IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

Vinen

God is dead
I know MQs aren't considered sexy but RabbitMQ is amazing. I have some down time so I'm trying to teach myself Spring MVC 4+ since I lack almost any knowledge of modern web development and also Rabbit. So far I have a little webapp up where a user registers, saves to a Mongo and they can push messages via the front end into an exchange server set up via Rabbit off a queue based on their user-id. Overall it was a pretty easy experiment even if I find Spring MVC framework to still be a tad magical in how it all works. But that is a pretty common thing with Spring where shit just happens and I don't fully understand it.
RabbitMQ is herpes. Holy shit does the cluster get FUCKED UP when servers are rebooted. Its a nightmare from an operational standpoint.

Document based is where it's at.
GitHub - vmware/xenon: Xenon - Decentralized Control Plane Framework

moontayle

Golden Squire
I know MQs aren't considered sexy but RabbitMQ is amazing. I have some down time so I'm trying to teach myself Spring MVC 4+ since I lack almost any knowledge of modern web development and also Rabbit. So far I have a little webapp up where a user registers, saves to a Mongo and they can push messages via the front end into an exchange server set up via Rabbit off a queue based on their user-id. Overall it was a pretty easy experiment even if I find Spring MVC framework to still be a tad magical in how it all works. But that is a pretty common thing with Spring where shit just happens and I don't fully understand it.
I've been doing something similar with Kotlin. Wasn't keen on learning a new language since I still have miles to go with Java but it's the new hotness in Android development so I dove in and wrote a few small things to get started. After a week or so I started really digging the little shit like type inference and null safety built into it. There's still a lot I'm learning but I like working with it so much I've started doing all new code in Kotlin as opposed to Java.

We are no longer relying on the vendor for bios modifications.. it is now on me again
frown.png
Sorry to hear this Noodle.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Kotlin seems to handle it in a somewhat complicated manner. Or possibly I think their syntax is gross to look at. Also why do they call what essentially looks like a turnery operation Elvis? Groovy does the same thing with someVariable?.someAttribute so it doesn't throw NPE. However since Java 8 Java has adopted Optionals which helps out with some null safety as well. It took me a little while to get on the Optional bandwagon but I like them now since working with Spark for a while.

moontayle

Golden Squire
Elvis operator is called such because on it's side it kind of looks like Elvis' hair and eyes. *shrug*

Android is stuck in Java 6.5 in it's current SDK. You can get some Java 8 features through some plugins and a couple of libraries though, so it's not that big a deal. Android N is supposed to add in some Java 8 features but the jury is still out on that since it's quite a few months away from being finalized.

Tenks

Whats going to happen if in 2 weeks you can't deliver on something? Are they just going to abandon the team completely? The management at your company seems completely fucked up Noods.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
It's because this is all new territory. Apparently they had been planning to hire me (someone in UEFI) for 2 years before they actually did.

It's already happening. There's a major bug that we keep whack a moling. I know they're pissed but I don't know what they want me to do - I came onto a project at the end of its development, the ywanted some crazy features, and now it's buggy as fuck. Just one dev man.

Tenks

Yeah ?. is really convenient. Especially if you're digging multiple levels into an object and have no idea what or where something can or can't be null.

stupidmonkey

Not Smrt
<Gold Donor>
It's because this is all new territory. Apparently they had been planning to hire me (someone in UEFI) for 2 years before they actually did.

It's already happening. There's a major bug that we keep whack a moling. I know they're pissed but I don't know what they want me to do - I came onto a project at the end of its development, the ywanted some crazy features, and now it's buggy as fuck. Just one dev man.
Came onto a project at the end of its development? Did you have them read this?
The Mythical Man-Month - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Tenks

How does that apply to Noodle? MMM implies you throw bodies at a software development project to speed it along. Noodle is running the show himself.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
How does that apply to Noodle? MMM implies you throw bodies at a software development project to speed it along. Noodle is running the show himself.
Also the bug I'm chasing isn't even part of the code - it's part of the procedure they use to update these machines. I don't even know what the fuck is going on anymore.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I just wish someone would push me out a window. I'm on the 7th floor so I am hoping that it will just end my life and my wife will get my insurance payout

Vinen

God is dead
I just wish someone would push me out a window. I'm on the 7th floor so I am hoping that it will just end my life and my wife will get my insurance payout
Still amazed how little you are paid working in Kendall Square.

I only put up with the shit I do due to the fact I know it would be a pain in the ass making the same anywhere outside of Facebook or Amazon in the Boston area.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
He's only got ~3 years experience if I remember right. He's making good money for being out of college for only 3 years.