IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Yeah why do you get these features as one big lump every 3 months? The 3rd party can't commit to your code base?

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I can't break any Ndas here but we purchase the source from them. They sell a one size fits all bios for every customer they have and customers modify it themselves. We have to pull in their updates for critical bug fixes by them and Intel.

It sounds dumb, and it is.

I put all our code changes between ifdefs just so I know what we modify.

Emc did the exact same thing.

Anyways, I just wanted to know if there was a better way.

I just do a beyondcompare on the two folders and then all the differing files I have to manually check. Thankfully not all the code changes, but a lot does.

Vinen

God is dead
I can't break any Ndas here but we purchase the source from them. They sell a one size fits all bios for every customer they have and customers modify it themselves. We have to pull in their updates for critical bug fixes by them and Intel.

I just do a beyondcompare on the two folders and then all the differing files I have to manually check. Thankfully not all the code changes, but a lot does.
Figured that was the case.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
I have a degree in Computer Science... I was just saying that the theory portions of the curriculum are fucking dumb. Data Structures? Interesting class but since all of that shit is handled by libraries you can get. Its just not worth the time to focus on. Practical application of coding to build things is just way more useful, in the terms of CompSci.
TJT is dumb.

Continue the flame wars!!

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Are you telling me that you, in all of your code, handle data structures with code that you write?

As opposed to just using any of the infinite amount of pre-existing frameworks that do it all for you?

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm

You can't break it up so their code doesn't intermix with your own stuff? Like

I'm sure I'm just oversimplifying the problem since I have no knowledge space about how the bios work

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
Are you telling me that you, in all of your code, handle data structures with code that you write?

As opposed to just using any of the infinite amount of pre-existing frameworks that do it all for you?
I'm saying the Data structures class taught me when to use a list, a hashset, a linked list, an array list, Taught me how make a flood algorithm, how to find the path out of a maze, how to make a tick tack toe program. It taught me about O time of data structures, how to compute O times.

All those things were there.
This is my alma mater Data structure curriculum

Be familiar with basic techniques of algorithm analysis
Be familiar with writing recursive algorithms
Master the implementation of linked data structures such as linked lists and binary trees
Be familiar with advanced data structures such as balanced search trees, hash tables, priority queues and the disjoint set union/find data structure
Be familiar with several sub-quadratic sorting algorithms including quicksort, mergesort and heapsort
Be familiar with some graph algorithms such as shortest path and minimum spanning tree
Master the standard data structure library of a major programming language (e.g. java.util in Java 1.2)
Master analyzing problems and writing program solutions to problems using the above techniques

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>

Choosing the proper data structures to use, knowing when they aren't working, and recognizing why is like one of those critical jobs software developers have. Yes everyone uses libraries, but if you couldn't write those libraries from scratch you're just a monkey.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
While Icouldwrite them myself since I don't have to.. I don't. Really not making my point here well enough. I learned most of these things on my own just making shit. This could be just be me and how I do things as I prefer hands on learning over this.

I took the fucking class and I program all day. But the way in which it was taught did not do it for me. That is probably more what I am trying to say.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Choosing the proper data structures to use, knowing when they aren't working, and recognizing why is like one of those critical jobs software developers have. Yes everyone uses libraries, but if you couldn't write those libraries from scratch you're just a monkey.
This makes no sense to me. Are you saying that you have to have the source code and know exactly how everything works to use any third party libraries?

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
You can't break it up so their code doesn't intermix with your own stuff? Like

I'm sure I'm just oversimplifying the problem since I have no knowledge space about how the bios work
Yeah that's just way too oversimplified.

It's more like:

multiply that by 7,000,000

We have to overwrite what they're doing in a lot of places to make sure stuff is initialized properly. Also BIOS runs in phases (PEI, DXE, SMM) and everything is dependent on a million other things.

When you add a brand new feature you can usually make your own files and libraries, but for the most of it you're directly editing their code.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
What Cad said a few months ago really struck true with me also.

Since I have been "consulting" on the side my understanding of architecture, front-end, back-end and everything has grown immensely. Because I am constantly making shit all the fucking time now. Not just one small piece of a huge application.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Yeah that's just way too oversimplified.

It's more like:

multiply that by 7,000,000

We have to overwrite what they're doing in a lot of places to make sure stuff is initialized properly. Also BIOS runs in phases (PEI, DXE, SMM) and everything is dependent on a million other things.

When you add a brand new feature you can usually make your own files and libraries, but for the most of it you're directly editing their code.
Oh god, having to change core functionality at even an if/else level? No thanks. I was under the impression they just provided a suite of functionality that you had to add a variable or parameter to here and there. Sounds like you guys are completely changing the entirety of the functionality if you're even changing logic within. Why even use third party software at that point? Ugh.