Is Rock dying or already dead?

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
You want to know why Rock died? It basically went from Grunge to Nu-Metal. Fuck Nu-Metal(aka cancer).

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Nu metal was primarily garbage but there were a couple gems. System of a Down is legit.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Stave

Potato del Grande
You want to know why Rock died? It basically went from Grunge to Nu-Metal. Fuck Nu-Metal(aka cancer).

Eh, I thought a lot of grunge was shit minus obviously Nirvana, STP, and AIC. Nu-Metal had a lot of one hit wonders, but had some great standouts as well. Korn, Sevendust, Slipknot, Deftones, SoaD, Disturbed, Chevelle, etc.

After came Emo shit and Metalcore shit. I can hardly stand either minus a few select bands. I'd say this is where mainstream Rock died. Nu-Metal, love it or hate it, made Rock extremely mainstream for a good chunk of time.

I think Rock's biggest problem is it's own fanbase. They tend to be a lot more hardcore and dedicated. When a band does become big or try anything creatively different, they get accused of being sellouts and then thrown aside. Evolution is frowned upon by a lot of fans. It also has a much pickier fanbase. Many fans only like certain sub-genres of rock and can't stand others. Most pop music listeners like all the shit they hear on the radio, from Justin Beiber, to Adele, to whatever shit is popular right now, because their friends all like it, so they like it too. That and most of it is formulated and written by the same writers/producers. Which is why it makes money. Which is why it is played more. Rock will return when there is money to be made in rock again. It will just take some new unique band with a unique sound that will go mainstream, create a new sub-genre and a new following from pop listeners, and then spawn 200 clones.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
How you gonna list the non shit grunge bands and not include Soundgarden? By far my favorite grunge band.

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
I don't usually venture into these parts of the forums, but I was wondering the same thing a while back when I saw a picture of a huge, jam packed stadium Metallica was playing at sometime during the 80s and I was wondering why I never heard of any modern metal bands doing these things. Any time I hear of a huge sports stadium being filled for a rock band, turns out that rock band is composed of people in their 50s or 60s. Felt strange.

Lot of good insight into the reasons here. Probably a combination of factors including, but not limited to: generational shifts, new music editing software, lack of interest in the Music Industry, and a whole host of other reasons.

The few modern bands I have heard all seem... bland. There seems to be little inspiration both for the playing of instruments and the lyrics. Just take Metallica for instance, Nothing Else Matters (at the video timestamp). That sort of guitar riff still send shivers down my spine.

Someone also noted how easy it is to make "perfectly" played music now, and how hollow it sounds. This is something I have also noticed, though I first noticed it not with Rock, but with classical music a while back when I found these two versions of Bach's Tocata and Fuge:

This version is played by an algorithm, and is there fore played absolutely perfectly. Each note is played for exactly the correct amount of time, and at the right time.

This version is played by Karl Richter, probably one of the best Bach performers the 20th century saw:

Compared to the former, Richter is not playing perfectly. Yet you will be hard pressed to find a finer human player, ever. And that's the rub. I came to realise that people who dedicate their lives to playing an instrument, whether it's classical, rock or other, do not manage to play perfectly, but instead manage to perfect the imperfect. By that I mean they play as good as is humanly possible, but since they still are human they still have these minor imperfections, hold a note slightly too long or short, timing is very slightly off, etc. But that is actually a good thing, as it means they are playing with feeling and we, the listener, can hear and notice these slight imperfections which turns the otherwise "dead" music "alive".

My 2 cents for whatever they're worth.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
That algorithm version is awful. Zero touch. Zero feel. Each note is played way too distinctly.

But there are musicians who are perfect that fucking kick ass and still manage to play with feel. Look up anything The Aristocrats have played. Guthrie Govan (guitar) is unreal. And Marco on drums. Just ridiculous players. Both are definitely the best I've ever seen on their respective instruments. And this includes a masterful group of players like John Petrucci, Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, Adrian Belew. Leaves me floored every time.

And despite their pure musical technicality, the solo (3:50 mark) actually has emotion behind it. Something many players at this caliber lose.

Agenor

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Worth the watch.

TLDW

Two people over the past 20 years is essentially writing the majority of today's pop songs. Max Martin, and Dr Luke. That's why so much of today's pop sounds the same.

Not experimenting with real instruments. Pop is using exact same combination of keyboard, drum machine, sampler, and computer software.

Last edited: