A whopping $650k lost for a 2% fee.

View attachment 640010
Yeah, it definitely doesn't work well for your long term "lifelong" strategy. In my case I'm only considering it this late as a way to help shave a little off the tax portion of what I'm going to owe diversifying out of a large overly-concentrated position.
 
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
47,945
132,071
If you are in a position to cash buy in the next few years this will be a boon though.
 

Sheriff Cad

scientia potentia est
<Nazi Janitors>
35,528
85,987
Reddit removed the post… gay
 
Last edited:

Sludig

Potato del Grande
12,261
13,398
This thread has been absolutely dead lately. I guess that'll happen thought when it trades sideways for months at a time though.
The 2-3 main posters are gone or at least not posting. Sanrith, the other ex mod not Brekk always space the name, a year or two was posting wifey and the farm they were building, etc.
 

Sheriff Cad

scientia potentia est
<Nazi Janitors>
35,528
85,987
This thread has been absolutely dead lately. I guess that'll happen thought when it trades sideways for months at a time though.
Overall market has been pretty lateral, but if you are invested in any tech funds specifically, those are still off to the races. VGT is up ~36% YTD.
 
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
17,048
73,295
Outside of being long spy/qqq I've just been using ten percent of my portfolio selling puts on NVDA, TSLA, and now SPCX to juice some extra returns. They have strong support levels but move enough that the premiums are still good. Well, SPCX support levels not so much, but I wouldn't mind getting assigned for some long term holds anyway.