IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
I mean, sure, nothing's impossible. But it would be a pain in the ass. We typically have each dev work separately on their own device and it's worked well so far. It's just this one dude is dragging his feet. In his defense, this is his first time working on this stuff and there's lots to learn. Also he just had his first child so I suspect that's slowing him down as well.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Just know that them asking you to go on with this - they're probably asking you to take it over completely. At 4 months this guy is proving incompetent. I'd probably recommend sitting with awhile and going through his code with him one on one, but I'm not even sure how much code 4 months worth of work actually is. We only assign a second engineer when the primary engineer is fucking up bad.

If I were that dude I'd definitely be shitting my pants.

Kinda funny but occasionally I have to go to other sites and work with various teams. Landscape has changed a lot since I last worked here. But a few times now I've met up with people and teams and they're shaking my hand and welcoming me back. AND I HAVE NO IDEA WHO THEY ARE.

One dude requested a meeting with me and was ultra excited I was back, and I swear to Christ I had never even heard his name before. He told my PM all about how excited he was. No goddamn idea who he is.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Clearly they've seen your stream and know what a strong guild leader you are.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Just know that them asking you to go on with this - they're probably asking you to take it over completely. At 4 months this guy is proving incompetent. I'd probably recommend sitting with awhile and going through his code with him one on one, but I'm not even sure how much code 4 months worth of work actually is. We only assign a second engineer when the primary engineer is fucking up bad.

If I were that dude I'd definitely be shitting my pants.

Kinda funny but occasionally I have to go to other sites and work with various teams. Landscape has changed a lot since I last worked here. But a few times now I've met up with people and teams and they're shaking my hand and welcoming me back. AND I HAVE NO IDEA WHO THEY ARE.

One dude requested a meeting with me and was ultra excited I was back, and I swear to Christ I had never even heard his name before. He told my PM all about how excited he was. No goddamn idea who he is.
Admit it, you left some spicy bios software somewhere with "Noodle was here"

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
Little noodle fan club?

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
Last month i went on a tirade on comments on code because the indian software we are interfaceing with via JSON returns null strings as "null"

Code:
{ "MiddleName": "null" }

the levels of enrage i experienced.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
We had discovery today to see which stories we could split to other devs. One story was to add support for a particular communication mode this device can be in. WELL, guess what? He copy-pasted code from an existing device that doesn't support this kind of communication flow. His current one is very explicit -- each step in the communication is expected to be in particular order. The mode to be supported can actually allow for any message to be in any order.

So, his entire architecture is wrong. Now we'll need to shoe-horn in support for this.

That's why I'm not a particular fan of Agile. Granted, maybe we're doing it wrong, but it always feels like we're just winging it along later to learn that our design, from a conceptual standpoint, is flawed.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I understand your frustation, but I cannot count how many times I was asked to get something done ASAP at the 11th hour and had to try to cobble something together without ever really being give the full picture of requirements.

When I go back to edit some of the code I have written myself over the years I just think "what the fuck was I thinking?"

Could be he's an imbecile but a lot of the time we look at other people's code and judge it as if they had all the time in the world to design, architect and then code it.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
Do you have a team.leader? Someone to provide him with guidance ?

Where is he supposed to learn all this if it is his first time?

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Could be he's an imbecile but a lot of the time we look at other people's code and judge it as if they had all the time in the world to design, architect and then code it.
No, again in his defense, this is his first time doing one of these. And he was given a VERY complicated device. The product owner needed this release to get out by Feb 1 so any available dev at the time had to pick it up -- and it was him.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Do you have a team.leader? Someone to provide him with guidance ?

Where is he supposed to learn all this if it is his first time?
No, thrown to the wolves so to speak. There's no team "leader". There's this one guy who is most familiar with this shit product, but he's being pulled in thousand different directions.

And that's another thing. The company is putting a lot of weight on this product to be a bread winner. But it's literally like we're supposedly selling boats that can sail around the world but in reality they are canoes -- with holes in them. It's an old-ass ASP.NET WebForms app. It's ugly as sin. Totally embarrassing that we're selling this to clients. But time to market and all that -- can't design something new from scratch.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
It reads like is not his fault. Your company has a very inefficient software developing model.
It is not being agile or waterfall or campband; you are simply setup incorrectly from the start.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Yeah doesnt sound like a good environment honestly. Sounds like you're sort of doing scrum but missing the point of it. Shouldn't be any stories taking 4 months

Rude

Potato del Grande
I thought stories were supposed to be doable within sprints? And sprints are 2 weeks?

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Sprints can be variable lengths, with I think 2 maybe bring standard (but I hate two week sprints, prefer 3 or 4). Any stories longer than a sprint should be broken out into an epic

ShakyJake

<Donor>
For us it's Feature -> Stories. Sprints are 1.5 weeks.

We use TFS so we, the team, refer to everything as a "PBI" (product backlog item). PBIs have a user story and ideally try to fit into a single sprint.