IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
The cert is thrown on the webserver which means you can grab it from anywhere really. I highly suggest that you use the Lets Encrypt cert @Chris like genj suggested but you can also put Cloudflare in front of it as well which will do the same thing while also obfuscating the IP of your server.

Let me know if you have any web server questions and I will try to give you a hand.

On most shared hosting they don't give you access to your apache conf so it's kind of impossible to point the server to the cert. Some will install a cert for you, but that's going to suck having to remember to send them your new LE cert every 3 months.

Don't get me wrong, I think LE is the way to go if you CAN do it. You just need to figure that out first.

edit: I'd also recommend having shell and cron access so you can script your renewal and never think about it again.

Last edited:

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
On most shared hosting they don't give you access to your apache conf so it's kind of impossible to point the server to the cert. Some will install a cert for you, but that's going to suck having to remember to send them your new LE cert every 3 months.

Don't get me wrong, I think LE is the way to go if you CAN do it. You just need to figure that out first.

edit: I'd also recommend having shell and cron access so you can script your renewal and never think about it again.
Oh, I don't use shared hosting so that would annoy the shit out of me. I had no clue they were that restrictive.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Lendarios Lendarios or anyone else: I have a quick bit of SQL for review.

Basically want to do some bulk updates/clean up in our CRM and ERP, neither of which have tools created by the developer to handle this. A combination of legacy data, poor data quality management, etc and we have all the issues you'd expect.

Will be starting with the ERP which has just under 30k records in the Customers table and the idea is to just dump the fields I want to fix/standardize into Excel, fix everything and then push it back into the database with the script below.

Used these links as a guide:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sq...t-data-from-excel-to-sql?view=sql-server-2014
Insert, Update or Delete Data in SQL Server from Excel

SQL:
UPDATE c
SET
    c.CustomerName = t.newCustomerName,
    c.Address = t.newAddress,
    c.City = t.newCity,
    c.State = t.newState,
    c.Zip = t.newZip,
    c.UpdatorID = t.UpdatorID
    c.LastUpdate = t.LastUpdate

FROM ARCustomers c
    INNER JOIN OPENROWSET('Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0',
    'Excel 12.0; Database=C:\Desktop\eaCustomerRecords.xlsx',
    'SELECT CustomerID, newCustomerName, newAddress, newCity, newState, newZip, LastUpdate, UpdatorID
    FROM [UPDATE_Customer$]') t
    ON c.CustomerID = t.CustomerID

GO
SELECT top(100)* FROM ARCustomers

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
ToeMissile ToeMissile
Is this a one time thing?
Another path is Can you install Sql server Management Studio?
From it you can import directly from excel into your tables using the import wizard, then modify the data.

If you are going to do this regurlary, then I suggest an SSIS package that will connect to excel and modify the data all in one shot. Also SSIS (SQl Server Integration Services) packages are super optimized and will work with yuuuuuge sets of data without an issue.

Your query looks good.

An SSIS package is very simple if you want, we can do a tutorial on them =)

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
+1 to everyone who said anything about Let's Encrypt. Most of the SSL vendors are shit and cut corners (see: Symantec). Certs being expensive is mind-boggling to me because it literally costs them next-to-nothing, just whatever they sink into their security programs protecting their top-level private keys.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

ToeMissile

<Gold Donor>
ToeMissile ToeMissile
Is this a one time thing?
Another path is Can you install Sql server Management Studio?
From it you can import directly from excel into your tables using the import wizard, then modify the data.

If you are going to do this regurlary, then I suggest an SSIS package that will connect to excel and modify the data all in one shot. Also SSIS (SQl Server Integration Services) packages are super optimized and will work with yuuuuuge sets of data without an issue.

Your query looks good.

An SSIS package is very simple if you want, we can do a tutorial on them =)

It won't be a one time thing, but after a couple rounds on a few tables in each DB it'll just be once a quarter or something to cover anything that isn't fixed as one offs by the users.
That said, we did look at DQS/SSIS after reading about the basic functionality, but realized an enterprise license required and we have standard. Enterprise is quiiiite a bit more from what I've seen, though the IT manager is getting a quote and we're going to see what we can throw together for justification. We just moved the ERP db from on prem 2008R2 to 2014 on Azure

I do have SSMS installed and messed around with it connected to my AWS instance, but got the 'provider not registered' errors. I was able to add a couple hundred records but updating via the query and through SSMS + the CSV or XLSX returned the error. A little googling and it seems like it's a 32 vs 64 bit thing but I didn't have a chance to dig much more.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
OK lets back track.. Why AWS?
Is that where your company data is?

You can install the SQL server engine locally and just import/export the data from your local PC.

Regarding the provider not found try this one
Download Microsoft Access Database Engine 2010 Redistributable from Official Microsoft Download Center

You can also install locally the developer version of SQL and do everything on your local PC with a scheduled task. You can also have things fired automatically with Hangfire.

SQL Server Downloads | Microsoft

You can also go the azure route and pay $10 a month for access.

Last edited:

ToeMissile

<Gold Donor>
OK lets back track.. Why AWS?
Is that where your company data is?

You can install the SQL server engine locally and just import/export the data from your local PC.

Regarding the provider not found try this one
Download Microsoft Access Database Engine 2010 Redistributable from Official Microsoft Download Center

You can also install locally the developer version of SQL and do everything on your local PC with a scheduled task. You can also have things fired automatically with Hangfire.

SQL Server Downloads | Microsoft

You can also go the azure route and pay $10 a month for access.
I wasn't too clear:

The AWS account/db is my own test/learning environment which I started using only a couple weeks ago, I've only written data queries in the past for reporting.

The company's ERP and associated db is on Azure, I only have read access.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
go ahead and install locally SQL server Developer edition, that will let you play around with everything.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
They told me to brush up on perl today... Barf. Actually perl is fine but I really hate regex

• 2Cringe
Reactions: 1 users

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
Whats wrong with perl? I mean I don't particularly love it or anything, but I did some state of the art shit with it back in the day.

Your new project got an intel component? I used to work for an intel outfit and regexing with perl was my main task.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Nah,and I don't even know how much regex they use. Just that when I was reading perl tutorials there were massive sections for regex

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Whats wrong with perl? I mean I don't particularly love it or anything, but I did some state of the art shit with it back in the day.

Your new project got an intel component? I used to work for an intel outfit and regexing with perl was my main task.
It's a scripting language with worse readability than C++. Someone told me it was "writing squiglies", I found that pretty apt.

ToeMissile

<Gold Donor>
go ahead and install locally SQL server Developer edition, that will let you play around with everything.
I have it installed on my home media/plex box.

Did confirm that the above query wouldn't work because SSMS is 32bit and the Access/Jet drivers i have installed are 64bit as my office install is 64 bit. Apparently can't have 32 and 64 installed at the same time.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
It's a scripting language with worse readability than C++. Someone told me it was "writing squiglies", I found that pretty apt.
The problem with perl, and most scripting I've seen done professionally, is it's always quick and dirty and therefore illegible

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
I don't think it's inherently less readable than anything. I've debugged and refactored lots of "legacy" scripts and wouldn't rank the perl ones as the hardest.

Python is definitely more prolific now, but back in the day perl gave us system admins amazing agility to do very complex things that wouldve been very cumbersome in shell.

You could also set up offline mirrors of cpan which was perfect for classified networks.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Well I've.spent about a week researching perl because it.took that long for my classified account. Isnt gonna be so bad

Needless

Toe Sucker
Theres a react conf livestream if people are interested in React:
Or if you just like seeing men in dresses talk infront of a crowd too