IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

Antilles

Idiot Savaunt
I support taking the BS and joining the workforce for a few years before making a decision about a graduate program. Nothing beats real world experience and he may find he's actually interested in pursuing a different route than he originally intended.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
I support taking the BS and joining the workforce for a few years before making a decision about a graduate program. Nothing beats real world experience and he may find he's actually interested in pursuing a different route than he originally intended.
My guess is it's a time-limited offer... he leaves school and I don't think it's free anymore.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
My guess is it's a time-limited offer... he leaves school and I don't think it's free anymore.

Right, so it's basically this:

1) Lose up to 2-3 years full time BS wages/experience
2) Gain up to 2-3 years tuition free + potential Masters degree

Antilles

Idiot Savaunt
Honestly I assumed that was the case. We had an intern last year that was graduating in May and considering this very option. Ultimately he changed his mind and decided to start working instead. He ended up taking a job with USAA and relocating but he would've had a full time offer from us as well.

It does really depend on what your brother's long term goals are but the graduate degree doesn't necessarily guarantee them anyway, and once he's working he may find his interests are different. It's not entirely the same thing but I always figured I'd get my MBA at a certain point to help make the case for moving into management. As it happened I was able to make that move anyway, twice over, and adding the MBA wouldn't change my circumstances.

I guess I rank finding a work environment you enjoy as the highest priority. If he can do that, it won't be hard for him to get internal support on pursuing advanced education to further his career. These days the good companies will all help pay as well.

wilkxus

<Bronze Donator>
OK brosephs I need your opinions. While I have a tech and software background I never took the career path of a coder so somewhat flying blind here.

I have a brother who is graduating a decent state school with his BS in CS soon, OK GPA but nothing outstanding and he's got 4 years of PT experience working in the lab at the school testing new hardware and software to meet IEEE (I think?) specs.

They've offered him his masters for free if he stays on at the lab.
100% with what wormie said.
It depends on his interests and the work he is interested in. I would advise him for INFORM himself well, and make his own choice based on his interests and the work and career he might like.

Step 1: inform himself
  • research career paths & his industry & hardware/software companies that might employ him. See what they DO, and might WANT to do in FUTURE (2-8 years).
  • postgrad is really about RESEARCH.... so he better like research (that he can then help guide grunts to apply to his design later)
  • If he is not already there yet, then do a lot of talking to grad students, professors and others at the lab and his university to get a *feel* for the hands on work, research, code & projects they are doing.TRY to talk to industry contacts if he can

A lot of Comp-Sci is different from some other areas of research this way because if you are so interested and inclined you can almost just study and go and code in your basement and get very good practical experience. Look at game emulator community for example :)

Self guided learning experience can be VERY highly valued, MUCH more so than just *grades* from a student factory (undergrad Univ).

Step 2: decision
So after informing himself, talking and investigating projects & the work involved, advise him to make his own decision based on IF:
  • he is at all interested in the research or development of something more advanced than just grunt coding and making money.
  • he is an independant thinker with some interesting ideas or an deeper interest in some promising, usefull area of study? (***)
AND
  • .... he has some idea what knowledge & skills will be desired by certain employers that he might like to work for? Basically, make sure there are employers out there that will apply his research.

I would recommend he NOT do MS if he is just doing it for money/job though. Career interest should be there, ballanced with a decent chance of non entry job after. As long as he is not sitting on his ass in school *just doing bare minimum for grades*, and getting some real work experience (coding or relevant specialization) doing his research he should be in a better position finding a NON entry level job after graduating IMHO. His professors and colleagues should be the ones to seek most information and guidance from. His goal is to get a feel for the market and opportunities in the industry related to his interests.

I would just invite him share his findings with you and family so you can provide an ear and some feedback and opinion, but I would let him do all legwork and decision making without specific judgments for him.

(***) If he does NOT know what he wants to do, or is unable to find out and cultivate any contacts socially to inform himself well enough for his satisfaction to make a decision..... then he should probably drop the *deal* and go to work. Coders do not have a long shelf life career wise btw...... you are expected to progress or risk get replaced by university grunts (or worse soon).

Suggested reading: for a little perspective from present....and future:
No, tis not doomsday yet but automated learning systems are looming..... and will be highly disruptive to ALL thinking professions in the especially in the IT market. There are a LOT of grund *simpler* entry level coding jobs out there ready to be pruned ......

I also think the risk is greater because if he doesn't do better at his MS, he's going to be competing a lot with higher GPA undergrads with less pay requirements/expectations and will suffer.

So what is your experience for software engineering and/or hardware/embedded devices? I perceive there to be very little practical value from an MS and that it might make his eventual job search harder rather than easier if he's competing with recent BS grads. It would be very different if he were going to a top school (or ivy league) or going for something like CE or EE in postgrad.

Thanks
I would NOT get him worry much about $$, GPA or any such stuff because once you are in (work).... nobody gives a sh*t if you got a A- or A+ as LONG as you can WORK well and THINK well. In general F*ck grades, most best jobs are gotten through contacts anyhow, shoot for that.

Re: very little practical value from an MS
IMO it would be up to your brother to decide if Masters (or phd) would be a worthwhile specialization towards a particular career path. If he so chooses he might want to obtain self guided learning/research for MORE (specific) experience but ONLY for certain jobs, at certain companies (for him to figure out).

Once you are in the industry and get some software dev & lifecycle experience, it would not be difficult to change tracks into different area. It can often be a great asset (broader vs narrower experience). See Noodleface Noodleface here for example.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Yea, my bigger worry is he doesn't actually know what he wants to do. Even within the general sphere of "programming" he could work in tons of different areas and companies. Seems like the default with an MS is "don't need" for all the jobs he THINKS he might like.

BrotherWu

MAGA
<Silver Donator>
I've finally decided to shit or get off the pot and I'm the process of setting up an LLC (and website, etc.), hoping to pick up some side work, hoping to transition to full time consulting. My background has been mostly C firmware but I also have some C#/.NET and Java/Android experience.

People who have done this before, how have you locked down your first remote job? I took a look on some of the bid sites and I could make more flipping burgers than bidding coding jobs against Indians. I have some leads on some local stuff but I'd like to land a project of at least a couple of months to get things going. I often ask recruiters who contact me about telecommuting but the opportunities seem to be rare.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
What sites do you use for looking for consulting jobs?

Im wondering if my company would let me consult on the side. I have the same experience as you with the C firmware.

wilkxus

<Bronze Donator>
Yea, my bigger worry is he doesn't actually know what he wants to do. Even within the general sphere of "programming" he could work in tons of different areas and companies. Seems like the default with an MS is "don't need" for all the jobs he THINKS he might like.
Gotcha.

MS prob out then.... but....before diving into looking for work, I would still advise him to inform self and talk with and look at what research groups at school work on. People often will gladly share and actually let you see and demonstrate and explain stuff just for fun!

Doing a little career research will also be very helpfull to find the right job fit, and demonstrate some knowledge and interest to interviewers to LAND the job :). That is where doing leg-work to inform himself might really pay off and is MORE important than just grades. Grades just show effort in school, NOT inteligence or fit for job. Demonstrating interest, awareness and aptitude for the work you might be doing at a company is much more important.

People really should be guided to get more insight (beyond courses) into the code of projects and research in the field while at University IMO. It is something he WILL eventually need if he wants to go explore options beyond grunt coder anyhow.
Being in touch with current trends and research SHOULD be part of every developers responsability to himself (or he will be obsolete VERY fast and discarded very fast).

Looking seriously into his prospective field will pay dividends down the road is more important career wise than worrying about the first job or $$. For the most part, first jobs will be noob positions @ noob grunt salary that will give people experience that will open a ton of doors regardless :)

Just IMO based on my experiences including hiring/firing :), hope that helps.

BrotherWu

MAGA
<Silver Donator>
What sites do you use for looking for consulting jobs?

Im wondering if my company would let me consult on the side. I have the same experience as you with the C firmware.

Freelancer.com is one example but there are a few others like it. I know plenty of people that bill 8 to 10 times those rates that have the same background as us but jobs mostly come from personal connections.

I'm at the point that I don't care what my company thinks. I would be happy to give up some security for more flexibility and a chance to make some serious cash.

Also looking at some startup ops and those might be a way to build a safety net by transitioning smoothly.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Sounds like he should really figure out what he wants to do. Unfortunately it doesn't seem like he really got out and experienced programming & development "in the real world" and has been insulated just in the academic lab. My biggest fear for him would be he graduates with an MS and still only knows about software development from an extremely theoretical level and realizes once he starts to do it for a company it isn't his thing. But honestly he should have figured that out years ago. If it was me I'd take the free masters and I'm not even a strong proponent of school. It really comes down to if he wants to be an everyday software developer there is almost no purpose in having a masters but it also sounds like he has no clue so taking a few more years may be valuable. Like Viven said there are some jobs out there which require higher education in computer science but generally the people getting those jobs are at near-genius levels and not just guys sitting on an "ok" GPA from a non-namebrand school.

That also said I work with a guy who went BS -> MS and he's a very good developer and of course I work with guys without degrees. Software development is kind of a crapshoot.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Emc used to hire newly graduated masters degree recipients into software engineer 2 or senior roles. Depends on the company. After your first job it's not gonna matter too much unless you're going for your PhD

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Masters seems pointless for software development. But if one wants to do something more sciency and mathy, a Masters is most likely the minimum required.