Islands (Philippines, Guam, etc)

In what scenario is that a pro?
it's a pro tip.
wink.png

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Anyone have tips for Singapore? Slight chance I have a work trip there (and it's technically an island, right?).
It is indeed an island - but is connected to Malaysia so it doesn't really feel like one. Singapore is one of the great world cities, and is the best of the monster SE Asian cities imo. Its extremely clean, well laid out, and has excellent mass transport options. Everyone speaks great English, and there is a ton of shit to do in your spare time - the food there is second to none.... Lots of Malay influence, Thai, Chinese etc. Its pretty expensive though compared to the countries it surrounds, so bring your pocket book. There are several massive "food malls" with dozens of excellent restaurants built into them.

Aaubert

Silver Knight of the Realm
So my fiance and i are looking at Tahiti or Fiji for our honeymoon late September and early October. However, I am open to all tropical island suggestions. What are the pros and cons v Tahiti and/or Fiji? I know Tahiti is pricey...however its fit into our budget. I am not adverse to getting savings though.
Anyone have experience on multiple islands in Tahiti? Any advice regarding Tahiti or other tropical island honeymoons would be appreciated.
Regarding Fiji - It's glorious, but yeah, can be more expensive than other islands in the region. It's the hub of the Pacific, and if you're into learning/experiencing modern Pacific culture, then the big main island of Viti Levu is great. Chances are.... you're not into that. And you want to go out to one of the tropical island regions, like Tavenui or the others. Buy a Lonely Planet and read up on it- some islands are basically owned by a resort or two, and are big sinkholes for tourists with kids. Some are fantastic tropical luxury getaways. Some are full of waterfalls and jungle... There are thousands of islands, and about a dozen large island groups in Fiji, and they're all fairly different. If you scuba, the place is amazing.

If you want the best pampered but badass experience, get on board the Tui Tai, or another boat like it. (but I've had 2 friends go on the Tui Tai, and each of them LOVED it.) It's a small boat (read 25-40 passengers) that treats you like a cruise ship, but takes you around to a bunch of islands and does rad adventures like waterfall watersliding and stuff with you. Think all the good parts of a big cruise ship (but better food) and none of the bad.

MrBelding_sl

shitlord
I lived in Singapore for 5 years. It's an island technically but don't think island living. It's a busy modern metropolis. There are beaches at Sentosa and the East Coast but they're man-made and have views of cargo ships. It's not a tropical paradise. Expect a shopping mall every few steps, though the stores are almost the same everywhere. Almost everyone speaks English in some form. Eat at hawker centers and food courts to see how locals eat. Most popular place for night life for expats is Clark Quay. If any specific questions let me know.

Senaiel

Silver Knight of the Realm
So fiance and i booked our honeymoon in Tahiti for October. More specifically 3 nights in Moorea and 3 nights in Bora Bora. I've read about quite a bit to do but was inquiring if anyone had some MUST DOs on either island. We are deinitely going to do the normal snorkeling etc. We also plan to do a day of some sea fishing but does anyone have some more unique suggestions?