Investing

Soriak_sl

shitlord
What do you think could happen to 401ks? That money is in your account and you've already received the tax break for it.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
220px-SenatorJonCorzine.jpg

This guy and the thousands more out there like him(that haven't been "caught" yet).

rinthe_sl

shitlord
The average investor actually plays the market in reverse. They buy in when things are doing well and sale when things are doing poorly.
My turn

The average investor makes money. But loses a good chunk of it and more than they should to commissions, spreads & fees.

Harfle

Lord Nagafen Raider
What do you think could happen to 401ks? That money is in your account and you've already received the tax break for it.
How can you go wrong with retirement accounts they are protected by federal law from creditors to include your former spouse.

Chesire_sl

shitlord
How can you go wrong with retirement accounts they are protected by federal law from creditors to include your former spouse.
Too paraphrase a quote from the old lizard king himself , " we can gurantee the retirement checks will be mailed , in any amount , for infinity. We can not gurantee purchasing power. the LK being alan greenspan .

In the 80's a million dollars in safe investments would get a return of 90,000 give or take some. Today you would be lucky to make 5000 on it in bank CD's

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
Too paraphrase a quote from the old lizard king himself , " we can gurantee the retirement checks will be mailed , in any amount , for infinity. We can not gurantee purchasing power. the LK being alan greenspan .

In the 80's a million dollars in safe investments would get a return of 90,000 give or take some. Today you would be lucky to make 5000 on it in bank CD's
In the 80's it also cost 14-15% per year to finance a house. Lets not go back to the 80's.

Chesire_sl

shitlord
In the 80's it also cost 14-15% per year to finance a house. Lets not go back to the 80's.
True , however the old man built a new house and his total payment was only 300 a month . He made double mortgage payments on it , then retired from the military got a full time job and put all the retirment pay into the mortgage till it was paid off. Think it was around in seven years . Back then one could get a entry level factory job paying 10 bucks and hour and get a second job delivering food on fri/sat/sun and buy a house cash in two years. Of course YMMV and this was totally dependent on ones geo location.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
True , however the old man built a new house and his total payment was only 300 a month . He made double mortgage payments on it , then retired from the military got a full time job and put all the retirment pay into the mortgage till it was paid off. Think it was around in seven years . Back then one could get a entry level factory job paying 10 bucks and hour and get a second job delivering food on fri/sat/sun and buy a house cash in two years. Of course YMMV and this was totally dependent on ones geo location.
You could do that now too if you live well below your means and work 7 days a week. If you work 2 jobs and make $60k a year and can save it, you can buy a totally decent house in normal areas. (Not SF, NY, LA, DC, etc). My first house cost $130k and was a pretty nice 3/2/2 @ 2000 sq ft.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
I typically make about 18-22% a year on my portfolios (past 8 years average of 19%). Until today. I was HEAVILY invested in Amarin. Bought it at 5.25/5.62 I should have sold it at 7-7.50 Got greedy on Adcom/FDA run up.

Sold it off this morning for 2.06 pre-market.... Thank god my etfs and reits are doing well for now.

But seriously...worst...trade....ever.

/rant off

Harfle

Lord Nagafen Raider
With you on that. Because if that's truth dude would be the richest man in the world. But it's the internet so dude is probably bullshitting because you can just fake anything on the Internet

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
For the record, my IRR since I started managing my own investments in 2004 is hanging around 7% right now. I only truly got in to index investing with ETF's in the middle of 2009, prior to that it was various mutual funds that were fucking me on fees, before I read the gospel of Bogel. And unfortunately I missed a very large portion of the 2009 recovery as I didn't get a bunch of money out of company and in to investments until August. That probably cost me a point or two on my current IRR.

rrr_img_46824.jpg

If I can maintain that 7% average over the long term or nudge it up somewhere between 7-9%, I'll be thrilled.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
7% is fantastic. I've had a great run. Bought Agnc at 26, got 20% return a year, reinvested directly on the divs, sold at 36. Similar news with ARR. I buy msft at 28 sell at 34. Klondex, sbux, wavx, etc... This are just the names during the past couple years. I have family members who work for schwab so I don't need message boards to help me invest. Just came to post my news so folks like kegnesto can beat off to the shaudenfreud. He never disappoints.

As for downturns, look for signs. If you're not greedy and timid you convert half your portfolio to cash and reinvest on downswings and bear raids you can do just fine. I'm definitely not an expert, I have good advice and a lack of diversity which allows me to focus on just a couple dozen listings at a time.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
Wavx was my best this year now that I look at it. They announced a 4:1 when they were trading at .38 cents so their riyhad contracts were totally ignored due to poor perception on the company. The next day the stock is at .89. This one was a no brained. Sold at 1.70 less than a month later. Typing on my phone, so fuck autocorrect. Had I not taken this hit on amarin is be up 48% this year alone. Instead I'm down nearly 30& due to sheer greed. Had the FDA approved their drug yesterday it'd be trading at 14 by end of year.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Jait_sl said:
As for downturns, look for signs. If you're not greedy and timid you convert half your portfolio to cash and reinvest on downswings and bear raids you can do just fine.
That's the definition of market timing, and it's been shown repeatedly to be a mug's game.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I see Google (GOOG) broke $1k last week. Fucking hell.. I remember when it IPO'd around $75 and immediately shot to >$100 per. I thought to myself "its a fucking search engine and has pretty maps, this has to be overvalued". Smack forehead.. Fast forward a few years later and I actually do buy in at ~$300 per share, held for a while and sold at $480 per share thinking to myself "what else could they possibly come up with next?" and happy with my return.

Here we are at $1k per and I honestly sit here questioning if I will have this exact same feeling of regret in the future once again...

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
What tool are you using to track your investments, Eomer? That looks pretty cool.
That's just a report from Quicken.

Jysin_sl said:
Here we are at $1k per and I honestly sit here questioning if I will have this exact same feeling of regret in the future once again...
haha, yeah. Could you imagine if you had invested in Apple 10 years ago? Hindsight is a bitch.