IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Look,

I'm the server/desktop guy--not a developer..But I work for a development company (IT in the DFW area? plz send resume)...We have like 4 layers of backup.

And I feel thats inadequate sometimes--There is 0 freaking reason why you should ever loose that much data, that far back. Thats what the shit backups are for.

Want me to come overhaul your shit into something resembling disaster recovery? You'll find my rates are extremely high and not worth it.
Sure, tell them the hardware engineer 1 on floor 7 sent you, sure tey'll badge you in

My stash is finally back up today... 1 week later LOL

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Reminds me to start looking again. Vacation did not recharge me just made me realize how much I hate this place

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Was it enough, ok, great, amazing? Curious how it panned out compared to you expectations or desires.
They met the base I requested. Moving from my current base to the new base is only a 6k move up. However with the annual bonus and profit share it makes out to be about a 30% increase.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Blizzard is a company I'd feel comfortable taking options and bonus as a sure thing.

However, in most scenarios I would treat a bonus exactly as such... a bonus. And I wouldn't weigh that at all in my decision.

Congrats man. You know you're gonna have to change your forum handle now though.

"Tenks, hook me up with a beta invite bro! We've been through so much over the years!"

P.S. Next time don't puss out with the salary requirements. Ask for a 25%+ raise!

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Yeah my company withheld bonuses for several months, they may still be on hold right now. Not a good sign to keep people motivated

Tenks

Blizzard is a company I'd feel comfortable taking options and bonus as a sure thing.

However, in most scenarios I would treat a bonus exactly as such... a bonus. And I wouldn't weigh that at all in my decision.

Congrats man. You know you're gonna have to change your forum handle now though.

"Tenks, hook me up with a beta invite bro! We've been through so much over the years!"

P.S. Next time don't puss out with the salary requirements. Ask for a 25%+ raise!
I probed pretty hard about the profit share and she said it is mostly guaranteed money. She said they have very smart finance people who forecast the year and tell you the profit share bonus ahead of time and that sometimes its a bit more and sometimes a bit less but for the most part they're extremely accurate.

As for the salary I knew from Glassdoor my ballpark range. My base salary is still above what Glassdoor reports as the median for my position.

Also another weird thing (and maybe this is a CA thing) is I'm technically an hourly employee. I asked if there is ever a time they're like "Nah you're working 20 hours this week" and she said she's never heard of that happening. For the most part my 40/wk is treated mostly as salary but the hourly is mostly for CA OT laws. I'm not sure how I feel about that but at least I know legally they can't really work me 10 hours a day unless they want to pay me 2 hours OT.

Khane

I probed pretty hard about the profit share and she said it is mostly guaranteed money. She said they have very smart finance people who forecast the year and tell you the profit share bonus ahead of time and that sometimes its a bit more and sometimes a bit less but for the most part they're extremely accurate.
Not trying to dissuade you or make you nervous about it but every company says this when asked about those things. But like I said Blizzard is the kind of company I'd be comfortable with taking it as truth.

Also another weird thing (and maybe this is a CA thing) is I'm technically an hourly employee. I asked if there is ever a time they're like "Nah you're working 20 hours this week" and she said she's never heard of that happening. For the most part my 40/wk is treated mostly as salary but the hourly is mostly for CA OT laws. I'm not sure how I feel about that but at least I know legally they can't really work me 10 hours a day unless they want to pay me 2 hours OT.
This is probably going to work out in your favor. My current position is hourly and I have a "guaranteed" 40 with time and a half for OT. I've been here for 11 months and work about 5-10 hours a week but always get paid for 40. Best part is even when I only work 10 hours if I have to do a weekend deployment I get paid OT for that. Hourly is awesome. I don't know if I could ever go back to salary after getting paid this way.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
At Emc I was salaried but we put in our time as hourly too. Under rare circumstances they'd pay us OT but generally it was just a thing where we wrote 40 a week

Should clarify. I had an hourly rate I was paid.

Tenks

This is probably going to work out in your favor. My current position is hourly and I have a "guaranteed" 40 with time and a half for OT. I've been here for 11 months and work about 5-10 hours a week but always get paid for 40. Best part is even when I only work 10 hours if I have to do a weekend deployment I get paid OT for that. Hourly is awesome. I don't know if I could ever go back to salary after getting paid this way.
I think it'll work out well too. I'm on an on-call rotation as well so if I put in my 8 during the day and then get a call off-hours that would all be OT.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
At Emc I was salaried but we put in our time as hourly too. Under rare circumstances they'd pay us OT but generally it was just a thing where we wrote 40 a week

Should clarify. I had an hourly rate I was paid.
Assuming you are actually consider hourly by the state, how do companies get away with this once they are big enough to get subject to scrutiny? Is it one of those "well Bob, you spent 12 minutes getting coffee, 45 minutes on breaks and three hours fucking around on speakerphone with Alice in accounting so we're just going to assume you don't want us to get into even more detail about your productivity?"

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I don't know how it works. My boss said to just write 8.0 in for everyday unless we had to work on the weekend

Vinen

God is dead

As for the salary I knew from Glassdoor my ballpark range. My base salary is still above what Glassdoor reports as the median for my position.

If you could predict the market out a year then the stock market would super easy to play... this reeks of fishyness

30% of your salary being profit share and bonus seems pretty low.

Khane

Not sure what sounds fishy. Also, 30% being low for a regular developer who isn't a director or above? Come on now...

Vinen

God is dead
Not sure what sounds fishy. Also, 30% being low for a regular developer who isn't a director or above? Come on now...
That they can accurately predict that targets will be hit.
I need to stop lumping all of California with Silicon Valley in terms of Salary + RSU + Bonus.

Khane

That doesn't sound fishy at all, it sounds like every HR person on earth trying to sell you on the package.