IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I've been developing on a MBP for maybe 1.5 years now and it is so much better than Windows. I still have no idea how to use the OSX UI really but you can do everything in their close-enough-to-Unix command line. Between that and Homebrew I don't think I'd want to go back to a Windows platform. Only downside is Windows has much more and much freer options for things like XML/XSLT and things of that nature.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
If you're not going to be actively developing on it, I'd definitely go with the Mac for the better screen.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
What does OSX's CLI offer that cygwin doesn't? Honest question, I know OSX is a fork of unix, just never used it.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
What does OSX's CLI offer that cygwin doesn't? Honest question, I know OSX is a fork of unix, just never used it.
With OSX the CLI actually is the operating system rather than a retarded patch on top of it.

moontayle

Golden Squire
Fuck lenovo
Seconded. We bought a Lenovo laptop as a "working" laptop for home (my writing, wife's schoolwork) and the bloatware was just insane. Wiping it to a clean copy of Windows was just painful as hell and I still can't get the built in wifi to work, have to use a usb stub dongle for that.

Tenks

My favorite part of the Mac is how they handle multi-screens on one screen. I love the finger gesture options on the trackpad. I'm not sure if you can get software to do something similar on Windows or not. But its really nice to just 4 finger swipe full-screen windows of Chrome, my IDE and the command line. I far prefer it to having to click the items on the dock like Windows 7.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Fuck man. Fucking old guy Jesus christ. I pushed a pretty substantial change, which he knew, and then proceeded to do something fucking weird in git and got in a state where his local branches had this massive merge conflict. I tried to help him for like an hour but I only have so much patience. Fuck fuck.

I couldn't help but laugh when my boss saw him and did a 180 and left lol

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
We do commit often. My commit today was porting over like 30 files or something and some other changes, took me like 2 hours and he completely ignored it and fucked up everything on his end.

It's just like.. Fuck man if I get a merge conflict I just figure it out. He has to rally the troops.

Also in bios new features can take weeks to create and you can't push until fully tested.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
Aren't you leaving in two weeks? Did you gave the resignation letter already? Just relax, and do the bare minimun.

Vinen

God is dead
Aren't you leaving in two weeks? Did you gave the resignation letter already? Just relax, and do the bare minimun.
This is never a good idea in the tech world. This leads to backdoor references saying LOL, this guy was a dick. Don't hire-

Tenks

Not to mention I'm sure Noodle takes a certain amount of pride in his work and doesn't want to leave everyone there dicks in hand

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
Last two weeks is an easy time to take the high road and show them how a class act does things. Because it's not much of a time investment anyway, it's only two weeks.

Vinen

God is dead
Last two weeks is an easy time to take the high road and show them how a class act does things. Because it's not much of a time investment anyway, it's only two weeks.
Yep. Thats my view. I tend to work harder in the last two weeks. I tend to work on closing out all loose threads that I can to leave on a good note.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
1. I do take pride in my work and love what I do
2. The company, on a whole, has treated me exceptionally well (minus no raises, old guy)
3. I don't burn bridges - BIOS isn't a huge field, I may meet these people again.
4. I have a good work ethic minus posting on rerolled all day.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Well, although our codebase is massive it's just BIOS. It's a 16MB image, so 20 minutes is still pretty long.