IOS/Andriod "____ Meets Pokemon" Type Games

Wuyley_sl

shitlord
Seeing as how successful Puzzles and Dragons is, with Brave Frontier right on it's heels, more and more of these games are, and will be coming out. Instead of making a new thread for each, I decided to make one thread for them all and if any one game gets enough interest, it can split off into its own thread. (clears his throat and knocks on your door) With that said, let me tell you aboutBattle Camp.

CTY48aDx58R6Ynt5TSgvl6At6pa1kl1VQqbIk51wCJZ5UaFjC9zV1rKho3-6dZT84fE=h900

Battle Camp is essentially a cute / solid UI plus extra stuff of Puzzle and Dragons. Although I didn't like PD because of the shitty UI, this game is pretty solid. I started up a guild on there called Rerolled and if you use the referral code:tvfpz6you get a free rare unit. I was looking for another game to supplement my playing of Brave Frontier and so far this has held my interest unlike other games like Honor Bound, PD, etc.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'll just cut and paste what I put in the mobile thread in a post not long ago.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Speaking of PAD type games: Gameloft recently releasedDungeon Gems. Different puzzle but same game mechanics with the machines and gems etc. And teams/leaders/friends. Seems decent. I like the puzzle mechanic, but it's not as deep/skill-based as PAD. Seems to have a lot of event dungeons running. Lots of loading screens and somewhat clunky interface sometimes. Hangs up a bit when scrolling etc(on my 1st gen Nexus 7)

Few other Android games I've tried in the "Holy Shit PAD made a billion dollars, we should get on that train!" genre...

Linezeta: Different puzzle and a couple unique mechanics, but it's a blatant rip. Instead of monsters etc you have mechs, but early on every single one has a very obvious counterpart in PAD. Color, skill, levels, everything is straight copied over from PAD. Same for the dungeons, exact copies just with their version of the monsters. It's not bad, but as with most of them the puzzle part isn't as deep/skill-based. Bit more twitchy.

Tower of Saviors: I think this was the first of the big budget clones for PAD. Same exact puzzle mechanic but monsters/skills/dungeons are different. Bunch of unique mechanics. This game got huge in China before PAD released there. Pretty good game in it's own right and it's well supported with lots of updates and events.

Puzzle Trooper: Same puzzle mechanic. But unlike PAD you mostly want to get the biggest chunk of orbs rather than more combos. Makes it play a bit different. Can probably tell by the name it's more military themed. Cartoony though. Not bad.

Dragon Coins: Sega game(no Sonic or anything though=P), the "puzzle" is a coin pusher so it's wildly different there. This one tries to push IAP harder than the rest and the actual "game" is way more random and barely involves any skill. It's shitpoop.

Slash of the Dragoon: Game part is way different. The game throws some shapes up from the bottom of the screen and you have a couple seconds to "slash" them length-wise before they fall back. Monsters attack based on the colors of the shapes. Very twitchy. Didn't really hold my interest, but I could see some folks liking it for the game mechanic. Monster evo/enhance/roll etc is like the rest.

Derpa

Trakanon Raider
I disliked Puzzle and dragons for the same reason, I picked up tower of saviors before it though and that one had me hooked for a bit.

But none of those kind of games has gotten me to really stick to it like brave frontier has done, I think its the fact that its less random and that it doesn't force you to pay out all the time to get even decent at it.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
There's thousands of players who have never paid a dime who clear all content in PAD. The idea that you have to pay to win is ridiculous and an excuse for bad players. It's no more random than BF, it just takes a hell of a lot more skill/planning to be good at the actual gameplay part of the game.

Wuyley_sl

shitlord
One thing that BF does well is not have any annoying pop ups or ask you all the time to pimp the game on Facebook. Maybe that is why I don't mind spending money on it cause it never "begs" you for whatever. Battle Camp does this a little bit but it's not too bad

Derpa

Trakanon Raider
There's thousands of players who have never paid a dime who clear all content in PAD. The idea that you have to pay to win is ridiculous and an excuse for bad players. It's no more random than BF, it just takes a hell of a lot more skill/planning to be good at the actual gameplay part of the game.
lol

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
Tower of Saviors seems pretty good to me, but I haven't tried many of the others including PAD. IMO ToS had a better UI then most and they are generous with the free gems. Translation is lacking in some cases but you get used to it.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
ToS is really well made. They blatantly copied PAD as a base but they took the formula and ran. They made it their own unique game early on, with team member based boosts and such, and ran with it.