Invincible

Goatface

didn't know he did the voice, but got replaced

1711826749243.png

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Love this show. I never read these comics, did not even know they existed, so I'm going about this backwards, same way I did with Preacher, in that I ordered the compendium volume 1 and have been working my way through it. Great stuff so far but shocking that William is straight and Amber is white. What kind of homophobic racists were these authors? Thank God the tv show corrected this for our benefit.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Love this show. I never read these comics, did not even know they existed, so I'm going about this backwards, same way I did with Preacher, in that I ordered the compendium volume 1 and have been working my way through it. Great stuff so far but shocking that William is straight and Amber is white. What kind of homophobic racists were these authors? Thank God the tv show corrected this for our benefit.
Just like Tulip....

Angry Looney Tunes GIF

Cybsled

It was fine - it settled a few plot points and was the setup for some future stuff. I just hope season 3 doesn't take too long, since the Viltrumite stuff will start to take more of a center stage

Homsar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I liked the finale, it just sucks it will take 2 years or whatever for the next season takes on the comics. The Eve mini story i think should have been handled differently as far as release

I really hope they don't skip the Anissa story which I feel like they are trying to avoid but Mark boosting his power disproves that

Last edited:

Goatface

supposedly s3 will start within a year. voice work been long done and kirtman said it was very far along nearly 8 months ago.

would really enjoy if they did an Allen the Alien mini-series or movie in-between

Homsar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
supposedly s3 will start within a year. voice work been long done and kirtman said it was very far along nearly 8 months ago.

would really enjoy if they did an Allen the Alien mini-series or movie in-between
Have they got green lit for 7 seasons? At this rate it's going to need that.

Allen mini movie would be fun

Wombat

Trakanon Raider
That Season 1 finale set a high bar, and the show may have already been renewed prior to them finishing the season two finale, but that didn't wrap up much, and even brought up old material (e.g. the pharaoh) for no payoff.

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
That Season 1 finale set a high bar, and the show may have already been renewed prior to them finishing the season two finale, but that didn't wrap up much, and even brought up old material (e.g. the pharaoh) for no payoff.
I think the Pharaoh is going to be a running joke for the season finale, maybe? Don't read comics so no idea what part he plays there.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
I think the Pharaoh is going to be a running joke for the season finale, maybe? Don't read comics so no idea what part he plays there.
He clearly is supposed to be an homage to Mumm-Ra from Thundercats. Even the voice is almost the same.

I'm betting it's a gag.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

sliverstorm

Trakanon Raider
Edit: No specific plot spoilers, but broad impressions of the comic having read it end-to-end:

My impression of both of Kirkman's major series was that he starts with something fresh and tightly plotted and then just sort of...keeps it going, piling on subversions and moral ambiguities until everything is a "life's complicated" stew with no point of view and no plan for a dramatically satisfying payoff. It makes Invincible and TWD really easy to recommend that someone start reading, but equally hard to recommend that they stick it out and finish.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Caliane

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Edit: No specific plot spoilers, but broad impressions of the comic having read it end-to-end:

My impression of both of Kirkman's major series was that he starts with something fresh and tightly plotted and then just sort of...keeps it going, piling on subversions and moral ambiguities until everything is a "life's complicated" stew with no point of view and no plan for a dramatically satisfying payoff. It makes Invincible and TWD really easy to recommend that someone start reading, but equally hard to recommend that they stick it out and finish.

yeah. I don't think this needs to be spoilered. the walking dead is really bad with just no point, and going on and on and on.
Invincible does it a bit. but is way better at maintaining character arcs, etc.

I linked that littleplatoon vid on the foundations of Dune in the dune 2 movie threat. and its a fascinating discussion. he ALSO posted a clip from the upcoming full vid, in regards to the "hero''s journey" and paul.
This section compares the well-known Hero's Journey formula, usually associated with Joseph Campbell, with the lesser-known mythotype pattern constructed by Lord Raglan. The former is, famously, the structure adopted by George Lucas for Luke Skywalker in Star Wars, while the latter more closely matches Frank Herbert's designs for Paul Atreides in Dune.

which then of course leads into Mark. hero's journey, or mythotype... where does HE stand? where does kirkman? Did he have any plan or was it all just "and then" serial storytelling?
the group, is it multiple hero's journeys? where is robot and eve in this discussion?

how does Invincible, stand up as a work? like dune. so far, they have been going pretty close to 1:1. they have not taken much opportunity to revise it to be a more organized single body of work. which is itself interesting.

this is such a fascinating question. I'd be curious of someone that has the time to do a deep dive on that thinks.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users