Iratus, Lord of the Dead (Roguelike, Turn-Based RPG)

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
New game just hit early access and a few streamers (namely Bahroo and CobaltStreak) that really went hard at Darkest Dungeon were asked to play. It is essentially the same genre as DD but the twist is that you play as Iratus, the Necromancer freed from deep underground after 500 years or something. Your minions can become powerful but are ultimately expendable as there are limited ways to heal and many more options to recreate and quickly level new ones. If you are a fan of DD (and I am a huge one) then I recommend picking it up in Early Access because it is very polished already and, outside of adding the last two areas to the game, the list of EA goals is mainly more content and QoL fixes.

It is normally $25 bucks but on sale for $22.50 right now. I have already put about 10 hours in and am still in my first playthrough. I bought it because this is definitely a genre that I would like to see targeted with a ton more development and innovation.

Iratus, Lord of the Dead on Steam

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
That looks cool. Will try it out.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

cyrusreij

Trakanon Raider
If you like Darkest Dungeon, this game should be right up your alley. Very enjoyable, fun twist on DD, and reasonably difficult.

The major change from Darkest Dungeon (besides the whole, you are the bad guy who uses stress attacks on the good guys) is that the game has a much faster progression with no backtracking. If you get wiped out of all of your units and parts to build units to a hard fight (typically the bosses) you have to restart your run, there is no regrinding up a squad like DD had.

That said for those who want to play, be forewarned against the first boss on your first play through, he will probably push your shit in unless you research him beforehand and bring a specific comp. The way this game works, is you start with 6 base classes and unlock more through doing stuff in game (unit reaches level 5, drive X enemies insane, etc.). On your very first run you will most likely only have the six starter classes who have limited ability to deal with the first boss outside of a couple different comps. Once you unlock at least the Lich/Mummy he becomes MUCH easier as you get better access to repositioning and stress stacking abilities. A lot of people on the Steam Discussions were losing their mind that he is so hard at first attempt. I failed my first run on him, got him on the first try on the second run, and the second boss on the third try of the second run. Currently doing the third level (final of Early Access, full game has five levels).

Also, your progress for unlocking new classes rolls over from playthrough to playthrough.

• 1Like

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
This is actually super different from DD aside from the actual flow of combat itself. Minion management, base management, all the crafting etc are completely different. You cannot grind xp here, and your minions are even more disposable than they were in DD. It's also much, much shorter and designed more similarly to a roguelike ala slay the spire where you play multiple runs using different strategies etc.

My only problem so far is that most of the minion unlocks are largely just upgrades, which invalidates a lot of the earlier minions pretty quickly. Also there's launch DLC that contains minions which is pretty faggoty.

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
Welp, I am totally playing this over the weekend. Take my money.jpg.

I've read many of the reviews, and I know what to expect. But the potential good outweighs the potential bad for me. The launch DLC comment is a little concerning, but I am in regardless.

One review talked about the difference between this and DD in how your guys were throwaway but in this game they start as throwaway and then they are critical in the final runs in that you have to do perfect or fail. Clearly that reviewer never did the actual Darkest Dungeon or some of the final forms of the bosses, because that exact issue existed in DD as well.

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
After a mild time up to the end I just got wrecked by the third boss. There needs to be a little tuning on that one since there is no way to get ahead of the summoned elementals and they do a bunch of damage and ignite.

Also, is it just me or are most of the stances worthless? They need to deal a ton more damage to make up for the fact that you are gambling your turn away on something that may or may not happen.

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
The game is fun, but balance is off and content is lacking.

Graphics are good, sound and music are ok, story and narration are really inferior compared to darkest dungeon.

I nearly lost a team when I met my first "immune to stress" enemy. Boss fights also require somewhat of a specific composition. Some units are a lot better then others.

I finished the game in a good afternoon and did a few restarts, the game doesn't offer enough variety to be replayable in its current state. Total number of items seems very limited, so you just end up getting the same stuff in different games. The map changing doesn't impact play-style, its just not important enough.

While I could grind to unlock the last few units, I don't see the point since I've completed the game.

This is a fine 8 hour game for 25$, don't buy it now if you expect more then that.

• 1Like

ziggyholiday

<Bronze Donator>
Yeah...interesting game for sure. How do you get vampires? Looked online but couldn't figure it out.

• 1Like

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
Yeah...interesting game for sure. How do you get vampires? Looked online but couldn't figure it out.

In the 3rd floor there is a character that you can drive insane and then collect call the Dhampyer or something similar. Do it 5 times and you unlock the fallen one to create. I don't know for sure but it stands to reason that there is some way for its skills to create a vampire.

Last edited:

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
Just to illustrate what a front-line, A+ gamer I have become in my dotage, I did not realize I had to put minions into the buildings to gain the benefit until I watched a recent review. For some reason I just thought they were primarily global passives and just plowed on.

Yeah, I am the bestest at games. I should start streaming.

• 1Worf

Drajakur

Molten Core Raider
This game is in release and on sale now. I picked it up yesterday and have been really enjoying it. Obviously, it is very similar to Darkest Dungeon but I personally find the mechanics a bit more forgiving. You can see your next fights in a map and plan a route to the boss. Some people probably don't like that very much but I do. Unlocking characters is interesting and some of them play quite differently. Right now I'm in the second map running primarily a Mummy, Daughter, Zombie and DK (in that order back to front). I haven't really been focusing too much on a Stress build yet because it seems more hit-and-miss. Anyway, I think it is pretty fun.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Glad you brought it to page one. I keep hearing about it with Shadowlands in WoW's "Torghast" roguelike announcement, but never seen it in action. Looks like its worth a play if it's not to expensive.