Is there a market for this ?

Lowendtheory_sl

shitlord
So I have a decent size mp3 collection of about 10,000 files and the entire thing is a mess of mislabeled and missing metadata and filenames that are gibberish. I was looking online for software that can help automate the process and I found musicbrainz and media monkey which work decently but are far from perfect in terms of automating the tedious process.

I was thinking that it would be great if there was a service (i would actually pay for this) that could do this for me where I send my entire mislabeled music library and it gets get cleaned up by someone and sent back to me. So I searched and found nothing like that on the internet. It got me thinking that maybe there could be a market for a business that provides this service ? Probably not going to get rich off of it but i'm just curious if there is a potential market for this.

What do you guys think ? Any feedback is appreciated.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
So I have a decent size mp3 collection of about 10,000 files and the entire thing is a mess of mislabeled and missing metadata and filenames that are gibberish. I was looking online for software that can help automate the process and I found musicbrainz and media monkey which work decently but are far from perfect in terms of automating the tedious process.

I was thinking that it would be great if there was a service (i would actually pay for this) that could do this for me where I send my entire mislabeled music library and it gets get cleaned up by someone and sent back to me. So I searched and found nothing like that on the internet. It got me thinking that maybe there could be a market for a business that provides this service ? Probably not going to get rich off of it but i'm just curious if there is a potential market for this.

What do you guys think ? Any feedback is appreciated.
I'm sure some people would use it, I think most would just redownload the stuff with proper tags from torrent sites.

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
There is software that does it automatically. I've bought it before a few years ago. Think it was 10$, just let it run over night. I had something like 22k MP3's and it finished in about a day. Apparently it takes some sort of audio histagram and then compares it to this online database. It's right 90% of the time with confidence and just corrects the mp3 tag, confused 5% of the time and gives you choices so you have to do some clicking once it's done, and it's just lost 5% of the time. Typically this only happens on really strange live recordings, obscure electronic music if you are into that, etc.

I'm sure you could also pay someone on Amazon Turk 2 cents per song or something. Set it up as 2-3 different jobs and compare the results via some little script or program to weed out anyone gaming the system.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
At least for right now...spotify isn't making any money so who knows how long they will be around.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Google Music will be around, so will Apple. There will always be something better than torrenting for music unless society just collapses.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
At least for right now...spotify isn't making any money so who knows how long they will be around.
They'll lower the subscription and increase the amount of ads until people pay for it.

Streaming music IS the future, so it's inevitable. If they don't adjust they'll just end up like Pandora, which no one uses, and Google will take over again.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I still torrent music because I'd rather not use my data plan to listen to music while not at home, but that may not be that often.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I still torrent music because I'd rather not use my data plan to listen to music while not at home, but that may not be that often.
Spotify/Google with sub allow you to download the music to your phone for offline listening - or you can import them if you own it.

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
For someone who doesn't really care but finds it interesting...whats the deal with Spotify not making money?

Also, some phone plans actually have a "music streaming" thing, where if the data is going to music apps it's not part of data!

Palum

what Suineg set it to
They'll lower the subscription and increase the amount of ads until people pay for it.

Streaming music IS the future, so it's inevitable.
If they don't adjust they'll just end up like Pandora, which no one uses, and Google will take over again.
Did you mean specifically the pricing scheme or the idea of cloud based libraries? I agree on the latter, the former is still going to be blocked by licensing issues for years. RIAA has way too much pull. It's the only reason Netflix/Prime/etc. have taken as long as they have.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Not counting the pricing scheme, I just mean cloud-based music collections in general. No reason in this day and age to duplicate music across devices.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
Useful for when you're leaving your coverage area and/or don't have unlimited data. Also nice to be able to just give somebody a few songs to encourage them to check them out. People take a recommendation and then forget about it frequently. If they have the song in hand they'll press play sooner than later.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Not counting the pricing scheme, I just mean cloud-based music collections in general. No reason in this day and age to duplicate music across devices.
Yeah, there is. I'm frequently out of internet or cell service when camping, hiking, skiing, motor-biking etc. Personally I still buy music on iTunes (or very rarely I torrent it), and have most if not all of my music library on my cell phone, tablet, iPod and laptop. There's nothing more obnoxious than getting a good buzz on when you're in the middle of nowhere, going to pass out in your tent/cabin/bunk while listening to the 10 minute version of Three Days from Kettle Whistle (or whatever obscure song you happened to fixate on) and realizing that you don't have it on your device.

I do use the free Google Music and upload my library to it, though. That's handy. But I don't rely on it much.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Yeah, there is. I'm frequently out of internet or cell service when camping, hiking, skiing, motor-biking etc. Personally I still buy music on iTunes (or very rarely I torrent it), and have most if not all of my music library on my cell phone, tablet, iPod and laptop. There's nothing more obnoxious than getting a good buzz on when you're in the middle of nowhere, going to pass out in your tent/cabin/bunk while listening to the 10 minute version of Three Days from Kettle Whistle (or whatever obscure song you happened to fixate on) and realizing that you don't have it on your device.

I do use the free Google Music and upload my library to it, though. That's handy. But I don't rely on it much.
OK, fine let me change my stance. As long as you aren't in the woods there is no reason to duplicate music collections.