IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

elonm00sk

Molten Core Raider
I work on a large engineering team that has several UMN alumni. One or two of them wrote letters to the university leadership saying they would stop donating unless they dick slap this professor, hard. Seems like it worked.

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
Not that Im qualified for that - just curious : is remote okay for something like that? If so, how does the pay even work in that scenario?

We are a global company, remote is ok with some occassional office visits. Pay works how it always works for a W2 employee ;)

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
What are you testing by submitting bogus updates to a kernel though?
Detection and speed of reversion of the update. Also how far down the tree they will go to prune out U of MN submissions.

The doubling down is just infuriating. Take the L, make an actual apology, and own the fuck up.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I mean the principle itself isn't without merit as a thought exercise. But you're a massive fucking asshole because you think "well lets just use one of these massive open source projects because we can submit to them as much as we want!" Rather than any kind of controlled environment. Big tech would be interested in that result, maybe you could partner with them and fuck up one of their less important projects for some kind of data gathering.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Isn't this essentially what pen testing is? The only novel part of this guy's "experiment" is he didn't get explicit consent first.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
You'd have to be reasonably intelligent to intentionally submit security flaws under the guise of planned updates on the work/sprint schedule and these are academics. I would absolutely get shut down for submitting an "update" without being able to demonstrate exactly what it updated to the lead engineer or anyone on the team who asked.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Isn't this essentially what pen testing is? The only novel part of this guy's "experiment" is he didn't get explicit consent first.
No. The only differences between a pentest and active attack/exploitation is that consent is given and the details afterwards are provided... neither of those were effectively happening in this case. Sometimes it might not be the direct owner/maintainer giving the consent, but someone up the food/management chain provides the ok and someone gets the report.

The idea of it being a "pentest" is that the results are fed back to the owner for improvement. That wasn't the point, as it was being used in a study and not being fed back to the Linux kernel group until after the study was being published. Even then, it isn't "novel" that the experiment didn't get consent; with pentesting SOMEONE gives consent first, even if it isn't the direct owner.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
I mean the principle itself isn't without merit as a thought exercise. But you're a massive fucking asshole because you think "well lets just use one of these massive open source projects because we can submit to them as much as we want!" Rather than any kind of controlled environment. Big tech would be interested in that result, maybe you could partner with them and fuck up one of their less important projects for some kind of data gathering.
Keyword there... "partner"

You don't go doing unauthorized penetration testing and then act surprised when they are mad at you.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Hey Nerds.

What's a good way for someone with next to zero coding experience to learn Javascript (at home, self guided) so I can take advantage of this - Overview | ArcGIS API for JavaScript ?

I've been using "SoloLearn" for a little bit to try to chip away at it, but I even need to go back to a Programming 101 type of thing before even getting to javascript 101.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Hey Nerds.

What's a good way for someone with next to zero coding experience to learn Javascript (at home, self guided) so I can take advantage of this - Overview | ArcGIS API for JavaScript ?

I've been using "SoloLearn" for a little bit to try to chip away at it, but I even need to go back to a Programming 101 type of thing before even getting to javascript 101.
I dont know about Javascript, but I tried sololearn and it felt like it would be fine.. then all of a sudden you are presented a problem with shit that hasnt even been covered yet. Not that this helps your question, just insisting on you trying other apps.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
That app actually helped me with a lot of stuff I've already been able to do, but most of the hangups for me have been trying to work with arrays.....and I'm getting impatient because I have shit I want to get done but my lack of python & Javascript abilities are the cockblock

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
That app actually helped me with a lot of stuff I've already been able to do, but most of the hangups for me have been trying to work with arrays.....and I'm getting impatient because I have shit I want to get done but my lack of python & Javascript abilities are the cockblock
What are you trying to make? What are you trying to do with arrays?

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
This thread needs some big brain memes. I present true randomness:

20210509_111955.jpg

• 2Worf
  • 1Galaxy Brain
Reactions: 2 users

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
So. I have a question. Can you be forced into management?
"Yes" your employer can assign you management duties as a part of a role, unless you're in a union. Otoh you can get another job.